MTV at 40 - Remembering back in the day

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 7:53 am

Forty years ago, MTV changed music forever. These four rock icons remember all too well

Quote:
When it debuted on Aug. 1, 1981, MTV was a business and technology experiment without much downside and without much chance of succeeding.

Warner Amex Satellite Entertainment Co., only slightly better known as WASEC, was a joint venture between Warner Communications and American Express. Their goal was to sell goods and financial services interactively into homes through newly created black boxes that sat atop console TVs — giant bricks with buttons that communicated with just-launched satellites beaming the first cable television networks. CNN and HBO were already running; a cable exec and rock ‘n’ roll fan named John Lack eventually convinced WASEC that a channel showing prerecorded music clips (mostly live footage; “music videos” as we’d come to know them didn’t much exist yet) would besot teenagers and therefore pimple cream and soft drink advertisers.

The good news was that the record companies had a few boxes full of these short clips just sitting around and would give them to this startup channel for free; the bad news was that a few boxes of clips could barely fill a 24-7 channel and most of the footage was either dull, incompetent, profoundly silly or even potentially career-threatening for homelier artists who’d managed to hide in the shadows until then.

MTV launched with approximately 250 videos. The first weeks and months, which were not carried in either New York or Los Angeles, were filled mostly with dreary videos from has-beens, nobodies or earnest American rock bros like Journey who felt about dressing up and lip-syncing the way Allen Iverson felt about basketball practice. It wasn’t until MTV played more cinematic videos from fabulous-looking British exhibitionists like Duran Duran, Culture Club and A Flock of Seagulls that the network landed on its visual and musical identity: tuneful outrageousness with a narcissistic love for the camera

About a year later, still struggling for ad dollars and household penetration, MTV execs, trained in the segregationist playlists of rock radio, bowed to record-label pressure and aired the new “Billie Jean” video by Black pop star Michael Jackson. Months later, with ratings ticking upward, they’d screen Jackson’s transformational “Thriller” video every hour on the hour, and Michael and Madonna would become the network’s prom king and queen. Squadrons of hair-metal pretties followed the new-wave glamourpusses, and even paragon-of-rock-virtue Bruce Springsteen had to wiggle his bum for pop culture’s new star-making machine.

To commemorate MTV’s 40th anniversary, we’ve gathered four original stars of the music video revolution — REO Speedwagon’s Kevin Cronin, Billy Idol, Huey Lewis and the Go-Go’s Kathy Valentine — to reflect upon the salad days of music videos and MTV’s unmatched power to make musicians wildly rich and famous. Today, ViacomCBS owns MTV, which these days seems to be singularly and bizarrely dedicated to block-programming Rob Dyrdek’s “Ridiculousness,” while music videos, now user-generated in 15-second spurts on TikTok, have been reimagined by and for teens for whom an old-fashioned four-minute video might as well be “Lawrence of Arabia.”

“The market is so fragmented today,” says Lewis. “You can’t have a hit now like we used to. Because then, everyone was focused on one thing at the same time. Everyone was watching MTV.”

What’s the first time you remember seeing a music video?
Billy Idol:
Even before MTV, there were bands making music clips. The Beatles did loads of them, for “Paperback Writer,” for “Strawberry Fields.” In England in the ‘70s, there was a TV program called “The Kenny Everett Video Show.” Kenny Everett was a former DJ, and in the middle of his show, he would have a band like the Police play, and a bloke named David Mallett would direct it. The show also had a dance troupe called Hot Gossip that would perform these sexy routines to the hits of the day. David went on to direct loads of music videos, including “White Wedding,” and Perri Lister from Hot Gossip became my choreographer and girlfriend. Those videos and dance routines became the look of MTV.

Huey Lewis: The first time I saw a video was on a show called “Videowest” in San Francisco. This was 1977. A girl named Kim Dempster came to us and said if we would let her film a video and show it on her channel then we could have the video. So we made two videos with a handheld camera, and I basically pinched old “Hullabaloo” and “Shindig” ideas and goofed around. Those videos actually got us our record deal.

Kevin, you were one of the earliest, and in retrospect unlikeliest, stars of MTV. During the very first two hours of MTV, there were eight different REO Speedwagon videos played more than a dozen times. What were you even doing making videos back then?
Kevin Cronin:
Those videos you’re talking about are not my finest moment as a performing artist. I think we made four in one afternoon. We didn’t really know who or what we were making them for. MTV wasn’t even on the air yet. But our “Hi Infidelity” album was No. 1 throughout 1980 and ‘81, so the label had us make some clips. Most were just performance clips. There was one, though, for “Keep on Loving You” [the 17th video ever played on MTV] that begins with me on a shrink’s couch, talking about the girl in the song. The video is mostly our band performing, but it also features this beautiful model playing the subject of the song. And at the end of the video, you finally see the shrink, and she’s this gorgeous woman wearing a pair of black-rimmed eyeglasses, her hair up in a bun. She takes off the glasses, lets down her hair and, yes, she’s the same model from the video. It was the biggest cliché.

Billy, you were living in New York in the early ‘80s when MTV started. Were you keen on it right from the start?
Idol:
Bill Aucoin, who managed both me and KISS, told me as I was moving to America that there was going to be this 24-hour cable music channel. So I kind of knew. If you were like me and had a bit of a punk image, radio in the U.S. didn’t want to play your music because they thought it didn’t attract advertising dollars. MTV proved what a load of bollocks that was.

Why were Brits like yourself so good at making music videos at a time when a lot of American artists felt that it was beneath them?
Idol:
I think we just took it more seriously. If you came out of punk, you were invested in creating your own image. I wanted my image to be as edgy as it could be while still getting on TV. For my videos I borrowed a lot from old silent horror movies, like “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.” There were a couple of black-and-white Boris Karloff images I took from a horror book I had. There was one where he’s on an altar with tons of crosses around him, and I just ran with it for “White Wedding.” I thought, let’s do that but in color.

Lewis: Chrysalis wanted us to do a big, high-powered video for our first single, “Do You Believe In Love.” So they hired this director, he was an ad man, and he had us all dressed up in pastel shirts that matched the pastel backgrounds, and we shot 20-hour days. This is the video where we’re all in bed with the girl. Anyway, a week later we go to the label to see the rough cut.

Lewis: Chrysalis wanted us to do a big, high-powered video for our first single, “Do You Believe In Love.” So they hired this director, he was an ad man, and he had us all dressed up in pastel shirts that matched the pastel backgrounds, and we shot 20-hour days. This is the video where we’re all in bed with the girl. Anyway, a week later we go to the label to see the rough cut. There’s a bunch of people from the label there, a bunch of people from the video and the whole band, probably 30 of us in all. The director gets up and says, “Now, this is just the rough cut; it’s going to look so much better when it’s colorized.” And then he shut off the lights and they play the video, and it was f—ing horrible. My heart sank. There was no discernible direction. It was the craziest thing. When the video ends, everybody stood up and gave it a standing ovation! I said to myself, clearly anybody can do this. So from then on we took creative control over our videos.

Kathy, what was your attitude toward making music videos?
Kathy Valentine:
Really freaking annoyed. The day we shot “Our Lips Are Sealed” was our first day off in quite a while. It was half-baked and low budget, and I remember thinking, why are we aimlessly driving around in this cool car, doing nothing? There was no plan. It was my idea to jump in the fountain in Beverly Hills because I thought maybe we’d spontaneously get in trouble on camera. But nothing happened at all. I hated it until we got to the scene where we were playing live at the Viper Room, because it was really important that people saw us with instruments. That was the only part that made sense to me.

Now, when the video got played on MTV, then I got it. That’s how a lot of young people found out about us

Who was the first artist you saw on MTV who really made an impression on you?
Idol:
Prince. His whole image was fantastic. The raincoat and the rubber stockings? He was built for MTV.

Lewis: In the beginning, MTV played pretty much everything that they could get their hands on. There were some horrible videos out there. … The Pat Benatar one with the Nazis? [laughs] But MTV played them every goddamned hour because that’s all they had. And people were watching because cable TV was brand new. In my band, nobody liked making music videos. They thought, “We’re musicians. What are we doing this stupid stuff for?” We didn’t want to become video artists. We had to become video artists. It was thrust upon us.

There came a point, after MTV had helped make you famous, that they more or less stopped playing your videos. Was that a hard thing to accept?
Cronin:
For us, there was a direct correlation between that and “Smells Like Teen Spirit.” I thought that video was awesome, but it was a death knell for us temporarily. We owned the ‘80s. Well, you can’t own forever.

How about you, Huey?
Lewis:
When MTV pulled our videos? I just went to my mansion in Malibu, and I was fine. [laughs] Honestly? It wasn’t that big a deal for me. MTV was such a bright light that it was a relief not to be on MTV after a while. It was a great way to break a band, it was a great way to sell records, but it hurt your credibility a little.

Broadly speaking, was MTV a force for good in music?
Idol:
Artists like me weren’t getting a fair shake on the radio, so it helped to break us. But eventually, a lot of artists got in big with Pepsi or someone, and they could afford to spend a million dollars on a video, and it started to get a bit boring. Then reality TV took over. It was all going to end anyway.

Valentine:The Go-Go’s would never have had the success we did without MTV. But overall, was it a good thing? I don’t know, you’ve got to take the good with the bad.

My cable system picked up MTV during the summer of ‘82 a year in and by that time they had figured out who they were by that time. It really was a big change. Before then you heard the artists, the only time you saw them was album covers. MTV changed that. It was mesmerizing. I would watch it hours at a time. I was completely into New Wave at the time and British New Wavers had perfected the art of producing these video clips, American rocker videos were often just concert clips. New wave would have never become big in America without MTV.

I was not your stereotypical teenage MTV viewer. I was in my 20s at the time but it worked for me. The VJ’s and the artists were for the most part my age. The VJ’s presented as your mellow friends hanging out playing videos their living room.

40 years on what still amazes me is that MTV sold androgyny to Ronald Reagan’s moral majority America. I imagine the early 80s had to be a rough time to be LBGTQ in America. The partially homophobic anti disco backlash was just a few years in the rear view mirror. And now you were having the emergence of what was called the “gay plague”, AIDS. It was the real life version of the slasher movies popular at the time where having sex kills you. A decade earlier you had glam rock but most of it passed America by what we did get was without context. You could tell that “Alice” Cooper and KISS were not gay, it was all for shock. Boy George was another story. Yet there he was pleading “Do you really want to hurt me?” And somehow not only did a whole lot of people not want to hurt him they liked him. He and whomever worked on that video are geniuses, I still can’t believe they pulled that off.

In the late 80’s hair metal replaced New wave for most of the time on MTV. My reaction was why? To me it was regurgitating all the 70s musical cliches in a slick new package. I hated the 70s during the ‘70s and the last thing I wanted was to go back to my teen years. The only thing keeping me watching was the one or two alternative videos and lots of “eye candy”. Eye candy for a straight guy that is. I am using eye candy as a euphemism for sexist videos. MTV had its enlightened sexuality moments in the early to mid 80’s. There was the aforementioned androgyny, there was an openly gay band Frankie Goes To Hollywood giving a lesson on how to have a proper orgasm(“Relax”), there was Cyndi Lauper giving a shout out to the then taboo subject of female masturbation(“She Bop”) but MTV was selling sex to straight bros from the get go. The “perfect” bodies withering for the rock star and by fantasy you. Misogynistic/Sexist as hell, whatever you want to call it in the hair metal era it went to a whole different level. Then and now women who worked in the music industry at the time have discussed how humiliating it was.

As most of you know the hair metal era suddenly ended with Nirvana’s ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ and the accompanying video. I should not have liked Alternative Rock. Most New Wavers hate it, it replaced the music and era they and I loved. I was now in my 30’s twenty years older then the intended audience and ten years older then the artists. This Gen X music a combination of the metal/hard rock from my teen years and the punk rock from my young adult years appealed to this boomer. Alternative Rock was always there but way in the background. At first there was ‘I.R.S. The Cutting Edge’ which ran once a month. It was a vehicle for the label’s artists that were alternative in that they were not synthpop Brits but punk inspired and influenced guitar playing Americans. Alt rock found a proper home on the program ‘120 Minutes’ It was appointment viewing for me. It ran on sunday night/monday mornings from midnight to 2AM. That is the worst time for a working person you want to go to bed early on sunday nights. Did not happen for me I had to get my fix of bands like the Pixies, Throwing Muses, and Pop Will Eat Itself. Even when alt rock exploded in the 90’s Matt Pinfield kept it fresh and interesting. The result a lot of dragging ass monday's but it was worth it. When alt exploded in the ‘90s MTV added ‘Alternative Nation’ weekday evenings. The VJ was Kennedy now best known as yet another conservative commentator. She was known as a conservative then but was a video music presenter. If anything that added to her quirky “alternative” persona.

This post was way longer and more PPR ish then I expected it to be which was a ok autistic boomer nostalgia piece. So I am not going to end this post the way the article ended with was MTV good for music. The 80s were one of the best times of my life because in part I was less of an alien to what was happening in the culture then I have been for most of the rest of my life. The music and what MTV was a important part of that. MTV was about entertainment, they entertained me.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman