Page 4 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 4:24 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Fnord wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
[...] I'm talking about all the rental properties being horded by landlords in pursuit of profit.
"Hoarded"?  Do you mean when a landlord owns more than one rental property?  There is nothing wrong with that; after all, someone has to own them.  If someone else wants to own them, they they could just buy them from the original owner.
I'm sure homeless people are able to simply cough up the cash to buy a property.
I am sorry to bag on you, XFG, because you have gone to bat for me more times than I can remember; but should landlords simply hand the deeds to their properties over to the tenants and just walk away?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Aug 2021, 4:26 am

I suspect the empty houses and homeless people significantly differ by their locations within US.

I mean, I expect empty houses mainly in countryside areas with sparse population, poor infrastructure, no jobs, etc. - while homeless people tend to inhabit big city centres.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 8:08 am

magz wrote:
I suspect the empty houses and homeless people significantly differ by their locations within US.  I mean, I expect empty houses mainly in countryside areas with sparse population, poor infrastructure, no jobs, etc. - while homeless people tend to inhabit big city centres.
While there are abandoned houses in rural areas, urban areas like Detroit feature entire neighborhoods that are abandoned.  As of 2020-09-01, the city had 102,330 vacant housing units, or 28 percent of the city's total housing stock!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Aug 2021, 10:43 am

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
I suspect the empty houses and homeless people significantly differ by their locations within US.  I mean, I expect empty houses mainly in countryside areas with sparse population, poor infrastructure, no jobs, etc. - while homeless people tend to inhabit big city centres.
While there are abandoned houses in rural areas, urban areas like Detroit feature entire neighborhoods that are abandoned.  As of 2020-09-01, the city had 102,330 vacant housing units, or 28 percent of the city's total housing stock!
And homelessness in Detroit is decreasing
Quote:
The report shows 1,589 homeless individuals in the Detroit area, including 351 under age 18. That figure is down 19% from 1,965 in 2019, according to HUD data.
https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... 756394001/

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 10:49 am

The city should change its name to DUHtroit.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 12:22 pm

I can respect a choice to live off the grid. It's already been said that quite a few homeless like the freedom. I don't understand the garbage aspect, it's easy to pick up after oneself. But, I can avoid that by avoiding the areas. Human waste is something different... I think porta-potties should be provided and maintained by the city in homeless camps. Maybe they already are, idk.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 12:34 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
[...] I think porta-potties should be provided and maintained by the city in homeless camps. Maybe they already are, idk.
Most parks and beaches in my area have permanent structures for this sort of need (with running water and sometimes electricity), which is why people set up their "communities" at those locations.

The trouble comes from those people for whom "things that go flush in the night" are not to their liking, and they will defecate and urinate wherever is most convenient for them.

And when twenty, fifty, a hundred, or more people pack themselves in to a small area, the filth and trash just pile up, because being expected to keep the area clean and tidy is just another hated imposition of rules upon them.

Why conform to societal expectations and be unhappy when they can live like pigs in their own slop and be happy?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 1:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:

Its a advantage to go were the pickins are easiest or most people are easy Marks ( targets). i would suppose , if your thinking is along those lines.

where ever you go ,there you are

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 1:11 pm

Jakki wrote:
Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Its a advantage to go were the pickins are easiest or most people are easy Marks ( targets). i would suppose , if your thinking is along those lines.
It seems it would be easier to panhandle at a beach near Los Angeles than in a slum near downtown Detroit.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 12:50 am

Fnord wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
[...] I think porta-potties should be provided and maintained by the city in homeless camps. Maybe they already are, idk.
Most parks and beaches in my area have permanent structures for this sort of need (with running water and sometimes electricity), which is why people set up their "communities" at those locations.

The trouble comes from those people for whom "things that go flush in the night" are not to their liking, and they will defecate and urinate wherever is most convenient for them.

And when twenty, fifty, a hundred, or more people pack themselves in to a small area, the filth and trash just pile up, because being expected to keep the area clean and tidy is just another hated imposition of rules upon them.

Why conform to societal expectations and be unhappy when they can live like pigs in their own slop and be happy?

My husband and I went to New Orleans just before Katrina hit, the favorite place of the homeless to s**t was in the recessed doorways of shops. The entire city smelled like human crap. I'll never understand it.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:12 am

Persephone29 wrote:
My husband and I went to New Orleans just before Katrina hit, the favorite place of the homeless to s**t was in the recessed doorways of shops. The entire city smelled like human crap. I'll never understand it.
They live like animals, and that is the way they mark their territories.