Kevin McCarthy - 'it would be hard not to hit' Pelosi

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 2:00 pm

McCarthy jokes it'll be hard not to 'hit' Pelosi with gavel if he is Speaker

Quote:
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) joked over the weekend that it would be hard for him not to hit Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calf.) with a gavel if the GOP wins control of the lower chamber in next year's midterm elections.

At a dinner on Saturday evening, members of Tennessee's Republican congressional delegation gave McCarthy an oversized gavel with the words "Fire Pelosi" on it.

"It will be hard not to hit her with it but I will bang it down," McCarthy reportedly joked, according to Washington Post reporter Michael Scherer.

Several Republican leaders from Tennessee, including Gov. Bill Lee and Sen. Marsha Blackburn, were reportedly in attendance at the $250-a-plate dinner event.

A war of words between the two party leaders escalated last week when McCarthy joined other Republicans in vehemently protesting a mask mandate the Capitol physician reimposed and Pelosi supported.

"Make no mistake — The threat of bringing masks back is not a decision based on science, but a decision conjured up by liberal government officials who want to continue to live in a perpetual pandemic state," McCarthy tweeted on Tuesday night.

"He's such a moron," Pelosi responded when asked about McCarthy.

McCarthy and others in Republican leadership also expressed outrage when Pelosi weeks earlier rejected two GOP representatives from the House commission investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

McCarthy's joke was swiftly condemned by a number of House Democrats.

Was it really a joke?

For argument's sake, I will assume it was. I have heard a lot worse jokes in my life. In another era it would be just a bad joke, and I know he said literally he would not hit her but in this political climate, it is incendiary.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 2:11 pm

He was great in 'The Invasion of the Body Snatchers'.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 8:26 am

Gee, Its not as if any politician on the other side ever said anything like this.