Just being good at something has become the new ‘mediocre’

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 5:20 pm

Joe90 wrote:
The highest grade I got was a C. The rest were below. How do people manage to get As and Bs?

The only subjects I ever obtained B's and A's in were generally non-academic topics. However, the exam-based system in high school was less than ideal. There were times where I did well in the coursework, but then flunked the final exam. In most subjects, I gained C's, but in subjects such as business studies and creative writing I excelled. Unfortunately, English teachers liked to use my work as an example, much to my teenage embarrassment.

I was a disorganised mess. The only reason I did well in subjects such as English is because I highly enjoyed creating stories, the real world seemed to temporarily melt away when I was in the zone of creating. I remember a boy asking me if everyone was dead in my mind, because I was working away and not interacting with others when the classroom was otherwise filled with conversation. Personally, I'd forgotten I was in a classroom, I was too busy mentally being in my story to even notice that the noise levels had risen.

This is a trait that seems to be common among my family, switching between a lack of focus and too much focus. It can be beneficial when creating art, but it can also be a significant weakness. That's why I have to set reminders and go out of my way to keep myself in line, otherwise I can end up neglecting basic needs.

Carpeta
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 5:27 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
This is a trait that seems to be common among my family, switching between a lack of focus and too much focus.

This sounds like a definition of ADHD to me. A significant percentage of autistics also have ADHD.

RAADS-R: 122.0

Not a doctor.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 7:23 pm

Carpeta wrote:
Lost_dragon wrote:
This is a trait that seems to be common among my family, switching between a lack of focus and too much focus.

This sounds like a definition of ADHD to me. A significant percentage of autistics also have ADHD.

I have wondered about this possibility before. On another forum, ADHD has been brought up before by other members. People often incorrectly think that I am organised, but in reality I am actually just good at thinking on my feet. For example, one time I procrastinated on writing a speech for English class, so I winged it and made up a speech about procrastination as I presented. I thought it was apt. :lol:

Dyslexia runs in the family, and I know that ADHD often co-occurs with it. I'm not dyslexic, but I am possibly dyscalculic. Wouldn't surprise me if it turned out I have ADHD, but this is all speculative. Anyway, I'm going a little off-topic here, apologies OP.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 7:56 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
Anyway, I'm going a little off-topic here, apologies OP.

All's fine :)