California to pay reperations - forced sterilization victims

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 7:35 pm

California will pay reparations to survivors of state-sanctioned forced, involuntary sterilizations

Quote:
By signing the state budget, Gov. Gavin Newsom makes California the third state in the U.S. that will pay reparations to survivors of forced or involuntary sterilizations sanctioned by the state under eugenics laws.

It will be the first to pay reparations to survivors who were forcibly sterilized by doctors working in California prisons.

The state budget designates $7.5 million for reparations to survivors.

Between 1909 and 1979, the state sanctioned the forced or involuntary sterilization of roughly 20,000 people, making up roughly a third of sterilizations nationwide.

"Eugenics really put forth the idea that anyone that was kind of physically or mentally 'deficient,' was a social liability," said Natalie Lira, a researcher at the Department of Latina/Latino Studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, which helped provide data toward the effort.

"Many of them were also disproportionately Latinos, primarily Mexican origin folks, many were young," she said. "Majority of them were low-income folks, by and large."

A coalition of organizations will build the infrastructure to find survivors who don't know they were sterilized in state institutions, and eventually pay them reparations. They estimate payments could be up to $24,000, starting with an initial payment of roughly $12,000.

Lorena Garcia-Zermeño of California Latinas for Reproductive Justice said there are an estimated 383 living survivors of forced sterilization stemming from eugenics laws and approximately 244 survivors that were sterilized while incarcerated.
Supporters hope AB 1007 expands the definition of survivors across the state. Meantime, L.A. County Supervisor Hilda Solis just introduced a motion to explore reparations for forced sterilizations at L.A. County - USC Medical Center in the 60s and 70s.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2021, 10:41 pm

Shades of Nazi china Germany!! ! EEP!! ! 8O

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 5:54 am

Reparations are the proper way to go in this case.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 9:53 am

It wasn’t even that long ago.My sister in law went to school with a woman that happened to.She would be around 70 now if she’s still alive.
I met her, she loved children and was saddened she could never have any.She was developmentally disabled ,was married, lived a fully functioning life, and would have been a great mom.People hired her to baby sit.
Her name was Sue.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 10:15 am

Misslizard wrote:
It wasn’t even that long ago.My sister in law went to school with a woman that happened to.She would be around 70 now if she’s still alive.
I met her, she loved children and was saddened she could never have any.She was developmentally disabled ,was married, lived a fully functioning life, and would have been a great mom.People hired her to baby sit.
Her name was Sue.

So, the premise seems to be:
People feeling fulfilled, satisfying their involuntary genetic programming, is justification for bringing life into this existence?
"Interesting". :chin:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 10:35 am

Pepe wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Her name was Sue.

People feeling fulfilled, satisfying their involuntary genetic programming, is justification for bringing life into this existence?

What does that have to do with people being forced to have a medical procedure against their will?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 11:10 am

Pepe wrote:

Unsurprising, as the California eugenics movement *inspired* the subsequent Nazi sterilisation programme...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._S._Gosney#Biography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_G ... ontroversy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Bet ... Foundation

At Nuremberg, the Nazi defendants even quoted a 1927 US Supreme Court opinion as defense of their actions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_v._Bell

... including the infamous "Three generations of imbeciles are enough" line...

In Denmark we also had a similar eugenics movement - also inspired by the California movement - which was responsible for the sterilization of around 13,000 people from the 1920s to the 1960s.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 8:34 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Her name was Sue.

What does that have to do with people being forced to have a medical procedure against their will?

You are correct.
It is a side point, but relevant to my forming an opinion down the line.
I am looking at the bigger picture.
I am in work-in-progress mode, atm.

I see complexity where many don't.
It is both a curse and a virtue. :mrgreen:

Stay tuned for further conceptual development.
Same time.
Same channel. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 8:41 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Unsurprising, as the California eugenics movement *inspired* the subsequent Nazi sterilisation programme...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._S._Gosney#Biography
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_G ... ontroversy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Bet ... Foundation

At Nuremberg, the Nazi defendants even quoted a 1927 US Supreme Court opinion as defense of their actions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck_v._Bell

... including the infamous "Three generations of imbeciles are enough" line...

In Denmark we also had a similar eugenics movement - also inspired by the California movement - which was responsible for the sterilization of around 13,000 people from the 1920s to the 1960s.

My genetic coding is half German.
I am very familiar with what you have posted and have posted the same many times, over 8 years.
I am glad to see we are both on the same page. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 2:15 am

Eugenics science was flawed and the sterilisation of countless thousands in the 20th century was a waste.

Traits such as Intellectual disability, dwarfism etc are rarely inherited -- risk for younger siblings is low. Intellectual disability is most often caused by changes to the genome that take place in early fetal development and are not found in the parents' DNA.

Case in point actor Peter Dinklage has normal kids

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 5:16 am

Quote:
Search for: Is intellectual disability hereditary?
Does intellectual disability run in families?
The most common causes of intellectual disabilities are: Genetic conditions. Sometimes an intellectual disability is caused by abnormal genes inherited from parents, errors when genes combine, or other reasons. Examples of genetic conditions are Down syndrome, Fragile X syndrome, and phenylketonuria (PKU).

Quote:
People also ask
Is intellectual disability hereditary?
Intellectual disability is a severe handicap that affects between one and two percent of children worldwide. It can often be attributed to genetic causes, but the specific genes involved were mostly unknown.

Quote:
What is the most common cause of intellectual disability?
Some of the most common known causes of intellectual disability include fetal alcohol syndrome; genetic and chromosomal conditions, such as Down syndrome and fragile X syndrome; and certain infections during pregnancy. Children who have a sibling with autism are at a higher risk of also having autism spectrum disorder.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 5:23 am

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 110144.htm
Intellectual disability is rarely inherited -- risk for younger siblings is low

The majority of these variants, 75%, was the result of random mutations taking place during fetal development (de novo), and variants not found in the parents' genome.

"Based on our findings, the risk of recurrence of intellectual disability in the next child of individual families is usually low," says Docent Irma Järvelä. According to Järvelä who condicted this study at the University of Helsinki. This is a significant and relieving piece of information for many families.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 8:06 am

Interesting. I'm glad they acknowledged it.

Here in Virginia they did that as well. To all sorts. It happened to Native Americans and mixed race women as well as people with cognitive differences. I have heard that women of color tried not to go to the hospital to have their children during that time for fear that they would have an extra procedure snuck in without their consent.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 8:43 am

Well, it's constitutional, as decided by the Supreme Court... after all, as Justice Holmes put it, "The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes."

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 11:07 am

Now, remind me again why anyone who questions the good intentions of the state is just a crazy conspiracy theorist?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 4:29 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Now, remind me again why anyone who questions the good intentions of the state is just a crazy conspiracy theorist?

Depends what it is.