Anyone Keeping Up With the January 6th Riot?

Page 16 of 23 [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 3:20 am

This is what the right is capable of when it wants to make a real show of force, and this was simply a state level event (in Virginia, which as you know is next door to DC):

ImageImageImage

I even found some black guys for you, though I couldn't find the picture I was looking for, which features some guys from one of my gun boards including the mods, who are wearing gear worth a pretty decent car in the photo, lol.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 3:23 am

Brictoria wrote:
Maybe it was as squeaky-clean as some portray (although an election without some - however small - amount of fraud would be a rarity), but the appearance provided by those who claimed the 2016 election was marred by "Russian collusion" and demanding (and getting) investigations, then turning around and doing everything in their power to prevent investigations which would (based on their statements) have supported the assertion that there was no fraud, rather than welcoming the investigations, certainly didn't help matters and is probably the main reason why so many question the results now...

I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again; I don't believe the election was stolen, but I wouldn't trust the media and institutional elites to tell us if it were.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 4:16 am

Brictoria wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

They themselves said they were there to force congress to change the election results, and I take them at their word. Don't ask me whey they hadn't taken guns with them.

Protestors always say they're there to accomplish something, that doesn't follow automatically that they were there to violently overthrow the government, and the lack of firearms coupled with the way they behaved once inside the capitol, milling around, taking selfies, stealing podiums, etc suggests that they never had a plan for a violent coup. They may well have thought that showing up in force and demonstrating that they weren't going to accept what they saw as an illegitimate election would force congress to act in their favor, then it got out of hand.

Kraichgauer wrote:
I have never said the violent actions of liberal mobs were justified. I will say this, though: at least BLM's complaints were based in the reality of police violence, whereas there isn't an iota of evidence to back of the notion that Biden stole the election. At least nothing based in sanity.

You know what I'll give the capitol rioters even though I think there cause was stupid? At least they attacked a government building and not some innocent businesses that just happened to be in the area when they decided to get violent, I'll never understand that aspect of the Summer of Floyd protests, or left wing protests generally, and their defenders in the media. Do you remember "fiery but peaceful protests", or "property destruction is not violence, they have insurance"? I'd accept a lot more of the left wing hand-wringing over this event if I hadn't just witnessed that going on all year, with all the excuses being made for it. I'll even give you that protesting police violence is an inherently noble cause, but don't try and claim it's totally different when other groups use the same tactics and you don't like their cause.

If changing the results of a lawful national election wasn't an insurrection to overthrow the government, I'd like to know what is.
I never said burning businesses was legitimate. Then again, hardly every demonstrator had been involved in that. And as I already stated, at least their grievances were based in reality.

The old circular arguement?

Maybe it was as squeaky-clean as some portray (although an election without some - however small - amount of fraud would be a rarity), but the appearance provided by those who claimed the 2016 election was marred by "Russian collusion" and demanding (and getting) investigations, then turning around and doing everything in their power to prevent investigations which would (based on their statements) have supported the assertion that there was no fraud, rather than welcoming the investigations, certainly didn't help matters and is probably the main reason why so many question the results now...

The senatorial Republicans didn't want to find Russian collusion, putting party and President above country and constitution.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 4:20 am

Dox47 wrote:
This is what the right is capable of when it wants to make a real show of force, and this was simply a state level event (in Virginia, which as you know is next door to DC):

ImageImageImage

I even found some black guys for you, though I couldn't find the picture I was looking for, which features some guys from one of my gun boards including the mods, who are wearing gear worth a pretty decent car in the photo, lol.

And they went away looking like demented fascists. Maybe someone in their ranks realized showing up with firearms was counterproductive, and that storming the building to terrify the elected senators and representatives would work out just fine in forcing them to cancel the election results (as if they ever had that power).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 4:23 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
If changing the results of a lawful national election wasn't an insurrection to overthrow the government, I'd like to know what is.

Protesting an election is not insurrection; do you not remember all the protests against Trump's election? You keep assuming facts not in evidence, that it was planned as a violent attack, when that isn't known, and what facts we do know make at least as good if not a better case for a protest turned violent.

For your theory to be true, you have to accept the idea that American right wingers, and we're talking the craziest of the bunch, some of the most heavily armed people on earth, showed up intending to overthrow the government with improvised weapons and bear spray, where as mine merely requires some nuts to have shown up to make some noise and things got out of hand. It's not even close with the evidence we currently have, and I'll happily admit to getting it wrong if some kind of master plan emerges at the trials, but I wouldn't bet on it, the media would be trumpeting it far and wide if there was any evidence at all.

No, protesting an election isn't necessarily an insurrection, but using force of any kind to try reversing the will of the American people is.
A police officer died because of that "improvised bear spray."

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 6:36 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

That is an absolute lie, it was conclusively proven that the officer who died shortly after the event had an unrelated stroke, the only person who died violently on that day was the unarmed woman shot by the cops.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 6:50 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
And they went away looking like demented fascists. Maybe someone in their ranks realized showing up with firearms was counterproductive, and that storming the building to terrify the elected senators and representatives would work out just fine in forcing them to cancel the election results (as if they ever had that power).

As if you'd recognize fascism if it stopped you in the street and demanded your papers, armed citizens protesting government control is the opposite of fascism. The point is that 22,000 heavily armed and armored people showed up, and if they'd wanted to storm that building and have their way with the governor and his lackeys, they could have done so quite easily. A serious attempt to overthrow not just a state government but the entire US government would have at the minimum looked like that but bigger, not some shirtless nuts with viking helmets taking selfies in the capitol. If that had been the plan, do you really think they'd care about the optics? "Well, we're going to take over the capitol, hang Pence, execute the liberal congresspeople and reinstall God Emperor Donald, but let's try not to look too crazy while we do it, wouldn't want the liberals watching on tv to think we look like fascists". Do you not realize how dumb that sounds, what a reach it is trying to preserve your unsupportable view?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 7:34 am

I thought we weren't supposed to project/read minds Doxy? How do you know AOC didn't have PTSD/flashbacks to her own sexual assault, Yes she may have gotten overly paranoid but that's what PTSD does to people. And BTW its not a great look being a male and telling a female who is a sexual assault survivor to "suck it up"

Re: Dr Blasey-Ford, strangely the very same argument was used to successfully charge Bill Cosby with assaults he committed on women who were also accused of also keeping quiet for years. What makes Dr Blaisey-Ford different to the young starlets who Cosby assaulted is that she is a credible victim given she spent years as a clinical psychologist counselling women in her clinic who also experienced rape/PTSD and likely many thousands of rape victims were compelled to repress the events in fear they will be accused of lying.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 8:07 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

That is an absolute lie, it was conclusively proven that the officer who died shortly after the event had an unrelated stroke, the only person who died violently on that day was the unarmed woman shot by the cops.

She was in the process of breaking into a restricted part of the capitol that's protected by armed guards for the safety of lawmakers. It was pretty much suicide by cop. If anyone deserves empathy, it's the person she made pull a trigger to protect others from her and those with her.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 8:08 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

As if you'd recognize fascism if it stopped you in the street and demanded your papers, armed citizens protesting government control is the opposite of fascism. The point is that 22,000 heavily armed and armored people showed up, and if they'd wanted to storm that building and have their way with the governor and his lackeys, they could have done so quite easily. A serious attempt to overthrow not just a state government but the entire US government would have at the minimum looked like that but bigger, not some shirtless nuts with viking helmets taking selfies in the capitol. If that had been the plan, do you really think they'd care about the optics? "Well, we're going to take over the capitol, hang Pence, execute the liberal congresspeople and reinstall God Emperor Donald, but let's try not to look too crazy while we do it, wouldn't want the liberals watching on tv to think we look like fascists". Do you not realize how dumb that sounds, what a reach it is trying to preserve your unsupportable view?

Umm, trump is a fascist (according to many political commentators and the literal definition of fascist/fascism) sooo 22,000 armed protesters did their thing in support of his fascist wet dreams..

Last edited by goldfish21 on 16 Aug 2021, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 8:13 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

She was in the process of breaking into a restricted part of the capitol that's protected by armed guards for the safety of lawmakers. It was pretty much suicide by cop. If anyone deserves empathy, it's the person she made pull a trigger to protect others from her and those with her.

If she broke into my house ,and had climbed in my bedroom window like that ,I would most likely shoot her.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 8:19 am

There is too much zero sum game type arguments to a multifaceted event.

IMHO 1/6 started out as a disruptive protest that do to a combination of giddy cockiness the result of unexpected success and mob mentally morphed into a failed insurrection.

Just because they were not armed with guns does not mean they were not armed.

Just because it was a failed insurrection does not mean it was not an insurrection.

Even if then original intent was not insurrection that is what it became.

Just because the rioters were under the mistaken impression they were protecting democracy does not mean they were not engaging in an insurrection.

Just because the BLM inspired riots are too often excused and downplayed(the attacks on police stations, ICE headquarters etc were insurrections) does not mean 1/6 was not an insurrection.

The downplaying and excusing of the BLM inspired is not a reason to downplay or excuse 1/6. There is no reason to excuse or downplay 1/6.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 3:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I thought we weren't supposed to project/read minds Doxy? How do you know AOC didn't have PTSD/flashbacks to her own sexual assault, Yes she may have gotten overly paranoid but that's what PTSD does to people.

I'm not claiming to read her mind, I'm disputing her claim that she was ever in danger, let alone of being raped. She can say she felt whatever she want, I don't care about her feelings, I only care about the actual facts, which are that she was far from the action and that no threat of a sexual nature was directed her way.

cyberdad wrote:
And BTW its not a great look being a male and telling a female who is a sexual assault survivor to "suck it up"

Literally don't care.

cyberdad wrote:
Re: Dr Blasey-Ford, strangely the very same argument was used to successfully charge Bill Cosby with assaults he committed on women who were also accused of also keeping quiet for years. What makes Dr Blaisey-Ford different to the young starlets who Cosby assaulted is that she is a credible victim given she spent years as a clinical psychologist counselling women in her clinic who also experienced rape/PTSD and likely many thousands of rape victims were compelled to repress the events in fear they will be accused of lying.

Cosby had many accusers telling credible stories that all sounded eerily similar, and the rumors about him had been well known for decades; Ford was the only person to ever accuse Kavanaugh of any kind of misconduct, no one could corroborate her account despite a pressure campaign to do so, and she couldn't even prove that they'd been in the same room as the man she accused at the time period in question. I don't care how personally credible you may find her, she had no evidence, not even the flimsy kind, and that shouldn't be enough to drag someone through the mud and try to ruin their life.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 3:41 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

And was shot at close range with no warning by a cop who was in no immediate danger and had backup right behind him. If this had happened at a violent racial justice protest under similar circumstances, they'd probably still be in the streets burning down Targets for her.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 3:49 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Umm, trump is a fascist (according to many political commentators and the literal definition of fascist/fascism) sooo 22,000 armed protesters did their thing in support of his fascist wet dreams..

Oh boy... Many political commentators are drooling morons, and fascist is so debased as a word that it practically means any government that the person saying it doesn't like. Go ahead, try to define fascism and how it fits Trump, and I'll make it fit Biden, or Obama, it's worthless as an actual term. Also, if Trump was a real fascist, why did he downplay the virus and avoid seeking a larger role for the state during the lockdowns? If ever there were a moment for an authoritarian dictator to emerge in American politics and seize power, this pandemic has been it, Democrats have been practically begging for it, Trump wouldn't have needed any sort of Reichstag fire incident, the plague was the greatest opportunity an actual Nazi in waiting could of asked for. Trump was a grifter and a clown, not a would be Hitler.

Those pictures I posted were also from a gun rights rally in Virginia, not a Trump event, as I clearly stated, so maybe pay attention next time?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 3:51 pm

Misslizard wrote:
If she broke into my house ,and had climbed in my bedroom window like that ,I would most likely shoot her.

That's not a valid comparison, a homeowner defending from a break in has much different rules than a cop standing with other cops who's not in any actual danger from someone crawling over a barricade. He didn't attempt any non lethal or restraint techniques, he just shot her in the neck practically point blank.