What ideas or inventions have you made up?

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 7:56 pm

I've been draining boiling water from pots for half a century, but lately, I've been thinking that there should be some work done to let the lid fit securely when slightly off-center, so I don't have to hold it on so tightly.

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Aug 2021, 4:33 am

I realised that if everyone gave £1 - $1 or 100 yen to charity then there are 500 million people in the US…

60 million people in the UK

And 1 billion people in China.

That’s 5 million pound a week from the US, 6 hundred thousand from the UK and 10 million pounds a week from China.

World wide that’s £15 million pounds a week to charity.

That was 10 years ago. Since then I have tried investment sites and such but some people seem to have stolen my idea!

10 years later there the first page of google is littered with $1 a week sites…10 years LATE(R)

They seem to think that the idea is the key, and not the mindset it takes to have thousands of equally good ideas to make a business work…?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 8:29 am

After reading through all the posts in this thread, I came to the realization that most of you do not understand the difference between an invention, an innovation, a discovery, and an idea.

INVENTION: An invention is a unique or novel device, method, composition or process.  The invention process is a process within an overall engineering and product development process.  An invention that achieves a completely unique function or result may be a radical breakthrough.

INNOVATION: An innovation occurs when an improvement is made upon a previous invention, or a new process for creating an already-existing object or a result is developed.

DISCOVERY: A discovery is the revelation of a natural substance or phenomenon.

IDEA: An idea is no more than a thought or suggestion as to a possible course of action.

Most of you people seem to have only ideas, not inventions; some of you seem to have developed, or are in the process of developing innovations to other people's inventions; and only a small number of you seem to have made any significant discoveries to advance science, engineering, and technology.

Oh, and by the way ... no one is "stealing" your ideas if they develop them on their own -- just ask Leibniz about his new method for calculating maxima and minima, for example.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 18 Aug 2021, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 8:29 am

Dear_one wrote:
I've been draining boiling water from pots for half a century, but lately, I've been thinking that there should be some work done to let the lid fit securely when slightly off-center, so I don't have to hold it on so tightly.
I use a colander.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 9:06 am

Fnord - I recently discovered another purpose for my research compounds that I earned my doctorate with. When they were initially created, their purpose was as chemical sensors for certain specie. What I found is that they just happen to be excellent catalysts to grow endohedral carbon nanotubes and fullerenes when the right conditions are met. I am currently working on modifying them to make diamond thin film/graphene materials.

Why do this? The answer is hidden in pure carbon computer chip design technology.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 9:10 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Fnord - I recently discovered another purpose for my research compounds that I earned my doctorate with. When they were initially created, their purpose was as chemical sensors for certain specie. What I found is that they just happen to be excellent catalysts to grow endohedral carbon nanotubes and fullerenes when the right conditions are met. I am currently working on modifying them to make diamond thin film/graphene materials.

Why do this? The answer is hidden in pure carbon computer chip design technology.
Excellent!  I hope to read about it in a science journal one day.

Links?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 9:43 am

Fnord wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:

Excellent!  I hope to read about it in a science journal one day.

Links?

I have not published it yet, as there are many tests that have yet to be done. I have only done the preliminary experiment that gave some very promising results, so I need to repeat it some more and then study the products again. When I do publish, I will send you a link to the article. Since the identity of my original compounds were buried in my dissertation, I seriously doubt someone will beat me to the punch on this one. It may take some time to do as I have to work with a collaborator to get the funding for the experiments.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 9:53 am

Fnord wrote:
After reading through all the posts in this thread, I came to the realization that most of you do not understand the difference between an invention, an innovation, a discovery, and an idea.

INVENTION: An invention is a unique or novel device, method, composition or process.  The invention process is a process within an overall engineering and product development process.  An invention that achieves a completely unique function or result may be a radical breakthrough.

INNOVATION: An innovation occurs when an improvement is made upon a previous invention, or a new process for creating an already-existing object or a result is developed.

DISCOVERY: A discovery is the revelation of a natural substance or phenomenon.

IDEA: An idea is no more than a thought or suggestion as to a possible course of action.

Most of you people seem to have only ideas, not inventions; some of you seem to have developed, or are in the process of developing innovations to other people's inventions; and only a small number of you seem to have made any significant discoveries to advance science, engineering, and technology.

Oh, and by the way ... no one is "stealing" your ideas if they develop them on their own -- just ask Leibniz about his new method for calculating maxima and minima, for example.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/invention

Invention: anything invented or devised

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/invent

Invent: to originate or create as a product of one's own ingenuity, experimentation, or contrivance; to produce or create with the imagination.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 10:01 am

Fnord wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
I use a colander.

I save on wash-up and storage space. I'm disappointed if I can only use something for one job.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 10:11 am

Dear_one wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
I use a colander.
I save on wash-up and storage space. I'm disappointed if I can only use something for one job.
My wife buys a lot of novel kitchen gadgets ... three rice-cookers, two pressure cookers (one auto, one manual), a turbo-fryer oven, various choppers, graters, sifters, non-stick pans, colanders, peelers, and storage containers.

(Stacks of storage containers!)

She gives me strange looks when I haul out my grandma's old cast-iron skillet to make Sunday breakfast.

Anyway ... we have wandered off-topic ...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 9:09 pm

One piece jigsaws because they are easier to make.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 9:12 pm

Pineapple lemonade.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 10:49 pm

↑ Does it taste anything like purple orange juice?