Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2021, 12:01 pm

Like business, math, physics ect?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 12:15 pm

What do you like doing? What do you enjoy doing?

This usually gives an indication of what you are good at as we take pleasure of doing the things we like to do.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 12:22 pm

Technic1 wrote:
Like business, math, physics ect?

That's a tricky one, due to the Dunning-Kruger effect. If you are no good at something, you also lack the ability to evaluate your performance. You may be enjoying yourself and feel quite satisfied with your work when you are actually just getting in the way. If you are good at something, it will seem obvious and easy, and you will assume that it is the same for everyone. You have to turn off your ego, and compare your results to those of others in the most rational ways available.
I recently heard of a guy who paddled his canoe for five hours, and wound up right where he had started. His feelings about directions were stronger than his logical ability to deduce them, and instruction was mostly ineffective.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2021, 6:46 am

Can anyone else offer advice please.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 6:51 am

If you’re good at managing money, you would probably be good in business.

If you’re fascinated by and understand quantum physics, you would probably be good in physics.

To me, there’s practical math and theoretical math—two different fields, in my opinion.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2021, 7:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you’re good at managing money, you would probably be good in business.

If you’re fascinated by and understand quantum physics, you would probably be good in physics.

To me, there’s practical math and theoretical math—two different fields, in my opinion.

But in every field my thoughts are new.

Like throwing light from light to make something faster than the speed of light.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 7:42 am

I would have to know you in person in order to effectively answer your question.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 8:06 am

In the 18th century, there was a guy in the sciences who had made a few contributions, but was hard to approach. Once his papers were re-read toward the end of the 19th century, people realized that he had anticipated about half of the next century's discoveries, but not been understood.
You may have a thousand great ideas, but to make an impact, you may have to choose just one or two and learn to sell them. Even experimental proof is often quite inadequate. People think with their emotions, and then paste on some rationalization to feel rational about their decisions. However, you should definitely test your ideas experimentally to check your own thinking.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 8:51 am

Take the Armed Service Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB).  Once completed and graded, you will have a better idea of which kind of work fits your skills and interests.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2021, 2:53 pm

Describe something you do every day that you enjoy.
If you have several things you enjoy, what is the commonality between them?

If you can't think of anything, then consider activities you do every day or on most days or weeks. Even if you are not sure if you enjoy them, there may be something you do that suggests enjoyment.

Once you have an idea or a notion, consider what it has in common with other things. For instance, if you like counting numbers, finding patterns in them, and shifting them about to create complex equations, you may have math proficiencies that can help you indicate what you are good at. If you like animals and pets and taking care of them, then you might have aptitude in fields that deal with animals. If you happen to be creative, what creative things do you enjoy?

You do not need to be "good at" anything however. some people are good at several things, but not to any great degree, some have one thing above all others they are good at, and some have interests that aren't things that offer excellence in the world at large. It is hard to tell without some input or feedback from you to know about these things. Being "good at" a thing isn't necessary for having ASD, or even for being NT. Many NT people aren't good at anything. And many are good at things that do not help them in life. Same goes for people on the spectrum. I am one of those...I am good at several things, but none of them are useful day to day. I am competent in one specific field, but I really do not enjoy it at all.

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

02 Aug 2021, 4:24 pm

There is something called Campbell Interest and Skill Survey that you can take and it will reveal areas that you lean toward, that you should consider for a career. They have a web site (search for it) but you may have to work thru a counselor of some sort.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 5:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
Take the Armed Service Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB).  Once completed and graded, you will have a better idea of which kind of work fits your skills and interests.

That seems a good idea - in fact any comprehensive and reliable aptitude test ought to work, though I don't know of anything specifically. I took an aptitude test as part of my 11-plus exam but that was a long time ago and I don't think they ever gave me the detailed results, which is a shame.

Otherwise, trial-and-error would tell you a lot if you're the type to be honest with yourself when you assess whether you've succeeded or failed. I don't seem to have much of a problem over being realistic about my abilities, but I've heard most people do.