Anybody carry an 'Autism Alert Card?'

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 5:01 pm

Even with High Functioning Autism (HFA), Autism Alert Cards are probably most suitable in medical emergencies. LINK to story from Australian news media outlet on 'Autism Alert Cards'.

Interest on Autism Alert Cards seems greatest in the UK and Australia. Any experiences in the United States?

LINK: Story on Autism Alert Cards:
https://www.newsofthearea.com.au/autism ... card-59501

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 5:04 pm

I have my complete medical history, emergency contacts, and all my medications on the Emergency Health app of my iPhone. I just updated it the other day. I've never heard of cards but the phone app works for me because I've also had two strokes, and I have other conditions besides ASD.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 6:26 pm

No way. Why would I need an autism emergency card?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 6:42 pm

Joe90 wrote:

In my case, ASD identification would be helpful in the event that I have a public meltdown or I go mute in a crisis. It's not like I would hurt anyone, but my meltdowns can be quite intense. People stare at me like I'm a freak. At least I'd be able to justify my behaviour, if I upset the wrong person.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 8:48 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

In my case, ASD identification would be helpful in the event that I have a public meltdown or I go mute in a crisis. It's not like I would hurt anyone, but my meltdowns can be quite intense. People stare at me like I'm a freak. At least I'd be able to justify my behaviour, if I upset the wrong person.

Yes, autism cards are good for some, but not for me. Other than expressing a bit of impatience in my body language or facial expressions whenever I'm stressed in public, I have never actually had a meltdown. I've had a panic attack before in public but I managed to mask well until I got home, and then I sat and cried.
If I was injured, like getting knocked down by a car or something, my Asperger's wouldn't affect my ability to speak how I'm feeling (if I was unconscious it still wouldn't be because of Asperger's, so the paramedics wouldn't need to know). I can contain my Asperger's very well. In fact my Asperger's is very internal. My ADHD is external.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 10:28 pm

I have a MedicAlert card that has my diagnoses, medications, allergies, next of kin and doctor information on it.

I also have a black MedicAlert bracelet that has "Autism - Communication Difficulties" on it.

MedicAlert now has a lot of options and styles to choose from, they didn't have much when I first started ordering from them.

I have been approached by police before I got the MedicAlert stuff and if I didn't have my hospital band on my wrist (I was meant to be in the psych ward) I would have ended up at the police station instead of the hospital.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 10:33 pm

renaeden wrote:
I have a MedicAlert card that has my diagnoses, medications, allergies, next of kin and doctor information on it.

I also have a black MedicAlert bracelet that has "Autism - Communication Difficulties" on it.

MedicAlert now has a lot of options and styles to choose from, they didn't have much when I first started ordering from them.

I have been approached by police before I got the MedicAlert stuff and if I didn't have my hospital band on my wrist (I was meant to be in the psych ward) I would have ended up at the police station instead of the hospital.

I had a Medic Alert bracelet after my first stroke, but I can't handle any jewellery for sensory reasons. It's good that you have that card. I keep a self-made card in my wallet and one in my car. Both notify first responders to check my phone as well, for immediate contact with my doctors and kids.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 10:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

Yes, autism cards are good for some, but not for me. Other than expressing a bit of impatience in my body language or facial expressions whenever I'm stressed in public, I have never actually had a meltdown. I've had a panic attack before in public but I managed to mask well until I got home, and then I sat and cried.
If I was injured, like getting knocked down by a car or something, my Asperger's wouldn't affect my ability to speak how I'm feeling (if I was unconscious it still wouldn't be because of Asperger's, so the paramedics wouldn't need to know). I can contain my Asperger's very well. In fact my Asperger's is very internal. My ADHD is external.

You're fortunate that you don't melt down in public. I'm having more and more difficulty leaving the house or interacting with "the real world", every day. It's at a point where I can't deal with any sensory overload (misophonia and photophobia in particular), and I flip out very easily from anxiety when I have to interact with people or self-advocate. It's not all from my ASD. It's also my stroke which makes me impatient, and my PTSD. My threshold is very low for emotional flashbacks related to trauma, and I'm hyper-vigilant about personal protection or being manipulated. I can go from 0 - 50 very fast when I'm triggered. It usually results in unfavourable behaviour like swearing or walking out on people. It's terrifying because the more I fear it, the more it happens. I'm afraid to do anything lately, even phone calls or having workers at my house.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 11:38 pm

I don't have to. I don't need to.
Not even with my worst of my meltdowns.

All I need to go by with that is at least a single emergency contact.
Anything else is either irrelevant or that there isn't any specific info to speak of.

The worst thing anyone would be worried about me is me wandering around. :lol:
And I can afford to wander alone and without a guide.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 2:23 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

You're fortunate that you don't melt down in public. I'm having more and more difficulty leaving the house or interacting with "the real world", every day. It's at a point where I can't deal with any sensory overload (misophonia and photophobia in particular), and I flip out very easily from anxiety when I have to interact with people or self-advocate. It's not all from my ASD. It's also my stroke which makes me impatient, and my PTSD. My threshold is very low for emotional flashbacks related to trauma, and I'm hyper-vigilant about personal protection or being manipulated. I can go from 0 - 50 very fast when I'm triggered. It usually results in unfavourable behaviour like swearing or walking out on people. It's terrifying because the more I fear it, the more it happens. I'm afraid to do anything lately, even phone calls or having workers at my house.

I'm sorry you have to suffer a lot. :cry:

*Hugs*

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 2:27 am

i do

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2021, 5:18 am

I find it intriguing that the news article uses a picture of a fidget spinner to illustrate an autism alert card.

I don't carry such a card. I do not disclose my confidential medical history to strangers so have no need for one.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2021, 12:31 pm

Never heard of such a card.
- Curious; what might be the practical/intended application of this.

As far as alert, caffeine works for me

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 12:42 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm sorry you have to suffer a lot. :cry:

*Hugs*

Thanks love. I likely just made myself sound like a lunatic. ^^^ I don't go out much anyway, so it's not like this happens all the time. The swearing episodes are under my breath for the most part, and people don't always see or know when I'm triggered. I might walk away or seem rude because of tense body language but for the most part I'm so rigidly self-controlled that I hope people don't know. The biggest problem is my fear of making a bigger spectacle or having someone call police out of compassion, trying to help me if I seem distressed or disoriented. I have scopophobia and mutism so I wish I could just be invisible. I spend most of my time at home so it's OK, but I would want proof of my disabilities and my strokes, trauma, ADHD etc if I ever needed it in a crisis.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 1:20 pm

Harry Haller wrote:
Never heard of such a card.
- Curious; what might be the practical/intended application of this.

As far as alert, caffeine works for me

See original post: An 'Autism Alert Card' would likely only be used for medical emergencies.

EXCERPT from news-story in original post: “The Autism Alert card was suggested as an aid to help other people to understand and respond positively, and to prevent misinterpretation of behaviours,” he said.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2021, 2:50 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
See original post: An 'Autism Alert Card' would likely only be used for medical emergencies.

Kinda what I thought and it sounds reasonable.
- Except I worry the cops will shoot me as I reach for my wallet to explain.
- Except I worry the judge will assume it means I am a card-carrying cold-blooded psychopath.

But other than that why, it seems a great idea.

I gotta git me one.