Page 1 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 9:15 pm

It seems to me that American civilization has changed a lot since 2001, and I thought that if something like 9/11 were to happen today, then the US would not retaliate against any orgranizations that they thought commited the act. They would probably just think it's too politically incorrect to attack back today, and just not do anything I am guessing? Or what do you think out of curiosity, if the society has changed that much since?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 9:26 pm

We’re more concerned about domestic, far-right terrorism now than about foreign terrorists.

1/6 changed everything just as much as 9/11.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 9:29 pm

Oh but I mean if foreign terrorism came about of course and attacked.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 9:31 pm

ironpony wrote:
It seems to me that American civilization has changed a lot since 2001, and I thought that if something like 9/11 were to happen today, then the US would not retaliate against any orgranizations that they thought commited the act. They would probably just think it's too politically incorrect to attack back today, and just not do anything I am guessing? Or what do you think out of curiosity, if the society has changed that much since?

Politically incorrect, or did they just learn from last time where it didn't accomplish jack s**t?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 9:38 pm

If 9/11 happened again, we would attack who did it.

It’s garbage to say we wouldn’t seek retribution because of “political correctness.” That is absolutely a ridiculous notion.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 10:10 pm

Depends on the nature of the attack.

Trump and Mike Pence accused China of releasing a bioweapon and curiously the Chinese government has been aggressively expanding militarily during COVID-19 since March 2020. Millions have died as a result of the virus which could well have been designed as a bioweapon. But the US isn't taking action against China.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 10:26 pm

Political correctness has nothing to do with it. Our PCness hasnt changed much since then. And even if it has thats irrelevant. What matters is look what we accomplished? Zip. We have been there 20 years and it accomplished nothing.

The irony is that now that were finnally totally pulling out of Afganistan, and that we all know Afganistan will fall to the Taliban, and return to its pre 911 state of being ruled by the Taliban- that country could in principle become a haven for Al Queda again. And in theory it could be the base for another 911. In which case the US was just invade Afganistan again. Though I doubt we would stay there again for 20 years.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 10:34 pm

Oh okay, but I thought that Americans wanted to get back at Al Quada for 9/11 and that was the accomplishment, wasn't it? Does taking them down not count for anything?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 10:35 pm

Wasn't 9/11 used as justification to go to war with people that had nothing to do with the attack? People might be more in the know now to be able to catch out such pivoted justifications. Certain people are as hungry as ever for an attack to happen so that they can have an excuse to do something. But also since 9/11 you also see a large instances of the USA using drones that can kill innocents, and despite information coming out no one cares.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 10:38 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, but I thought that Americans wanted to get back at Al Quada for 9/11 and that was the accomplishment, wasn't it? Does taking them down not count for anything?

Al Qaeda is still around though. They weren't taken down, they just were fought with.

America bombed a lot of civilians throughout that campaign and basically ensured they'd be fighting kids born after the invasion started.

What do they have to show for it?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 10:40 pm

Oh okay but does that mean they shouldn't have tried going after those responsible at all then, or not even try? They still got Bin Laden as well, so would he not have been worth it still?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 10:58 pm

We had to do SOMETHING after 9/11–otherwise, we would have been laughingstocks.

Some of the things we did were not warranted, though. Never in a war should civilians be harmed.

I really wish we followed the Geneva Convention.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 11:03 pm

We would retaliate but instead of uniting we would divide further. 9/11 conspiracy theories happened in a major way then, they would be much more popular today("Fake news, the hijackers and victims are crises actors", ). And of course, there would be anti lockdown riots. And systemic racism would be brought into it in some way.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 11:17 pm

ironpony wrote:

Yes. We did accomplish that. Killed Ben Laden and did indeed cripple Al Queda. I stand corrected. But the nation building of Afganistan didnt get very far.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 11:23 pm

But I don't think that building Afghanistan was the point was it? I meant I thought that it accomplished going after those responsible, yes. I didn't know that rebuilding Afghanistan was such a big deal in the case of retaliation?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2021, 11:43 pm

ironpony wrote:
But I don't think that building Afghanistan was the point was it? I meant I thought that it accomplished going after those responsible, yes. I didn't know that rebuilding Afghanistan was such a big deal in the case of retaliation?

They usually tried to talk about helping the people of Afghanistan, not collectively punishing them because Al Qaeda had sought refuge there.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う