The fact that autism is not an illness

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2021, 1:15 pm

Sometimes i wish it was an illness because at least i would have hope to get treated and cure it. But the fact my brain is wired differently bothers me. I feel hopeless and worried about future.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2021, 7:38 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:
Sometimes i wish it was an illness because at least i would have hope to get treated and cure it. But the fact my brain is wired differently bothers me. I feel hopeless and worried about future.

Wow. Where to begin with this one.

1.) For many (At least 70% based on the medical stats I've read), perhaps not all, it is an illness.

2.) I've been sharing here for ~9 years how I treat my ASD symptoms with great success.

3.) I've also shared how I recognized infant signs in a 12 month old baby boy and told his parents what to do to reverse it. He's 9 and NT - and Also the single greatest accomplishment of my life to date. Learning to treat my own ASD was a relatively short lived personal best because his case came along a mere matter of months later.

4.) I also shared my thoughts on how ASD will be treated and cured and low & behold, over the last handful of years there have been medical studies done utilizing exactly the methods I proposed (FMT) on a couple hundred children who were followed up with 2 years after treatment and determined to be off the spectrum. I don't yet know if this will work on a fully grown adult - while I'm willing to do it, I simply have yet to prioritize doing it. It's not that expensive, either, approximately $2k.

Even w/o a cure, my future still has plenty of hope with the effective treatment protocol I've created for myself. My life isn't perfect and I still have my ups and downs, but it's liiiiiightyears better than it was when my ASD symptoms were off the charts and I couldn't function in life or work etc.

My brain is likely Also wired differently - and I might pay for some fMRI's to see it someday just out of interest, and like others I can't control that, but what I Can control is the gut dysbiosis component affecting the functioning of my enteric nervous system. Boom! Living a second life for it. 8)

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2021, 7:54 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Highly_Autistic wrote:

1.) For many (At least 70% based on the medical stats I've read), perhaps not all, it is an illness.

2.) I've been sharing here for ~9 years how I treat my ASD symptoms with great success.

3.) I've also shared how I recognized infant signs in a 12 month old baby boy and told his parents what to do to reverse it. He's 9 and NT - and Also the single greatest accomplishment of my life to date. Learning to treat my own ASD was a relatively short lived personal best because his case came along a mere matter of months later.

4.) I also shared my thoughts on how ASD will be treated and cured and low & behold, over the last handful of years there have been medical studies done utilizing exactly the methods I proposed (FMT) on a couple hundred children who were followed up with 2 years after treatment and determined to be off the spectrum. I don't yet know if this will work on a fully grown adult - while I'm willing to do it, I simply have yet to prioritize doing it. It's not that expensive, either, approximately $2k.

Even w/o a cure, my future still has plenty of hope with the effective treatment protocol I've created for myself. My life isn't perfect and I still have my ups and downs, but it's liiiiiightyears better than it was when my ASD symptoms were off the charts and I couldn't function in life or work etc.

My brain is likely Also wired differently - and I might pay for some fMRI's to see it someday just out of interest, and like others I can't control that, but what I Can control is the gut dysbiosis component affecting the functioning of my enteric nervous system. Boom! Living a second life for it. 8)

Thats some important stuff. So autism is linked to guts ? I feel like i couldnt make a progress since the first time i realized i have aspergers. Despite taking tons of medications and getting therapy.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 11:37 am

Highly_Autistic wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Highly_Autistic wrote:

Thats some important stuff. So autism is linked to guts ? I feel like i couldnt make a progress since the first time i realized i have aspergers. Despite taking tons of medications and getting therapy.

It isn't. My doctor assures me that it's not caused by vaccines or intestinal microflora. The people who believe it does are to medicine what flat earth types are to geology. You are what your genes made you.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 6:22 pm

I have a strong suspicion that just as the exact symptoms are not the same for everyone, the root cause is not the same for everyone, perhaps even people with identical symptoms. So what helps one person may have no effect whatsoever on another, or perhaps even be harmful to another. And if that’s true, one universal “cure” is impossible.

At least in my case, autism is not an illness but is a disorder and unquestionably a disability.

I quite deliberately, though, never claim to speak for anyone but myself.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 12:11 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I have a strong suspicion that just as the exact symptoms are not the same for everyone, the root cause is not the same for everyone, perhaps even people with identical symptoms. So what helps one person may have no effect whatsoever on another, or perhaps even be harmful to another. And if that’s true, one universal “cure” is impossible.

At least in my case, autism is not an illness but is a disorder and unquestionably a disability.

I quite deliberately, though, never claim to speak for anyone but myself.

As it is clearly entirely genetic in origin, trying to cure it is like trying to cure Downs Syndrome.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 5:50 am

You can’t “cure” it—but it is eminently treatable.

You can’t “cure” the Common Cold, either.

Autism is not “genetic” like Down’s is “genetic/chromosomal.” It is, perhaps, more of a syndrome than anything else. Dragon hit the nail on the head as to its complexity.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Aug 2021, 6:43 am

Autism can't be "cured" but problematic symptoms can be managed, accommodated or sometimes overcome.
Keeping physical and mental health in possibly good state helps a lot.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Aug 2021, 2:39 pm

! magz wrote:
This is The Haven.
The Haven Rules are here.
The lenghty discussion has been moved here.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>