Proposed Long Island law to allow cops to sue protesters

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2021, 2:32 pm

Bill To Protect Nassau Police From Hate Crimes Sparks Controversy

Quote:
Police reform advocates are criticizing a Nassau County bill that would make police and other first responders a protected class under human rights laws. The bill, set for a vote on Monday, would allow police to bring civil lawsuits against anyone who harasses or menaces them as those terms are defined under New York penal law.

The bill was drafted by County Legislator Joshua Lafazan of Woodbury, who caucuses with Democrats, but is registered as unaffiliated with any political party. He described the intent of the bill as a way to protect police from a “widespread pattern of physical attacks and intimidation”.

“There is an urgent need to enhance the legal protections afforded to our law enforcement personnel,” Lafazan said during a committee meeting. “To make them whole in the face of injury suffered at the hands of rioters and other individuals bent on lawless behavior, and to deter and punish such destructive behavior in order to protect the human rights of all people.”

The bill ignited controversy as soon as it was brought up in a closed-door caucus meeting, and again on Nassau’s legislative floor. Legislator Siela Bynoe, a Democrat from Westbury, said she was concerned protesters angry at police misconduct could be sued.

“We're talking about a civil case,” Bynoe said. “They have to pay to have a defense attorney act in their interest. And that can be a significant burden.”

The bill has divided Democrats, but is now being championed by the Republican majority who pushed the bill to the full legislature for vote.

A coalition of police reform and LGBTQ advocates said the bill is unconstitutional and will lead to a police state. They called any elected official who remains silent on it a “coward” and bowing to the “political and financial pressure” of the police unions.

FYI Nassau is one of two counties on Long Island

I do think BLM is unfairly smaering all cops as either racist themselves or enabling "systematic racism". That said this is unnecessary trolling that makes the case for BLM. What rioters? After George Floyd's murder there were numerous protests, not most of them, all of them peaceful here. While I will not agree with him much politically the Long Island BLM leader Terrel Tuosto seems to be a class act. He calls his organization "Long Island Peaceful Protest". At any sign of trouble(usually, residents using the N_Word or trying to start a fight) his people quickly broke it up. At the time the Police Commissioner kept on bragging about how they were working together. A couple of the protests went by my corner, at that time things were tense, my neighborhood could easily have been like hundreds of others in America with stores burnt and looted but that did not happen presumably because of a lot of hard work and restraint on both sides. And this is the thanks they get.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 3:12 am

Nassau County Legislature Passes Controversial Bill Allowing Police To Sue Protesters

Quote:
Lawmakers in Nassau County passed a controversial bill Monday that allows police to sue protesters in certain cases.

As CBS2’s Jennifer McLogan reported, the measure to protect Nassau Police from hate crimes is sparking controversy.

This bill is a clear act of retaliation against Black Lives Matter,” said civil rights attorney Frederick Brewington.

The bill passed by a vote of 12 to 6, with one lawmaker absent.

In a statement after the vote, Nassau County Executive Laura Curran said:

I’m proud of the dedicated first responders who’ve made Nassau the safest County in America, and I will continue to stand against defunding the police. My Administration is committed to protecting the brave men and women of law enforcement who keep us safe. There were many speakers today who questioned this legislation. Now that it has been passed by the Legislature, I will be making an inquiry to the Attorney General’s Office to review and provide some advice.

The penalty for discriminating against a cop would be up to $25,000 per violation, $50, 000 if it occurs when participating in a riot. Officers could seek triple the usual allowable civil penalties.

“There were police officers with cameras videotaping protestors. Very chilling to our first amendment rights,” said Valley Stream homeowner Irene Ippolito.

Legislator Josh Lafazan of Woodbury described the intent of his bill as a way to protect police from a widespread pattern of physical attacks and intimidation, but would not speak to the capacity" crowd.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman