Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 2 Mar 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,763

02 Aug 2021, 7:59 am

I keep hearing "potentially 3.6 million people evicted" because the moratorium on evictions is being lifted here in the states this week. There are supposed to be around 33 million people living in the United States, so this just seems like a high number to me. It was taking awhile for me to get to sleep last night, so I decided to track down the sources on this number.

Here is a sample recent news story: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/03/more-th ... -ends.html

You have to click around and around to track down the source data, but it is actually this: https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys ... /data.html

(SUGGESTION: Look at the Data Tool under the "Explore More" heading toward the end of the page)

Apparently the US Census sent out some texts and emails last year with a short survey asking people about their general financial and job wellbeing. I did not track down where they got their lists for who to send the questionnaires to, but you have to consider what kind of person would take the time to fill it out. Perhaps a person who would be interested and concerned? So the disinterested, irritated, unconcerned, etc, would not have their information gathered.

So they are using their sample to represent the conditions of each state, which I do not think is accurate. Judging by their sampling, we would have to assume that 1 in 4 to 1 in 3 people on my street seriously think they will be evicted in the next two months. Come on now. 50% of the people in New Hampshire think they will get the boot in the next two months??? Really??

While I was looking at this I also took a look at jobs. You would have to look up something called the JOLTS report for this, which I did for 2021 and 2017. (https://www.bls.gov/jlt/)

Numbers for hiring, firing, and quitting were all nearly the same. The only thing that is different is that there are vastly more jobs open now than there were in 2017. There were something like 6.5 million jobs open in 2017 and now there are 9.2 million jobs open. Since all the other job numbers were about the same, this means the jobs have been created. CREATED. Hmm. I haven't heard anything about that, have you guys? Joe Biden the Jobs Creator?

(TL;DR: The numbers for the people "likely evicted" is faulty, and bonus, we have a huge number of jobs created under the Biden admin)



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,262
Location: Stendec

02 Aug 2021, 8:57 am

People will be evicted.  The processes have already started.  Just about every apartment-dweller I know has received notice that paperwork has been filed, even those who have kept up with their rent payments.

The sad part is that in order to have someplace to stay, they must move in with family or friends, thus increasing potential exposure to the coronavirus, and increasing the likelihood of spreading covid.

The situation is going to get much worse before it gets any better.



QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,580
Location: Midwest

02 Aug 2021, 9:22 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
There are supposed to be around 33 million people living in the United States, so this just seems like a high number to me. It was taking awhile for me to get to sleep last night, so I decided to track down the sources on this number.


I think you are missing a zero in the above figure. There are roughly 330 million people living in the US per the last census.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,262
Location: Stendec

02 Aug 2021, 9:32 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
There are supposed to be around 33 million people living in the United States, so this just seems like a high number to me. It was taking awhile for me to get to sleep last night, so I decided to track down the sources on this number.
I think you are missing a zero in the above figure. There are roughly 330 million people living in the US per the last census.
331,002,651 people, to be exact...

Image


... Captain.

:wink:



TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,063
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

02 Aug 2021, 10:16 am

Not only evictions ... maybe ... sued for back rent, and reported to credit agencies as BAD CREDITOR.


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,262
Location: Stendec

02 Aug 2021, 10:40 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Not only evictions ... maybe ... sued for back rent, and reported to credit agencies as BAD CREDITOR...
... and the landlords will become known as mean, nasty, greedy people, and no one will ever want to rent from them again, and they will eventually end up living on the street after the banks foreclose on their rental properties after suing for back mortgage payments, and being reported to credit agencies as bad credit risks.

Then the rest of us who have been more frugal with our wealth will step in, buy up the rental properties free and clear, and then let them out to people who can actually pay the rent.



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,437
Location: wales

02 Aug 2021, 10:48 am

Fnord wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Not only evictions ... maybe ... sued for back rent, and reported to credit agencies as BAD CREDITOR...
... and the landlords will become known as mean, nasty, greedy people, and no one will ever want to rent from them again, and they will eventually end up living on the street after the banks foreclose on their rental properties after suing for back mortgage payments, and being reported to credit agencies as bad credit risks.

Then the rest of us who have been more frugal with our wealth will step in, buy up the rental properties free and clear, and then let them out to people who can actually pay the rent.


I'm buying houses with people in them now. My subjugated surfs have a written track record or paying rent on time and it has the added benefit of cutting out 90% of the competition and all first time buyers for a good price. I paid many thousands less for my most recent house than the previous owner paid...........in January 2005. They also get immediate priority over the more feckless tenant's the exact day I buy the house.

Something not to overlook that's for sure.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 52,262
Location: Stendec

02 Aug 2021, 10:54 am

Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Not only evictions ... maybe ... sued for back rent, and reported to credit agencies as BAD CREDITOR...
... and the landlords will become known as mean, nasty, greedy people, and no one will ever want to rent from them again, and they will eventually end up living on the street after the banks foreclose on their rental properties after suing for back mortgage payments, and being reported to credit agencies as bad credit risks.  Then the rest of us who have been more frugal with our wealth will step in, buy up the rental properties free and clear, and then let them out to people who can actually pay the rent.
I'm buying houses with people in them now. My subjugated surfs have a written track record or paying rent on time and it has the added benefit of cutting out 90% of the competition and all first time buyers for a good price. I paid many thousands less for my most recent house than the previous owner paid... in January 2005. They also get immediate priority over the more feckless tenant's the exact day I buy the house.  Something not to overlook that's for sure.
One man's loss is another man's gain, that is also for sure.



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,437
Location: wales

02 Aug 2021, 11:18 am

Fnord wrote:
Nades wrote:
Fnord wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Not only evictions ... maybe ... sued for back rent, and reported to credit agencies as BAD CREDITOR...
... and the landlords will become known as mean, nasty, greedy people, and no one will ever want to rent from them again, and they will eventually end up living on the street after the banks foreclose on their rental properties after suing for back mortgage payments, and being reported to credit agencies as bad credit risks.  Then the rest of us who have been more frugal with our wealth will step in, buy up the rental properties free and clear, and then let them out to people who can actually pay the rent.
I'm buying houses with people in them now. My subjugated surfs have a written track record or paying rent on time and it has the added benefit of cutting out 90% of the competition and all first time buyers for a good price. I paid many thousands less for my most recent house than the previous owner paid... in January 2005. They also get immediate priority over the more feckless tenant's the exact day I buy the house.  Something not to overlook that's for sure.
One man's loss is another man's gain, that is also for sure.


I think the pandemic has made landlords get panicky even with good tenants now. Houses are popping up for sale with great tenants and I'm baffled as to what warranted the sale. Thinking about it, I can only assume the pandemic.



Blue_Star
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2009
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 243

02 Aug 2021, 11:29 am

Many small time landlords are suffering under the number of tenants who completely stopped paying rent. Many ppl just stopped paying once they learned they couldn't be evicted. It's rather quite disgusting. I have a very hard time feeling sorry for people who made the choice to screw over others. Some tenants didn't make a choice & fell on hard times, but many did make that choice. Not all landlords are rich, up-in-the-air-from-the-peons, ppl.



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1931
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,437
Location: wales

02 Aug 2021, 12:00 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
Many small time landlords are suffering under the number of tenants who completely stopped paying rent. Many ppl just stopped paying once they learned they couldn't be evicted. It's rather quite disgusting. I have a very hard time feeling sorry for people who made the choice to screw over others. Some tenants didn't make a choice & fell on hard times, but many did make that choice. Not all landlords are rich, up-in-the-air-from-the-peons, ppl.


I would be ruthless if I had such a tenant. I would give them a horrid reference and probably trash their credit score.



Blue_Star
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2009
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 243

02 Aug 2021, 12:29 pm

Reporting non-payment to credit companies is becoming a more common occurrence. Checking for past evictions & filing current evictions are both becoming regular practices for small landlords who didn't bother in the past. Garnishing the wages (after winning a judgement on back rent owed in court) of the former tenants will also likely pick up once landlords can get back in court.

Nades wrote:
I would be ruthless if I had such a tenant. I would give them a horrid reference and probably trash their credit score.



TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,063
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

02 Aug 2021, 12:40 pm

Couple buys California dream home, but seller refuses to move out in eviction moratorium loophole
https://www.foxbusiness.com/real-estate ... m-loophole

California did not permit forcible removable of home occupants during COVID, so sellers could sell their homes, and live in the buyer's new home rent free for 1+ years.


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,063
Location: Quiet, Dark, Comfy Spot

02 Aug 2021, 12:48 pm

This also applies to squatters ..

A squatter could not be evicted.

Squatter on social assistance takes advantage of eviction moratorium, leaving homeowners in limbo
https://www.foxla.com/news/squatter-on- ... s-in-limbo


_________________
Then a hero comes along, with the strength to carry on, and you cast your fears aside, and you know you can survive.

Be the hero of your life.


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,950
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

02 Aug 2021, 12:51 pm

Fnord wrote:
People will be evicted.  The processes have already started.  Just about every apartment-dweller I know has received notice that paperwork has been filed, even those who have kept up with their rent payments.

The sad part is that in order to have someplace to stay, they must move in with family or friends, thus increasing potential exposure to the coronavirus, and increasing the likelihood of spreading covid.

The situation is going to get much worse before it gets any better.


Why would people who've kept up on their rent all be being evicted? Legally?

Tomorrow will likely be legal eviction day for my friend's terrible tenant - but that's not covid related; he's just an awful leech - give him an inch he takes 2 country miles types. He has a home, but there's a high probability he's about to lose both of his businesses and thus source of income. He made his bed though, so he can lay in it.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,950
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

02 Aug 2021, 12:56 pm

Also, isn't the US Census supposed to include EVERYONE? Not just a the few people who are upset with an issue and decide to respond ? Like, isn't there a law that says everyone has to participate in it so they get accurate records?

Afaik, almost everyone in the USA and Canada participate in Census surveys so the results are fairly accurate.


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.