Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2021, 6:40 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
If I'm very lucky, I'm talking to someone with enough experience of Us Lot to figure out how communication has broken down. Otherwise, it's up to me to steer the conversation back on track. That's so hard I usually just give up, frankly.

Speaking of which....I forgot that I wanted to toss this in there too, from that series of letters I recently wrote - this one from July 4th:

Quote:
Perhaps one of the reasons that I’ve received no help is that I meticulously prepare my request, as well as my description of the problem I am facing, by translating it into a format that the listener can under-stand. In doing so, I am consciously and conscientiously, masking my thought processes. It might be helpful to think of this as ‘co-dependent communication’ as I am taking responsibility for the listener’s understanding. In doing so, I am presenting to the listener as neurotypical which is an immediate barrier to receiving help.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 6:12 pm

AngelL wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

So...how many digits of Pi have you memorized?

8. I know, I know. Pi was the number everyone was talking about - including the number people would talk about memorizing. It was too long ago to remember for sure, but I'm guessing that my taking up 'e' was less about 'e' and more about rejecting 'pi' - and by extension, rejecting 'them'.

Thats showin em! Just put their Pi right into their faces! :lol:

Most folks assert their identity by ...what hockey team they root for, or by what rock band they listen to.

But when true geeks fight -they adopt different irrational numbers to memorize! :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 6:16 pm

AngelL wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

So you're the "Rain Man" stereotype of aspergers come to life. Lol!

So...how many digits of Pi have you memorized?

One of the advantages of being a social pariah with no friends is that you have lots of time to commit things to memory. :)

That said, and speaking of Rain Man (who I am most definitely not), I did get blacklisted from the blackjack tables in Vegas back when they still did that. They stopped that about thirty-five years ago, and now they just "flat-bet" you, which means that you can continue to play and you can bet any amount you want, but you can't vary the size of your bet. Anyway, I find it fascinating that I can count cards with the best of them - but I can deal the game ...adequately only. And the reason that I am only, at best, adequate is that...example time:

You have a 7 and a 6 for thirteen.
I say, "Player has 13."
You say, "Hit."
I turn over a five.

My brain doesn't go, "13 + 5 = 18"
My brain goes, "Okay, I have a 5 and a 6 and a 7. How do I want to arrange these? Oh look, the 5 is one less than the 6 and the seven is one more than the 6, so the average is 6 and 6 x 3 is 18"

Or you have a 7 and a 6 for thirteen and I turn over a 3. Once again, I don't say 13 + 3 = 16. Rather, I look for ways that all three numbers interact - in this case, after looking for unrelated patterns. Examples might be: They are all red or black, they form a 'run' like the 5,6,7 from the last example, they are multiples of two or three or four, all the cards are from the major suits (spades and hearts) - or the minor suits (clubs and diamonds), etc. Which slows me down to 'adequate' speed only.

WOW. You could be killer ...if you just stayed focused on the main card count. Like those MIT guys and gals in the book "21"- math geeks who broke Vegas at the blackjack tables for a long profitable run...until Vegas broke them. They made a straight to video movie, starring John Cusack, entitled 21 based on the story.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 8:22 pm

starkid wrote:
The problem with normies is that they don't interpret questions literally. They tend to make assumptions about why people ask questions, and then they address this assumed reason instead of addressing the actual question.

I think that happens a lot. I don't know any good solution either. It's possible it happens less with scientists.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2021, 10:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

WOW. You could be killer ...if you just stayed focused on the main card count. Like those MIT guys and gals in the book "21"- math geeks who broke Vegas at the blackjack tables for a long profitable run...until Vegas broke them. They made a straight to video movie, starring John Cusack, entitled 21 based on the story.

...funny you should say that. I was offered a role in that movie. Got asked in the middle of the World Series of Poker, bad timing, turned it down.