Possibly Autistic Woman Claims Medical Exemption for Mask...

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 4:30 pm

I will skip some details to avoid doxing the specific shelter this happened at.

Here in Vancouver, Masks became optional indoors about a week ago, with about 20% of the buisinesses/service locations I have encountered choosing to overide this and require masks.

The first was a bike shop, they strickly required.

The second was a shelter, where is is strickly required while getting your cafeteria style meal, and inconsistently enforced around the check in desk, [by staff and clients] and otherwise not enforced at all.

Today I saw a woman who looked notably in the LD/low functioning camp being asked to mask up if she wanted to eat.

She clearly said "I have a medical Exemption"

At this point at least one staff member was right in her face and said "not here you dont"

at this point the poor woman exploded in about 90db of profanity.

The higher up staff who responded were ok and let her go on without checking any papers on the spot, but I dont think they see the lunacy of their application of masking rules. To me it looks like a valued kitchen employee threatened to quit if the clients were not masked up, I can think of no other reason how it got how it is.

What really disturbed me was the attitude of the other homeless, shut up, mask up.

one guy tried to get me to take part in the teasing by making eye contact with me and saying "lock and load", while playing air-shotgun.

I said "why"

he said "whats wrong, the fries bad or something?

I said, no, you said "lock and load", I asked "why"?

he looked at me like im crazy and said something like 'she should shut up and mask up'

interesting fact - playing the sjw here can get you labeled a rat/narc in the homeless community.

they may say "he heard about the med exemption and we didnt, cuz hes nozy"..

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 5:30 pm

Well, I guess that's the kind of crap that's going to happen now they've privatised the handling of the pandemic. Similarly in the UK the gov has washed its hands (no pun intended) of responsibility except for incoming travellers, but is allowing shopkeepers, transport companies and workplace bosses to make up their own rules if they want to. One mistake Orwell made with "1984" was that he didn't realise it would be business rather than governments doing the control freakery. And the problem with business is that you don't get to vote them out of power.

Still, even when things were under government control I was seeing stories of people getting abuse from other people for not wearing masks, with the same disinterest in detail that some folks have for invisible disabilities in general. The really stupid thing is that masks don't make much difference to the risk of spreading the virus. But some thickheads just like to crap on any handy scapegoat for whatever their real problems are.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2021, 10:06 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
The really stupid thing is that masks don't make much difference to the risk of spreading the virus.

well, there is also the issue of some doctors saying germ-a-phobia not being the ticket to a healthy immune system.

This lines up with my own experience for the only thing I ever get, the common cold.*

Not sure about Covid, and not going to find out when everyone is arguing lower level nonsense about Masks and stuff.

Good to see a few can see the nonsense, thanks TD

* Im not germaphobic, but alternate between Isolating and full socializing, sharing joints with hobolos and stuff.

after going from isolating for a long period to being around people and sharing joints, I get colds fairly easily.

But after going full hobolo for months, I shake off every cold - the colds try but cant take root.

on the same topic, the hobolos all share tobacco and drugs while not social distancing, and are not getting sick..

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:58 am

The way you express yourself is very unclear. I've noticed it in all your posts I've read.

Example:

The_Znof wrote:
interesting fact - playing the sjw here can get you labeled a rat/narc in the homeless community.

There's no way to tell what you mean by this because SJWs have nothing to do with ratting people out. Plus it's not clear what SJWs have to do with the mask issue in the shelter. It seems like you either omit crucial parts of your stories or you skip from one topic to another randomly.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 8:55 am

Yes I struggle with this issue - incomplete signage I call it.

In the homeless community here in Vancouver, things are twisted so that if you report abuse of the homeless in shelters, you may be ostracized as a narc by the homeless community.

This is accomplished via a culture of gossip.

I suspect this may happen in other cities as well

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 10:11 am

Being an Englishman I took it as some obscure Americanism. I often can't understand a word of some of the things my American Facebook friends post there. Then there's my strange need for exceptional clarity. But these days I fill in a lot from the context and by guesswork, and I've become less worried about not understanding every word people say to me. Anyway, thanks for the clarification. I'd already figured it was likely a horrible place, and the new information has confirmed that.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 12:05 pm

Well the term SJW is problematic enough without me going autistic on it.

I tend to think it is usually used in a derogatory sense, not by people against Social Justice, but by people complaining about misguided attempts at social justice.

However, the term is also used as a mindless insult, more often then not.

I now think it best not to get involved with the shelter's strange mask enforcement, and instead volunteer for Institutionalized Autistics, or something like that.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 1:03 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I'd already figured it was likely a horrible place, and the new information has confirmed that.

thing is, this shelter is far better than average.

I got kicked out for missing curfew a few nights ago, and now cant get the two crackpot Uta Frith books I left on the windowsill near my bed.

They said they would have checked around my bed and put it with the stuff from my locker when they gave it to me yesterday, so somebody must have taken them.

yah right, not impossible, but far more likely they were too lazy to look for more stuff. Just blame the homeless..

the windowsill didnt look like it got checked regularly, not by staff or by hobos looking to steal crappy library books

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 1:54 pm

It does sound a tad unlikely that a bottom-feeding thief would go to the trouble of stealing a couple of grubby old books on such a subject. The resale value would have been pretty small, even if they could have found a buyer. Toilet paper?

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:12 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
The really stupid thing is that masks don't make much difference to the risk of spreading the virus. .

This information is mistaken.
Masks are very effective at preventing spread from an infected person (wearing a mask) to others.
Masks are Less so at preventing the wearer being infected by others unless the mask is to a particular specification such as N95

Simple experiemtn which can be done at home.

Blow out and see how far away you can feel your breath with your hand.
Now put on a mask, blow out with the same force and see how far away you can feel the breath.

This illustrates how wearing a covering over mouth and nose can make it much harder for you to project your viruses and other nasties into someone else's personal space.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 10:10 pm

But there are other effects such as the mask getting saturated with water vapour and harbouring the virus, and the increased likelihood of touching your face to adjust the mask or to scratch an itch that wearing it may cause. The WHO used to say that the benefits of wearing a mask were marginal.