Have you ever had 3rd party mediation with an NT?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 7:53 pm

By "third party mediation", I mean like a counselor, or court officer, or authority of some sort... and I'm thinking specifically in adulthood, not a principals office situation or what-have-you.

And if so - how did you find it?
Since the mediating individual is more likely than not to be NT, did you find they had a certain bias towards their "own kind", or did they remain fair and impartial?
I imagine the complaint / disagreement was something to the effect of you not reading between the lines or understanding their point of view, and your desire was that this person be more assertive in their communication.
At least, given my anecdotal experience, that was more or less the crux of the matter. And guess what, the mediator actually told the NT that they really needed to be more upfront with certain things; she even said "given what you told me, even *I* wouldn't picked that up" - but granted, the fallacy here is the mediator wasn't there to observe the non-verbal cues :roll:

Although, a couple of times I took people to small claims court for smaller torts against me, but had nothing to do with my Aspie-ness - although these business-people came off as "very NT" to the mediator, being overly emotional as a manipulative ruse, and one of them (I could tell) was just telling the deputy judge what he wanted to hear. In one situation, I got a partial settlement; in the other, I let it drop.

I can't say I ever dealt with a situation where it was me giving my side of a story to a police officer, and then he/she interviewed the neurotypical(s) in the situation - maybe some of you have had that situation - and I'm guessing it was where you were the one who was wronged (and reported that wrong), rather than vice-versa. 8O :x
I can still remember reading a web page by an Asperger activist back in the early 2000s who said that if the police get involved when there are five other NTs, then the word of the five NTs will prevail over the Aspie; especially since they will easily be able to superficially bond with the cop and convince him that you're mentally ill and "not all there", like you're a schizophrenic who hallucinated the wrongdoing, look at his spaced-out facial expression and listen to his mad ravings...etc... etc. :evil:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2021, 9:56 pm

I have learned to ask for friendly advice before talking to the Police about anything. I went to report an assault, and the cop's attitude changed completely when his query revealed that it was the Mayor who had sent me. The case went to mediation. The culprit spent $7k on legal advice, but was required to do something by the mediator. The mediator thought I was being very reasonable. The culprit never did fulfil his sentence. In a similar situation, I'd tell the mediator to finish my first case before starting another.