Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 7:32 pm

This is kinda what it is like to have prosopragnosia... This one has a twist. Enjoy....

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2021, 8:20 pm

cute ending .......... obviously poor at facial recognition . lol

where ever you go ,there you are

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 12:57 am

I once had to find my mum in a supermarket. I had to remember what she was wearing in order to find her. My own mum...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 4:33 am

renaeden wrote:
I once had to find my mum in a supermarket. I had to remember what she was wearing in order to find her. My own mum...

Just once? I used to be petrified if another person even walked inbetween me and my Mum incase I lost her.

differentpage
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2021, 10:03 am

Me, waiting in a line at the store, responding to an unknown person behind me who greets me like an old friend: "Hi...."
Person: "It's good to see you."
Me: "Yes..." awkward silence. "Umm... how's the family?" I have learned that this usually works in these situations and often gives me details that help me remember the person
Person, beaming: "They're fine, fine."
Me: "Umm... so what brings you to this part of town?"
Person, annoyed and/or astonished: "I live here. Down the street from you." He/she stops talking to me.
Me to self: You have got to pay attention when you meet people. You have got to look them in the face and memorize their D--- eyes and stuff. Pay attention, pay attention, pay attention.
When I leave the store I realize that I forgot to look the person in the eyes AGAIN and I still have no idea what they look like.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 10:50 am

WOW.

I used to have an aversion to looking folks in the eye. But even so I remembered faces. Nieghbors, and....I recognized my mom when she was alive.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 10:54 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
renaeden wrote:

Just once? I used to be petrified if another person even walked inbetween me and my Mum incase I lost her.

i remember times like that . it used to happen even when i went somewhere with another person if at a event or something like that, almost getting to a panic attack level. once when younger got seperated from a group , i ended up just sitting and crying . for over a hour. Was completely left behind in a strange museum. Mum eventually came and revovered me .Even to this day , am nervous about getting seperated from the group . instead of enjoying the experience .

differentpage

01 Aug 2021, 9:44 am

naturalplastic wrote:
WOW.

I used to have an aversion to looking folks in the eye. But even so I remembered faces. Nieghbors, and....I recognized my mom when she was alive.

I remember neighbors that I talk to a lot. If it's only a few times a year... Maybe some people, the ones you would call a "people person," remember those because it's the thing they're most interested in.

I realized a while back that I remember actors in movies or TV shows I've watched, very well. There was a prosopragnosia test online that used actors and other public figures and I did well on it. When I see something new that an actor is in, even if it's 10 years later and they're very made up, I detect the person under all that. Possible reason: I actually looked at them, or rather the photographs and videos. So maybe this isn't real prosopragnosia.

I've now trained myself to look at people more, although I still forget sometimes.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 1:26 pm

it still takes me along time to associate a face with a name. especially if it is not someone i see regularily . Unless sometimes it is associated with a traumatic event.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 2:58 am

Happens to me a lot few years ago some stupid girl got offended by it when I didn’t recognize her.

She was physically attractive so many guys liked her but she was narcissistic and full of herself.

Yes can be a big problem for me

- George Bernie Shaw

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 5:30 am

I had a girl (A customer) who I thought was being too forward with me as I thought she had read my namebadge while I was in work. I distanced myself from her and ignored her and saw to everyone else.

A few weeks later my Aunty called and asked me why I had been ignoring her daughter (My cousin). I did not know it was her!

I have had lengthy conversations with people that i have tried to extend them for as long as possible because I was trying to work out who it was that I was talking to! And it would be silly if after 20 to 30 minutes I asked who they were! So I still do not know who they are to this day. They obviously knew me and who I was!

I once during my lunchbreak went into the town where I once worked which was my nearest town. At a corner of a street I met a lady and a little child. Now you know the feeling that you know them and they seem to know you but somehow none of you know from where you know each other? I said "Hello" and she said "Hello" back and we both walked on, both being puzzled as to who it was. The little boy seemed to know as he was tugging at his mothers hand and trying to stop her to get her to turn back and talk to me, but both she and I carried on.
It was only a short street to the bank that I had to go in, and this bank always had long queues, so I joined the queue as I wanted some cash out of my bank account. (I did not trust and had never used card machines in those days).
While I was waiting, I was frantically trying to go through all the people that I know to see if any matched up to the lady I had seen. I went through family friends, shop customers... Anyone I could think of. I was in a mind of my own and almost needed reminding that I was in a queue! As my mental efforts were not working I thought I would try to match my extended family. Both aunts and both uncles, and then cousins. Nope. Not them. Then while I did this in my mind, I moved up the hirarcy a bit and then it struck me. It was my Mum and the child was my little brother! My Mum has prosopragnosia as well and she did not know who I was as well!
I left the queue and ran back, and found her a few streets away and had to tell her who I was.
And before anyone says they have not seen their Mum for a while. I live with her. There has not been that many days in my entire life that I have not been living with her. Even when I once had my own house before I hit a few burnouts and had to sell it as I could not work, I would be spending more time with my family then at my house. I did not spend much time at my house as I got lonely and could not function that well on my own. I am a bit of a natural loner as well so I know it is strange, but I do need someone who is peaceful there as when no one is there I normally just sit and do nothing for hours which is strange. As long as I know someone else is in the house, I can then spend hours hyperfocussing on various tasks by myself. I work best by myself to be honest. But having no one there and somehow I can't function and just sit? It could be mindblank? Wierd isn't it?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 12:21 pm

i can relate to the above posting in many ways. That was pretty strange you did not recognize your mum . Have had a few times when , that degree of this condition got really bad. Many times i do not recognize people out of context . Like not recognizing neighbours in public. inspite of living nextdoor to them for over 10 years . If they are not in their yard , i do not associate a name with a face. on several occassions .

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 12:59 pm

Jakki wrote:
i can relate to the above posting in many ways. That was pretty strange you did not recognize your mum . Have had a few times when , that degree of this condition got really bad. Many times i do not recognize people out of context . Like not recognizing neighbours in public. inspite of living nextdoor to them for over 10 years . If they are not in their yard , i do not associate a name with a face. on several occassions .

Today as I was walking I looked at reflective windows that were in a building and I saw a man, so I was going to look to see who it was that was walking besides me and I realized I was the only one there so I found out that the reflection was me. I did not recognize myself until I worked it out that it was me and I don't always remember what I look like.

Most of the time though I may recognise people if they are where I expect them to be but not if I see them in a different enviroment and especially not if they are wearing different clothes. I can lose my Mum if she wears a different coat and I have not noticed that she is not wearing the usual coat.

At the same time if an event sticks out for some reason where I have had to stare at a persons face for some time because they have been cruel to me or something like that, I can then pick that person out anywhere even if they try to wear a wig, but it takes me a long time to learn someones face. I have to stare at them for quite a length of time which makes people feel awkward. It is why I only do this to people I consider as enemies rather then friends. It is why I can lose friends through prosopragnosia, but I can spot enemies if that makes sense?

larsivegen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2021, 3:31 pm

I love people with dogs.
Much easier to remember dogs than people.
The worst is meeting a neighbour on at different place.
Almost missed a daughter som weeks after she has moved to her own living, after 18 year living whit us.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 4:25 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Today as I was walking I looked at reflective windows that were in a building and I saw a man, so I was going to look to see who it was that was walking besides me and I realized I was the only one there so I found out that the reflection was me. I did not recognize myself until I worked it out that it was me and I don't always remember what I look like.

Most of the time though I may recognise people if they are where I expect them to be but not if I see them in a different enviroment and especially not if they are wearing different clothes. I can lose my Mum if she wears a different coat and I have not noticed that she is not wearing the usual coat.

At the same time if an event sticks out for some reason where I have had to stare at a persons face for some time because they have been cruel to me or something like that, I can then pick that person out anywhere even if they try to wear a wig, but it takes me a long time to learn someones face. I have to stare at them for quite a length of time which makes people feel awkward. It is why I only do this to people I consider as enemies rather then friends. It is why I can lose friends through prosopragnosia, but I can spot enemies if that makes sense?

Exactly .same its the people that i fear may have bad intent towards me. That i recall those faces best . unfortunately.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 11:31 am

I have issues in my memories instead of processing faces.

I can still recognize everyone I've known and interacted before age 10, even if their appearances change.
Yet I could barely do so with anyone I've met since past puberty.

Whatever the heck it was, it's probably more to do with my short term memory barely or not fast, strong or lasting enough to go to or ever translate into long term memory.

It is still unsolved probably may get worse as I age.
I'd likely unable to recall who you are and what your name is, than your face, where were you and what you did.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.