Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 9:23 pm

To Salad: Glad your back, but...

I am sorry to see how troubled you are.

Get counseling please.

When someone advocates eugenics against themselves they obviously need a hotline, and not the high school debate team.So I choose not to take this thread seriously.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 9:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
To Salad: Glad your back, but...

I am sorry to see how troubled you are.

Get counseling please.

When someone advocates eugenics against themselves they obviously need a hotline, and not the high school debate team.So I choose not to take this thread seriously.

I definitely believe in eugenics and my views havent changed

However I will admit to making this thread while feeling deeply depressed and suicidal and as a cry for help

However now I no longer feel suicidal, although I am definitely climbing uphill from depression

I hate the way God made me and wish he made me less broken, but f**k it if this guy can be successful with no arms and no legs:

Then I have no excuse to be here whining about my bad genetics

Master Oogway

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 10:22 pm

Hey salad, don't be disheartened.

Be compassionate to those who suffer and you will find that compassion also applies to yourself. Love and accept whom you are. Wisdom is about accepting the things you can change and knowing the things you can't change.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 10:35 pm

Well I don't want to have kids, largely because I don't want to.

But even if I did, I have like potential genes for muscular dystrophy, so probably would not want to risk having a kid. With all my mental health stuff and me and my boyfriends financial situation we could not afford to take care of a normal child let alone one with a severe condition.

For me the muscular dystrophy signs may be down to a genetic mutation, but that is not to say it could not cause the actual condition in my offspring if I had any. So idk I don't think it is bad to consider risks and things, but I could not agree to like forced sterilization...like idk I am a pro-choicer and think women should be able to get an abortion if they want, but that also means I think if a woman chooses to have a baby she also be able to do that.

So I for sure could not defend stopping a woman from making the choice of an abortion, but I also could not defend stopping a woman from making the choice of having the baby if she wants to.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 10:41 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Be compassionate to those who suffer and you will find that compassion also applies to yourself. Love and accept whom you are. Wisdom is about accepting the things you can change and knowing the things you can't change.

I love myself but hate the way I was made. I hate the scars all over my face, my short height, body's inability to absorb protein and low muscle tone, brain's dyslexic symptoms, chronic fatigue syndrome, etc.

I choose though to fight with my life and soul to be the best I can be in spite of these limitations.

Master Oogway

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 10:43 pm

salad wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I love myself but hate the way I was made. I hate the scars all over my face, my short height, body's inability to absorb protein and low muscle tone, brain's dyslexic symptoms, chronic fatigue syndrome, etc.

I choose though to fight with my life and soul to be the best I can be in spite of these limitations.

At least you love yourself....lol that is such an alien concept to me, seems like a good thing but yeah I certainly cannot do that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 11:00 pm

Accepting who you are (scars and all) is important for good mental health.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 11:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I accept who I am, but don't know that I love it...idk, but I guess at least some acceptance may be part of the path towards that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 11:09 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I accept who I am, but don't know that I love it...idk, but I guess at least some acceptance may be part of the path towards that.

Love is a construct, acceptance is a state of mind.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 11:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Love is a construct, acceptance is a state of mind.

Probably why the later is easier...I do love my boyfriend though, lol if I cannot totally love myself there is at least something I can love. I guess I could also maybe say I kind of love the nature around where I live now, but I need to get myself up early and go for a walk to observe the birds and other animals. I am just so used to living in a place that does not really have that right out my door...but I bet I'd feel happier going out to watch animals around the river early in the morning than waking up and getting on this forum first thing. But I am still trying to create a habit of getting up earlier in the morning, just have not been totally successful yet.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 2:09 am

Actually love is an interesting construct, it contains devotion, happiness, content, affection, the rush of endorphins and so many more things.

I think its possible to feel these things in yourself (not just your boyfriend :D )

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 2:45 pm

salad wrote:
The only part of eugenics that is bad is the racism part

But

"I'm not racist, but..."

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 2:53 pm

Barchan wrote:
salad wrote:

But

"I'm not racist, but..."

Yup

How this topic hasn't been locked yet is beyond me.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 2:56 pm

salad wrote:

But the part of eugenics that wants to improve the genetic breed of a stock isnt bad, and calling it ableism detracts from the fact that objectively many people like me suffer from certain maladaptive genes that are passed filtered out of the gene pool

We need to stop acting as if all genetic expressions are created equal because they're not

There are many people, me included, suffering agonizing existences because of terrible genes that never would have been expressed had society not declared eugenics an anathema to society

In animals yes, but when it's used on humans it can be very dangerous. If you didn't read about the holocaust, which by the way is not a hoax. There is too much evidence it happened and there were the Nuremburg trials.

Anyway- Dr. Mengle and his team of "Scientists" ran a bunch of sick experiments on who they thought were deplorable to see how much they could look like the arayan race.

We also have people who want to cure autistics. Until them, we are less than human.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 3:11 pm

Barchan wrote:
salad wrote:

But

"I'm not racist, but..."

To be fair, that's largely a reflection of the racism of those who practiced it.

That's not to suggest that eugenics is desirable or could be practiced in a way that isn't highly offensive and creepy in one way or another, just that racists hijacking eugenics isn't a problem with eugenics anymore than attempts at claiming evolution supports racist conclusion is a problem with evolution. In both cases it's racists trying to bend other ideas to fit their worldview.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 3:38 pm

I think the OP conflated the topic of this thread with his own personal journey.

My guess is nobody actually wants to force sterilisation or termination on anyone. This remains a personal decision on the part of parents