Do you have any allergies?
No 23%  23%  [ 10 ]
Yes 77%  77%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 43

zee
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 1:37 am

I have heard that there may be a link between autism and allergies... so who here has allergies, and what are they? I myself am allergic to pollen and amoxicillin (an antibiotic).

BenJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2007, 1:43 am

The only allergies I am aware of that I have are food related. These include gluten and maybe milk. I also have some bad reactions to some artificial flavourings that are difficult for me to isolate and identify.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 2:12 am

I am allergic to Penicillin and Cephalexin (an antibiotic).

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 24 Jul 2007, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2007, 2:31 am

None that I know of.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 3:03 am

Various acidic fruits make my tounge swell up....strawberries, pineapple, kiwi etc....
Also some kids of vinegar.....and cheapo chocolate....but not the expensive stuff..usually...

We had this vegan cheff cook at our place once, and he used all these ingredients he'd purchased from an Asian grocery store...aside from there being so much fruit in his food that I couldn't comfortably eat it, but some chemicals in it of unknown origin made me break out in hives and feel kinda like my brain was itching.

so yeah..I have a few little allergies....not allergic to dust or cats or pollen though.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 3:21 am

asthma-causing - dust mites, mould spores, grass pollen, tree pollen, various artificially scented laundry products/cleaning fluids

plus penicillin, yeast and eggs.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jul 2007, 3:50 am

Bee stings!

Sucks cause sometimes when i go camping i forget to bring somethin... i wont do that anymore, i dont wanna push my luck...

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 5:25 am

Starr wrote:
asthma-causing - dust mites, mould spores, grass pollen, tree pollen, various artificially scented laundry products/cleaning fluids.

Yes, all of these. Pollution also affects my asthma.

I have allergies to many cosmetics and toiletries - even those that say they are 'hypoallergenic' or 'specially formulated for sensitive skin' etc.

Other allergies include:

Gluten
Milk
Soft Dairy
Raw tomatoes
Bananas
Melon and watermelon
Some anti-histamines (not helpful!)
SSNRIs seem to really screw me up, although I don't know if you could call than an allergy!
Eggs
Palm Oil
Many metals
Chlorine
Wool
Any pollen
Animal fur / animal saliva on fur
Pulses (lentils etc.)

There's probably more, but that is all I can remember for the moment!

krex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 9:05 am

Until recently I have had very few allergies.

Wool and angora sweaters
chlorine in swimming pools(only after several days,the first few days I seem fine,more exposure and I break out in hives)
metal in jewlery(same as above,can wear it for a few days then break out...never worn gold but everything else I have worn)
Heat rashes on chest...maybe my own perspiration?
Perfumes
????random rash on forarms but never sure what they were from
sulfa
Milk

^ months ago I had a really bad reaction to Wellbutrin.The palms of my hands and bottom of my feet itched nonstop for several weeks and nothing over the counter seemed to help. I went off the med and was treated with Prednisome for a few days and it cleared up.Then after a few weeks I started getting rashes every few days,it is on and off and I cant seem to figure out what I am reacted to...some days it is while I am working(with cats,dogs and nastly cleaning chemicals)and I thought that was the problem.Then,I would be fine at work but break out on my days off work....I cant locate the trigger but have been avoiding lotions(lanolin)things with added perfumes but still getting the rashes.The only thing that gives me some temp. relief is showering and slathering my whole body with Caladryl Clear.I still get the rash but seem numb enough that it bothers me less.

I "plan" on going into a DR to get tested and treated with???but first I have to over come my "alergy" to the telephone and DRs.
I also read that many of the tests show false positives and false negatives,so I am a little cynical about this whole thing being a "science" and changing my whole life based on results that may not even be correct.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 10:11 am

I definitely get affected by fall weather... whatever allergies that entails.

I also can't be around furry puts... too much. Cat's aren't that bad... but some very furry ones that shed all the time... ugh. Dogs are the worst though... I'm never going to live with a dog.

It's getting worse as I get older too.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jul 2007, 11:31 am

I am allergic to dander (fur) and that's the only allergy that kicks in every time. I'm also allergic to everything else in the universe, from time to time, maybe. Those allergies are emotional, I think, although doctors don't agree. Fat lot they know. I do all the anti-allergy things in the house, special bedding, air-filters, etc. Also I keep Benadryl on hand. I have an epi-pen, but it's years old.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 1:57 pm

I'm allergic to sulfa (in medications) and dairy products (a rather violent reaction there, not just the uncomfortable feeling that some people get in their guts).

Last edited by SilverProteus on 24 Jul 2007, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbbaus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2007, 2:22 pm

I'm very allergic to Mountain Cedar (hits from end of December to end of March). I didn't develop that allergy till my early 20s though. Not allergic to any medications, though.

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2007, 2:26 pm

I'm allergic to penicillin and sulfa drugs; pollen; sedum (a succulent).

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 2:49 pm

Penicillin
Nickel in jewelry, especially earrings.
Some pollens-this didn't happen until my 20's.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 3:00 pm

zee wrote:
I have heard that there may be a link between autism and allergies... so who here has allergies, and what are they? I myself am allergic to pollen and amoxicillin (an antibiotic).

Good post zee! I'm allergic to some summer pollens, but I knew this long before I had any idea I was autistic (which isn't obvious because I'm quite bright and adaptable, and so would never be so diagnosed). I'll try to visit this thread again, but if I fail, you can reach me at [email protected] .