Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2021, 8:24 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:

Yeah, a lot of antidepressants have the disclaimer that they can increase depression and suicidal thoughts in teens and young adults, I also find this confusing. I would guess that in some way or another it affects different people in different ways.

For me, when I was suffering from major depressive disorder, I was so depressed that literally everything was too much of a bother, requiring too much effort - including suicide. Then, when I started an anti-depressants that had an effect...I suddenly started feeling enough motivation that suicide started looking like a real possibility. So, again for me, the fact that I had become suicidal after taking anti-depressants was actually a step in the right direction - it just wasn't far enough in the right direction.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Aug 2021, 1:05 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I did not mean to imply that I think I have more knowledge, qualification, education, or anything, I just seemed to myself to come across as a bit overly analytical and was kind of teasing myself, did not mean to emphasize the “educated” part at all, the emphasis was intended to be more on “guesses.” I’m sorry if it came across that way. It usually doesn’t even occur to me that mentioning that might come off as haughty or anything, usually I’m just kind of saying “lol, stereotypical scientific mind” of myself. I included that I didn’t have directly relevant education meaning to emphasize that I don’t have any expertise.

That was exactly what I was trying to get at, is that the same medication can affect different people differently, and what lessens depression in one person might increase it in others, and that might be why they’re required to give the warning. I’m guessing that the proportion of such is what allows it to be marketed as a treatment while still having the possibility of making it worse.
It's fine. I feel like I play guessing games with lots of medical & psych stuff myself & I wonder if I could be a little better at it if I had a more scientific mind. It really seems like the docs & psychs don't really know what they are doing either though they believe that they do & they hate being contradicted or having anything questioned. Maybe it's better that I don't have that kinda background because I readily admit that I don't know for sure & I encourage people to do their own research & use their own judgement & knowledge about themselves & their experiences. I may talk about meds a bit(or possibly a lot at times) on this forum but what I suggest is just meant to give people jumping off points for doing research & to talk to their docs & psychs about. I'd really hate to steer anybody wrong.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition