Anyone Keeping Up With the January 6th Riot?

Page 17 of 23 [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 3:57 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

The downplaying and excusing of the BLM inspired is not a reason to downplay or excuse 1/6. There is no reason to excuse or downplay 1/6.

I have no interest in downplaying or excusing the event, that was a violent riot resulting in injuries and property damage, and the perpetrators should be dealt with appropriately, but it also shouldn't be overplayed, which is what is happening because it's politically advantageous to do so. Even the "it started as a riot but turned into an insurrection" theory doesn't really hold water in light of the behavior of the rioters once they got inside the building, taking selfies and souvenirs is not the stuff of a government overthrow.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 4:13 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
If she broke into my house ,and had climbed in my bedroom window like that ,I would most likely shoot her.

That's not a valid comparison, a homeowner defending from a break in has much different rules than a cop standing with other cops who's not in any actual danger from someone crawling over a barricade. He didn't attempt any non lethal or restraint techniques, he just shot her in the neck practically point blank.

She could have been armed, not a good idea to wait and see with what,and she was breaking in.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 4:29 pm

Misslizard wrote:

She could have been armed, not a good idea to wait and see with what,and she was breaking in.

So you think the cops should just light people up with no warning because they "could have been armed"?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 5:15 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

So you think the cops should just light people up with no warning because they "could have been armed"?

Nope.This is nowhere the same as an unarmed person being shot during a traffic stop.
No one could tell if she was or wasn’t armed.There were unarmed civilians at risk, I imagine any officer would have done the same .
I doubt a taser would have reached that far.
And if one gained access ,more would follow, and the situation would have been out of control.
The officer had no choice.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 1:07 am

Misslizard wrote:
Nope.This is nowhere the same as an unarmed person being shot during a traffic stop.
No one could tell if she was or wasn’t armed.There were unarmed civilians at risk, I imagine any officer would have done the same .
And if one gained access ,more would follow, and the situation would have been out of control.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/capitol-s ... 9180613572

The shot is at about the 30 second mark; he was so close he could have touched her, no warning given, and he had plenty of backup all around him.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 6:30 am

Dox47 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

The shot is at about the 30 second mark; he was so close he could have touched her, no warning given, and he had plenty of backup all around him.

It's amusing to see MAGAs claiming outlandish things like the Antifa dressed up as Trump supporters or (this is hilarious) the FBI planned to whole thing to oust their orange headed messiah.

I've had a look at the video and there's two reasons why the MAGAs and far right failed in making Babbitt a white version of George Floyd

First, Babbitt’s death is fairly well documented. At least one riot participant captured footage of the shooting while standing mere feet away from Babbitt. Snippets of the final moments of the encounter can be seen on a bodycam worn by other officers who had just arrived behind the rioters. They show an angry mob trying to break through doors and barricades set up outside the Speaker’s Lobby, which allows access into the House chamber itself and where some members of Congress had taken refuge. Officers, their guns raised, shouted multiple warnings to stop, but Babbitt tried to climb through a window toward them.

A masked officer then fired a single shot, and Babbitt fell to the ground. In April, the U.S. attorney’s office for the District of Columbia announced that it wouldn’t press charges against the officer for his actions. “Specifically, the investigation revealed no evidence to establish that, at the time the officer fired a single shot at Ms. Babbitt, the officer did not reasonably believe that it was necessary to do so in self-defense or in defense of the Members of Congress and others evacuating the House Chamber,” the office said in a statement. In other words, it would have been almost impossible to convince a jury that the officer was wrong to think that a violent mob storming the Capitol posed an immediate threat to him or to the lawmakers he was protecting.

The second problem for those asking “Who killed Ashli Babbitt?” is more fundamental: Human beings do not have the memory of a goldfish. People remember that Trump and his allies spent months lying about the election results, falsely claiming that it was stolen from him, and telling his supporters to take action. People also remember that Trump summoned his supporters to the National Mall on January 6, told them the country was in peril, and urged them to march up Capitol Hill to express their anger. If Trump had just conceded the election before January 6, would Babbitt have boarded a plane to Washington to support him? If right-wing media figures hadn’t echoed Trump’s lies, would she have been anywhere near the Capitol on that fateful day?

If Trump and his allies really want to know who is responsible for Babbitt’s death and the deaths of others on January 6, they need only look in a mirror. Hunting for a scapegoat on the Capitol Police force is a misguided way to smother any embers of guilt that burn in their hearts. Their reckless revisionism could also have more tragic consequences down the road. The greatest danger with turning Babbitt into a martyr is that it risks creating more of her: people who are willing to fight and even die for hollow, corrupt lies.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 9:02 am

Dox47 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

If she had entered the rest would have followed, then their wouldn’t have been “plenty of backup.”
She should have stuck a hat on a stick and stuck it through the hole.lol
She was former military, she should have known better.
My sympathy for the officer who will carry that the rest of his life and for her family.A Darwin Award for her.
It was a justified shooting.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/pr/depa ... li-babbitt

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:41 am

Dox47 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

The downplaying and excusing of the BLM inspired is not a reason to downplay or excuse 1/6. There is no reason to excuse or downplay 1/6.

I have no interest in downplaying or excusing the event, that was a violent riot resulting in injuries and property damage, and the perpetrators should be dealt with appropriately, but it also shouldn't be overplayed, which is what is happening because it's politically advantageous to do so. Even the "it started as a riot but turned into an insurrection" theory doesn't really hold water in light of the behavior of the rioters once they got inside the building, taking selfies and souvenirs is not the stuff of a government overthrow.

Just because they were mostly morons without a chance in hell doesn't mean there was an insurrection and attempted coup. That fact should not be downplayed.

gorgeouspink
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Aug 2021, 11:51 am

This is why I don't understand the right. They claim to support police, but in this case the police don't matter to them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 11:56 am

gorgeouspink wrote:
This is why I don't understand the right. They claim to support police, but in this case the police don't matter to them.
They will claim to support or reject anything as long as the claim itself makes them look good and the left look bad.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 5:57 pm

Misslizard wrote:
My sympathy for the officer who will carry that the rest of his life and for her family.A Darwin Award for her.

^^^Yep, he's a hero in my eyes

Would have loved to see the officers chase down QAnon shaman and shoot him in the ass as well.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 6:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

^^^Yep, he's a hero in my eyes

Would have loved to see the officers chase down QAnon shaman and shoot him in the ass as well.

Or shoot off one of his horns.
Make him a unicorn.He can live in fantasy land.

Last edited by Misslizard on 17 Aug 2021, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 7:06 pm

Dox47 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

The selfies and the Shamen and all that theater was the giddy cockiness I mentioned. They were not trying to overthrow the entire government “just” by intimidation or worse force Congress to do what they wanted. Somehow if they got to Pelosi or AOC or Pence they would have done more then take selfies, a lot more.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 12:18 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The selfies and the Shamen and all that theater was the giddy cockiness I mentioned. They were not trying to overthrow the entire government “just” by intimidation or worse force Congress to do what they wanted. Somehow if they got to Pelosi or AOC or Pence they would have done more then take selfies, a lot more.

Looked to me they wanted an old fashioned lynching

There were also militia trying to bring in explosives....I'm sure they weren't just MAGA fireworks

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 6:30 am

More deplorables captured
A former Rocky Mount police officer charged in connection with the riots at the U.S. Capitol was taken into federal custody. The former police officer purchased weapons and was found with a pip bomb in his home

Another rioter was Viera High School teacher was arrested in July on federal charges in connection with the Capitol riots on Jan. 6, court records show.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 9:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Looked to me they wanted an old fashioned lynching

There were also militia trying to bring in explosives....I'm sure they weren't just MAGA fireworks

You sure these aren't just tourists doing tourist things?