Is anyone here not narcissistic at all?

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 8:26 pm

There are two types of narcissism, seemingly different from one another.

When most think of narcissists, we think of the grandiose types. Self-important, blameless, no conscience in destroying another person, no remorse.

There is a second type known as vulnerable narcissism, comparable to neuroticism. Oftentimes, the vulnerable narcissist isn't deliberately or uncaringly destructive. However, they tend to play the victim, have difficulty showing or regulating emotion, poor sense of positive self-image.

I can see overlap or misdiagnosis between Aspies and vulnerable narcissists.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 12:27 pm

That's a very insulting question. I'm autistic. That's different from being a narcissist. I don't see how pushing for autism acceptance can even be close to that.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 2:47 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That's a very insulting question. I'm autistic. That's different from being a narcissist. I don't see how pushing for autism acceptance can even be close to that.

I don't think the OP's point was to equate autism with narcissism. See other posts in the thread for clarification of various issues.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 10:41 pm

Um, I’m about as far from a narcissist as one can possibly get, but I care very much what other people think of me. The key thing is that I don’t want people to think highly of me, I just don’t want them to think badly of me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 11:21 pm

I have a big ego and a pride, that just keeps clashing and coinciding with my emotional regulation issues for as long as I could remember.

But otherwise conflict, while it can happen, it just doesn't stick just as long nor happens in cycles.

Narcissistic? I wish. :roll: If I'm one, an issue or a drama would simply stick.

If I'm a vulnerable type, I'd be stuck with a lot of mental health issues.
Thoughts spanning from all the bad circumstances of relationships and environment in general since before my first day of school.
Yet I'm not -- this is how I can no longer relate well to anyone with social anxiety or anxiety issues in general.

But if I'm a grandiose type, pride or not I wouldn't be asocial.
Yet I'm not -- ever ridden with guilt or remorse or annoying indecisive conscience. And my standards isn't even that high.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Aug 2021, 6:48 am

Edna3362 wrote:
I have a big ego and a pride, that just keeps clashing and coinciding with my emotional regulation issues for as long as I could remember.

How does your ego and pride work? Are these your main driving forces? These things has always been a mystery for me, so curious how you see them.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 11:48 am

StrayCat81 wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:

How does your ego and pride work? Are these your main driving forces? These things has always been a mystery for me, so curious how you see them.

It's about a person's personal identification to self, sense of self or identity and... 'Credit' to self.

Some may call it self esteem, but it isn't necessarily the same.

Notice how many times 'self' appears? :twisted:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 12:08 pm

Someone once "volunteered" me to perform a one-man skit that was based on The Pharisee & The Tax-Collector from the Bible.  Feeling bored with the whole Sunday-school thing, I went all-out on both characters, giving the Pharisee the personality of a certain a-hole politician, and the tax-collector the personality of a certain WP member who used to post a lot in the L&D forum.

(Pharisee: "Hey there G^D!  It's me, your Chosen One..." // Tax-Collector: "I am worthless, I am nobody...")

Maybe I understand narcissism a little too well, because people in the audience wanted me to do more characterizations.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 8:09 pm