Are sex offender laws too punitive and draconian?

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 4:32 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So get Congress to change the laws to exempt consensual acts and public urination from the list of sex offenses.  Simple, right?
Easier said than done, still causes an undue burden for people until the problem is resolved.  So no, it's not actually as simple as you state.
Of course it is not.  I was being sarcastic; but at least I was proposing a solution instead of arguing and complaining about the current situation.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 4:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So get Congress to change the laws to exempt consensual acts and public urination from the list of sex offenses.  Simple, right?
Easier said than done, still causes an undue burden for people until the problem is resolved.  So no, it's not actually as simple as you state.
Of course it is not.  I was being sarcastic; but at least I was proposing a solution instead of arguing and complaining about the current situation.

For issues like this it's often very difficult to achieve change away from draconian policies because it's much easier to scare people into a temporary coalition against 'the perverts' than it is to get people to understand that the policies they supported harm others with little benefit.

People disagree on the degree of reform and on the specifics of how to achieve it.

Sometimes discussions where no specific proposal is ever made can still benefit an issue by at least driving awareness of the other side even existing. You need to get enough people emotionally invested enough to care before you can build a coalition to advance a more specific agenda.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 4:47 pm

At least in the USA, many states and municipalities do in fact have laws on the books that cover more instances than simply "over 18 / under 18". Typically, consensual sex between someone above 16 years of age, with someone under 21 years of age, and barring any factors of coercion or power imbalance, is legal, these days, with individuals over 21 restricted to other individuals over 18. So instances of 2 crazy kids having a night of whoopee, freely and willingly, will generally not end in handcuffs just cos one of them was 19 while the other was 17. I can understand why this wouldn't be widely publicized.

Public urination is a tricky one, cos it's not just about exposure, it's also about sanitation. Often times it's less about men waving their tallywhackers about, and more the complaint that there's piss everywhere.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 4:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:

The point of the conversation is to discuss whether the laws surrounding sex offenders are completely fair. We already KNOW that it wouldn't be easy to change them.

Your original position was that there's no problem with the laws. Sheesh, you really love to cover your butt.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 5:24 pm

Public urination gets a ticket in NY State…and is not even a crime. It’s like a traffic ticket.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 9:02 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Public urination gets a ticket in NY State…and is not even a crime. It’s like a traffic ticket.

Same here as far as I know. Or at least, when I was still working at the local police station and feeding speed tickets to the system, there were occasionally one or two for public urinating.