Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2021, 8:41 am

In the hopes that someone will giggle...

I just saw an advertisement (really) that headlined, "Erectile Dysfunction got you down?"

Umm, well...that kind of IS the definition...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 8:47 am

Funny.

How about, "Are you itching to cure your yeast infection?"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 10:01 am

Back in the past, there was a Polish Aviomarin (used to treat nausea, vomiting and dizziness in travel sickness) commercial that said: "on od pawia cię wybawia" which is translated as "it saves you from the pecock" :D It's very funny for my compatriots because "paw" - "a peacock" is slang for vomiting; when you "let the peacock out", it means you vomit :D There were billboards depicting a cartoon peacock (visibly scared and freaking out) under this slogan.

Another funny Polish slang expression for vomiting is in turn embroiding :D

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 2:54 pm

Are you having trouble hearing? You might have hearing loss.

Do your knees hurt when you bend them? You might be suffering from knee pain.

Plus the frequent “Do not take (medication name) if you are allergic to (medication name).”

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 3:38 pm

If you or a loved one experiences any of these symptoms -- amnesia, black tongue, bleeding, blindness, brothel sprouts, bruising, chills, confusion, constipation, cooties, cottonmouth, cranial vaccuosis, dark skin, deafness, diarrhea, difficulty urinating, disco fever, dizziness, double vision, drowsiness, dry mouth, erotic urges, fatigue, fever, flatulence, fluttering eyelids, frequent urination, hallucinations, hangnail, headache, incarceritis, increased sweating, insomnia, invisibility, muscle weakness, narcissism, nausea, nervousness, pale skin, paralysis, precognition, priapism, rapid breathing or heartbeat, rash, restlessness, ridiculitis, shortness of breath, sleepiness, slowed breathing, slowed heartbeat, slurred speech, sore throat, split ends, stomach pain, stuxnet, swollen tongue, telepathy, tiredness, tremors, vomiting, or whinorrhea -- please discontinue this medication immediately and consult your physician.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2021, 5:53 pm

These are all great! As I read them though, I was reminded of a campaign in New York City many years ago in which advertisements were all over the subways. Anyway, it said, "Illiterate? Want help? Call 1-800-..."

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 6:12 pm

I once saw on medication that one of the side effects was death. It then said "If you experience any of these side effects stop taking the medication and consult your doctor immediately".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 6:19 pm

:lol:
Doc! I am dead! What do I do?

Those endless laundry lists of possible side effects they quickly whisper in those TV spots for perscription drugs in the US- always get laughable.

One drug's list of possible side effects included "a sudden urge to engage in risky behavior, like gambling, or bungee jumping". 8O

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 6:31 pm

I should have kept some of the packets I saw.

One a packet of nuts that had come from abroad. "Directions. Open packet. Eat nut".

And then there are the standard EU allergy safety instructions taken to the extreme.... Seen on a packet of salted peanuts "Caution. This packet may contain traces of nut".

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 6:41 pm

Or the alternatively-phrased “Side effects of this medication may include anaphylaxis, seizures, or even death. Some of these side effects may be serious.”

And one I’ve been hearing, “This medication may cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, which may be severe and can lead to dehydration. Some patients have reported weight loss.” I wonder why that might be :scratch:

And there are the ads I hear from legal companies, “if you or a loved one has been hurt or killed in a car accident” and similar. Good to know I can still sue if I’m dead :lol:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 7:49 pm

Saw a snap shot once (in a humor magazine) of a picnic table in a grassy public space with ...words in white paint boldly stenciled on to the top saying "NOT FOR USE AS A PICNIC TABLE".

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Aug 2021, 8:47 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Plus the frequent “Do not take (medication name) if you are allergic to (medication name).”
Whenever I hear or read that I wonder How is anybody supposed to know if they are allergic to a med unless they try it :?: I'd bet they say that to try & protect themselves from liability. What I find really ironic is when they list the side-effects of a med & the side-effects include the very things the med is supposed to treat. They do that with psych meds a lot like meds used to treat depression list depression as a side-effect. How can anything treat depression & cause depression as well :?: If the med treats depression while causing it at the same time the treating & causing would cancel each other out & the med would have no effect on the depression & leave patients exactly where they started the med so the med will not really treat depression at all & would instead just possibly cause side-effects & should of never been approved & used to treat depression in the 1st place. I just made myself all confused now :huh: & there is a loop running in my head :wall:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 9:16 pm

nick007 wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
Whenever I hear or read that I wonder How is anybody supposed to know if they are allergic to a med unless they try it :?: I'd bet they say that to try & protect themselves from liability. What I find really ironic is when they list the side-effects of a med & the side-effects include the very things the med is supposed to treat. They do that with psych meds a lot like meds used to treat depression list depression as a side-effect. How can anything treat depression & cause depression as well :?: If the med treats depression while causing it at the same time the treating & causing would cancel each other out & the med would have no effect on the depression & leave patients exactly where they started the med so the med will not really treat depression at all & would instead just possibly cause side-effects & should of never been approved & used to treat depression in the 1st place. I just made myself all confused now :huh: & there is a loop running in my head :wall:

Yeah, a lot of antidepressants have the disclaimer that they can increase depression and suicidal thoughts in teens and young adults, I also find this confusing. I would guess that in some way or another it affects different people in different ways. Maybe it helps most people who take it but worsens things in a few others, enough that they’re required to mention that it’s a possibility? Probably is something that’s different in some way after the brain has fully finished developing, if it’s only in teens and young adults. I’d say it might affect the development of the brain in some way, but probably not if it happens in a relatively short period of time. Now I’m curious enough as to the specifics that I’m going to look that up and see if there’s an explanation that I understand.

I’ve heard ads for an asthma medication that increases the risk of asthma-related death. That one perplexes me, too. They don’t mention any subset of people on that one (like teens/young adults with the antidepressants), and if there isn’t any indicator as to who would most likely be adversely affected and it’s not a small enough number to not have to mention that, seems like an awfully big chance to me.

I didn’t do much biochemistry or any medicine, but I did major in regular biology in college, it’s probably obvious here that I have some science background :lol: But not enough to offer more than educated guesses.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Aug 2021, 9:32 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
Yeah, a lot of antidepressants have the disclaimer that they can increase depression and suicidal thoughts in teens and young adults, I also find this confusing. I would guess that in some way or another it affects different people in different ways. Maybe it helps most people who take it but worsens things in a few others, enough that they’re required to mention that it’s a possibility? Probably is something that’s different in some way after the brain has fully finished developing, if it’s only in teens and young adults. I’d say it might affect the development of the brain in some way, but probably not if it happens in a relatively short period of time. Now I’m curious enough as to the specifics that I’m going to look that up and see if there’s an explanation that I understand.

I’ve heard ads for an asthma medication that increases the risk of asthma-related death. That one perplexes me, too. They don’t mention any subset of people on that one (like teens/young adults with the antidepressants), and if there isn’t any indicator as to who would most likely be adversely affected and it’s not a small enough number to not have to mention that, seems like an awfully big chance to me.

I didn’t do much biochemistry or any medicine, but I did major in regular biology in college, it’s probably obvious here that I have some science background :lol: But not enough to offer more than educated guesses.
I've researched psych meds a bit in order to help guide my docs & psychs with my treatment, I know my underlying issues better than they do. It is not just kids & teens who can be affected by those antidepressant side-effects. My girlfriend is very sensitive to psych meds & some have made her depression & anxiety worse. People can potentially have paradoxical reactions to LOTS of different types of meds. I don't really understand why though. I only passed Biology 1 because the teacher curved my grade. The only other two sciences I took in high-school was Earth Science & Environmental Science & Environmental very luckily replaced Earth the year I needed to take my 3rd science cuz I know I woulda majorly struggled with the other sciences. I did OK in Earth & Environmental. I'd be interested in reading your educated guesses if you do the research & understand enough to make a post about it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 9:53 pm

nick007 wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

I've researched psych meds a bit in order to help guide my docs & psychs with my treatment, I know my underlying issues better than they do. It is not just kids & teens who can be affected by those antidepressant side-effects. My girlfriend is very sensitive to psych meds & some have made her depression & anxiety worse. People can potentially have paradoxical reactions to LOTS of different types of meds. I don't really understand why though. I only passed Biology 1 because the teacher curved my grade. The only other two sciences I took in high-school was Earth Science & Environmental Science & Environmental very luckily replaced Earth the year I needed to take my 3rd science cuz I know I woulda majorly struggled with the other sciences. I did OK in Earth & Environmental. I'd be interested in reading your educated guesses if you do the research & understand enough to make a post about it.

I did not mean to imply that I think I have more knowledge, qualification, education, or anything, I just seemed to myself to come across as a bit overly analytical and was kind of teasing myself, did not mean to emphasize the “educated” part at all, the emphasis was intended to be more on “guesses.” I’m sorry if it came across that way. It usually doesn’t even occur to me that mentioning that might come off as haughty or anything, usually I’m just kind of saying “lol, stereotypical scientific mind” of myself. I included that I didn’t have directly relevant education meaning to emphasize that I don’t have any expertise.

That was exactly what I was trying to get at, is that the same medication can affect different people differently, and what lessens depression in one person might increase it in others, and that might be why they’re required to give the warning. I’m guessing that the proportion of such is what allows it to be marketed as a treatment while still having the possibility of making it worse.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 8:16 am

yes. Medicines are a paradoxical. Anti psychotic medicines have lists of possible side effects that include "may cause psychosis". Anti depressants ....."depression", and so on. They give amphetamines (that work as "uppers"- stimulants for adults) to hyperactive children to calm them down.