Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 9:07 am

Chris Chan's arrest on an incest charge revitalized a genre of YouTube videos chronicling the 'Sonichu' creator's life

Quote:
Christine Weston Chandler, the internet personality known as Chris Chan who was recently arrested on an incest charge, has been called "the most documented person" in internet history.

Trolls have spent years archiving thousands of her emails, calls, and diary entries on Wikis. The harassment campaign reached its peak between 2008 and 2011 when complicated storylines emerged where trolls would pretend to be romantic rivals and steal the fake girlfriends away, causing Chandler to post response videos on YouTube.

This massive wealth of information led to an entire YouTube subgenre of videos about Chandler and her life. Fredrik Knudsen, who has one million subscribers, posted a 20-minute "down the rabbit hole" video about Chandler in 2016 that pulled in over 4.4 million views.

There are thousands of videos about Chandler on YouTube, ranging from "iceberg" videos analyzing rumors to hourlong breakdowns of the "Sonichu" comic-book character that Chandler created and first became known for.

Chandler was charged with one count of incest on Sunday after a leaked audio recording alleged she had sex with her 79-year-old mother. In the days that followed, dozens of videos with hundreds of thousands of views popped up on YouTube while the news also spread to other platforms. On TikTok, the hashtag "#ChrisChan" has pulled in over 30 million views, and her name had over 200,000 Twitter impressions while trending on the platform in the last week.

But new creators will undoubtedly have to wrestle with the moral dilemma of imbibing in the views they'll mine from Chandler's own misery and alleged misdeeds.

Geno Samuel, who made a 59-part documentary about Chandler on a YouTube channel where he has over 140,000 subscribers, told Insider that he won't be continuing the project out of concern that it would be "advantageous and distasteful."

Samuel's "Chris Chan: A Comprehensive History" is considered the most thorough YouTube series about Chandler, analyzing the creator's life from her early days struggling in school and through the trolls who accosted her online for years, though the series only spans Chandler's life through 2017.

"Because of the amount of content she produced and information that she divulged herself or was taken from her, she has a significant number of followers and observers who remain interested in every little public thing she does," Samuel told Insider.

amuel said he thought it would be "beneficial" to create a video series with the information catalogued on the CWCki, a Wiki dedicated to Chandler that has over 2,000 pages of archived content. The site takes an aggressive tone against Chandler, often belittling and insulting her. Samuel said he wanted to create an "unbiased" look at the information saved.

Since starting the project two years ago, Samuel has brought in 30 million views and archived over 90 gigabytes of videos, images, and texts, he said

His channel has gained over 9,000 subscribers in the past week since Chandler's incest allegations came to light, according to the social media analytics website SocialBlade.

At the behest of trolls, she once shared a 2004 intake survey claiming she was "was diagnosed with autism around age five or six." In 2009, she created an "autism tutorial" using the "Little Big Planet" video game and called herself "a high-functioning autistic artist."

The most hardcore "christorians" — Chris Chan historians — often try to justify the schadenfreude of making fun of Chandler, especially in relation to her autism diagnosis, by referencing her past online controversies.

In the past, Chandler used an anti-gay slur, though she has since changed her stance and came out as trans in 2016. Trolling schemes Chandler fell for led to her posting videos where she sang in blackface.

Chandler critics also note that she has in the past asked for donations, including in 2016 asking for help affording her mother's medication, before being accused of spending money on toys and Lego products.

I don’t get it.

What is it about this person that generates such intense interest and feelings? The person interviewed made a 59 part documentary about her. 59 parts?, WTF.

Chan is far from the only person who has written, dumb things, bigoted things. Online you get an period of intense interest and that lasts until the next target appears. Chan obsession has been going on since at least 2004. Of note the reaction to her is the opposite of the current trend, she is obsessed over, not canceled.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 12:09 pm

No one deserves all those as*holes on their shoulder 24/7, I'm not surprised he acts out sometimes.
The law should have intervened on his side years ago, before anything like this "allegedly" happened.

TheRedPedant93
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2021, 3:45 pm

Part of the reasoning behind the online collective engrossment with Chris Chan (which ineluctably led to his comprehensive documentation) for over two decades is mainly driven by his constructed profile (I will hypothetically elaborate the multifarious factors that shaped this up) and only partially down to cyber trolls (I have witnessed this on a YT documentary and it is highly disconcerting so I’m not condoning it) and whatnot, which has significantly evolved over the years due to the technocratic metamorphization of social media, adoption of alternative lifestyles and society’s incremental obsession with collective identity.

The case of Chris Chan’s profile is unparalleled to amateur (from unqualified high school drop outs to undergraduate students such as myself) researchers studying his documentation, but cannot be legally and objectively (maybe until now) so in the clinical psychological profession because such a profile is likely only be intensely scrutinized as a case study if the maladaptive behaviours presented are symptomatic of a clinically diagnosable mental illness or a particular non-misdemeanor crime where the subject’s free will can be legally and morally infringed. Now that the unfathomable truth (which even professional researchers or some members of a “lolcow” forum never foresaw) has been unveiled about Chris Chan’s suppressed closet skeletons, there is now the chance for professional researchers to formulate a longitudinal case report on his clinical sociopsychological history (while serving a prison sentence), but plenty of people (other than Geno Samuel who is discontinuing for reasons specified in the Insider article) will have written a pinnacle self-report in their private lives to close the book on the Christory saga years prior anyway.

Based on my own hypothetical “amateur research” a few years ago (anyone is welcome to challenge it as always – I’m not a behavioural psychologist), I believe Chris Chan developed a plethora of severe mental and psychosocial dysfunctions (peripheral to cognitive and intellectual ability) that were conspicuously ascribed from a bizarrely convoluted system of over-lenient and dysfunctional upbringing styles (due to the intrinsic nature & psychosocial capacity of Chris’s parents) driven from his parents, such as a lack of adaptive behavioural skills (or other independent intervention skills e.g. socio-behavioural) taught that is age pertinent to the given developmental trajectories of HFA/AS people, general parental neglectance, styles that would be construed as a mixture of helicopter and overprotective parenting simultaneously, and other general psychosocial factors intertwined with the socioeconomic factors that the household was closely aligned with. All of which collectively interact to create the very thing Chris has morphed into.

In this case on top of the problems listed, he exhibits an extreme form of Peter Pan Syndrome; an unexplained heterodox delusional psychosis (possibly not rectifiable), a clinical personality dysfunction involving both Histrionic and Dependent aspects (he experiences a juxtaposition of a fervent and delusional motive of attention seeking (conveniently on online forums or social media), and at the same time a pervasive reluctance to self-improve on adaptive and reliance skills (other than being able to drive and uphold a driver’s license of-course), a substantial degree of socioemotional dysfunction (mental capacity of a young preadolescent child at a chronological and physical age of 39, considerably well below that expected for HFA/AS people who typically have a mental age that is two thirds of their chronological and physical age on average), and lastly, behaviours suggestive of extreme egocentricity, self-dramatized and melodramatic fulfilment and extreme naiveite and gullibility (there is a highly depressing and perturbing video of himself with his parents in a 2004 Christmas video believing thee “Santa” is real and expressing himself in actual baby talk, it is just beyond surreal). All of the factors I've mentioned may sufficiently explain why Chris Chan is believed to be lower functioning by other HFA's/Aspies who rightfully disassociate his perturbing case from the "average" autistic in spite of unaffected intelligence, his ability to graduate at college with a degree (which he did), and his ability to drive and uphold a license.

His never-ending attention seeking and gullibility goes into transcendental dimensions when he came up with this love quest adventure, possibly as a borderline self-misandryist retaliation against “normal” and stable men who “stole” all the women he failed to form relationships with, and using his autism as the primary scapegoat and nothing else (I believe his involuntary celibacy were pre-determined by all the mental and psychosocial problems brought about by his parents, his autism is a blatant red herring). I presume this was the reason why he identified as “transgender” and transitioned into a woman so that in doing so would build her social competence to interact more easily with lesbian women in order to fulfil her quest (I think most people who have studied this Chris believe this theory, although some believe he was tricked into doing so) and justify her suspected misandry.

In spite of the type of an unparalleled case profile that Chris has been shaped up by her parents, I myself never envisaged she would perform one of the most heinous and infidelious sins that would penultimately self-destruct CWCville and bring such a documented case to what his followers and researchers would view as an anti-climax. I guess this incident just unequivocally proves that there is absolutely nothing else to obsessively theorize or illustrate about someone who is now proven to be a total and morally depraved loser. This is the last time I will ever mention anything about Chris, but I would expect reports in the foreseeable years regarding her status in criminological research for a clinical psychosocial case study so that the beyond gut-wrenching underpinnings of such a mind can be researched and explained…if at all.

Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 1 out of 200
Alexithymia Questionnaire: 166/185 AQ: 49/50 EQ: 9/80

Last edited by TheRedPedant93 on 07 Aug 2021, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 4:22 pm

TheRedPedant93 wrote:
tl;dq

I don't think autism represents the red herring as you describe it, even if I think you're right about the additional stuff.

I believe autism is fundamentally relevant for how it ties all the other things together. Without autism the attention seeking behaviour might be expressed differently, without autism he'd be more likely to have a broader social circle and be able to recognize harmful patterns in his home life, etc.

I feel like in a lot of ways trying to dissect exactly what caused this outcome is like going over a very complicated autopsy report. There's a bunch of factors in play and many of them contribute to each other, sometimes with a positive feedback loop effect.

The different failures in parenting contribute to the development of the attention-seeking traits, poor parenting and ASD contribute to failures to understand social norms or how to behave in public, leading to social rejection which further hampers those skills from developing.

Disconnecting from reality in various ways becomes a coping mechanism for dealing with these failures and rejections.

Kinda like Darth Vader, Chris Chan didn't end up as Chris Chan alone. Lots of failures and toxic behaviour by others contributed as well. It's pretty sad all around.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 12:34 pm

I've questioned if Chris/Christine is actually trans. Also this person wasn't a nice person anyway so it makes it difficult for me to feel sorry for this person. They were a mysogynist, ableist against aspies, homophobic, racist. All these things make me not have sympathy for them. Plus they are an attention whore too and it's been frustrating seeing people feed this person and I have seen Chris as a troll as well.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 1:39 pm

Slightly off topic, I have no idea who this muppet is but anyone who does incest deserves to rot in prison forever so good riddance. He just shames the autistic communities anyway.

This whole incest thing is disgusting and it still goes on today with forced marriages and the kids they have end up having severe disabilities, it really f*****g pisses me off to no end.

Big E
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2021, 9:20 pm

Good f*****g Riddance

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 9:26 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I've questioned if Chris/Christine is actually trans.

On what basis? I'd be very careful trying to invalidate stranger's identities, even if they're horrible people.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 10:27 am

funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

On what basis? I'd be very careful trying to invalidate stranger's identities, even if they're horrible people.

The way this person has treated women and then all of a sudden this person says they are trans. Did they decide to become a woman because of misogny?

I don't see this as any different when people question if someone is on the spectrum when they commit a crime and they use autism to excuse it. There really are narcissists that pretend to be autistic to justify their behavior and even someone on the Dr. Phil show tried to pull that stunt to excuse his predadory behavior and Dr. Phil called him out on it and another doctor. He claimed to be diagnosed at age 13 but the doctor said he looked at his medical history and saw no report about him having that diagnoses and no record of it being suspected from teachers and his parents. So there is a reason why people are skeptical when someone claims to be autistic after they do a crime or do a sex crime on a woman or on a child or do something that is bordering on pedophilia.

So why can't there be people out there pretending to be trans? Yes TERFS will use those people to justify their bigotry on trans people and pretend they are all like that. They will use Jessica Yaniv as a poster child for their agenda.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 10:37 am

Also given how sick and deluded Chris/Christine is, I wouldn't be surprised if them saying they are a woman is part of it too.

If a schizophrenic always believed they are different things and then one day they started to say they were a woman, I would be skeptical too and wonder if them saying they are actually a woman is also part of their schizophrenia. This is where I am coming from with my opinion about if this person is actually trans or not.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 10:47 am

League_Girl wrote:
Also given how sick and deluded Chris/Christine is, I wouldn't be surprised if them saying they are a woman is part of it too.

If a schizophrenic always believed they are different things and then one day they started to say they were a woman, I would be skeptical too and wonder if them saying they are actually a woman is also part of their schizophrenia. This is where I am coming from with my opinion about if this person is actually trans or not.

So you're saying that...(a) he is not trans, but (b) he is not lying about being trans, it's that (c) he is deluded (like a schizo), about being trans?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 11:20 am

naturalplastic wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

So you're saying that...(a) he is not trans, but (b) he is not lying about being trans, it's that (c) he is deluded (like a schizo), about being trans?

I am saying that Chris saying he is a woman and changing his name to Christine could also be part of his illness than actually having a gender issue. Anyone who knows about Chris and knows about past behavior this person has done would understand what I am saying here than jumping to the TERF assumption and transphobia assumption and not assume this is an attack on the trans community.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 12:02 pm

League_Girl wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

The way this person has treated women and then all of a sudden this person says they are trans. Did they decide to become a woman because of misogny?

I don't see this as any different when people question if someone is on the spectrum when they commit a crime and they use autism to excuse it. There really are narcissists that pretend to be autistic to justify their behavior and even someone on the Dr. Phil show tried to pull that stunt to excuse his predadory behavior and Dr. Phil called him out on it and another doctor. He claimed to be diagnosed at age 13 but the doctor said he looked at his medical history and saw no report about him having that diagnoses and no record of it being suspected from teachers and his parents. So there is a reason why people are skeptical when someone claims to be autistic after they do a crime or do a sex crime on a woman or on a child or do something that is bordering on pedophilia.

So why can't there be people out there pretending to be trans? Yes TERFS will use those people to justify their bigotry on trans people and pretend they are all like that. They will use Jessica Yaniv as a poster child for their agenda.

The person in question is f****d up but that doesn't mean they're faking things.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 12:14 pm

Even if someone has done crappy things and is mentally ill, I just don't feel like I can personally decide whether they're "actually" trans or not. As a trans person I'm not threatened by her identifying as such, and a lot of trans people I've seen talk about her respect her pronouns and identity, even if they are unsure about the validity of it and dislike her as a person. People do crappy things and have their own issues, and "real" trans people are not exempt from that and those things do not exempt them from being "real".

I can see how it's easy for cis people who do not experience scrutiny about their gender identity to pick apart someone elses identity if they see something "wrong" with them, but most trans people accept the fact that no one can truly "know" besides for the person being talked about and that it's unacceptable to debate the legitimacy of their gender issues.

This is the only thing I'm going to say about this since IMO this is a slight derailment of the topic, the thread is about her committing incest and not the validity of her identity, but I thought some input from another trans person could be useful.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 12:19 pm

Yes I understand, people have been murdered for being trans or for their gender identity while no one has ever been murdered for lying about being autistic or for being self diagnosed, etc. So this is an opinion I often keep to myself.

Chris or Christine does not need to be murdered for this nor harassed for their gender identity.

Real_Avillemedia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2021, 12:53 pm

domineekee wrote:
No one deserves all those as*holes on their shoulder 24/7, I'm not surprised he acts out sometimes.

There are rumours that the recently discovered troll group planned to manipulate Chris into committing suicide.