Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 12:02 pm

chris1989 wrote:
It freaks me out and doesn't help even more when some experts have said that a new variant could kill 1 in 3 people (even though it doesn't exist yet) and be as deadly as MERS with a fatality rate of 35%. I read there were outbreaks in 2012, 2015 and 2018 of MERS in South Korea and Saudi Arabia but I'm sure I found out somewhere that very deadly viruses like MERS and SARS with high fatality rates are unable to spread to so many people. I can't quite remember what the reason for it is though.

I hope not, as my anxiety can't take an even worse pandemic. Also the vaccines would be futile, because each time they come up with new vaccines for each variant there'll be a new even deadlier variant and there'll be no end to it all. I don't want to live the rest of my life living in fear and doing everything online and never being allowed out to see my family. Might as well be dead. :cry:

Blueberry_Muffin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2021, 12:19 pm

I'm getting annoyed with mainstream media because they are exaggerating the effects of the virus. The vaccine doesn't mean 100% immunity, but they're making it seem like it's doing nothing which is not true at all. 90-98% infected within the past month weren't vaccinated, and people who were vaccinated who contracted the virus were mainly asymptomatic.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 3:33 pm

Joe90 wrote:
chris1989 wrote:
It freaks me out and doesn't help even more when some experts have said that a new variant could kill 1 in 3 people (even though it doesn't exist yet) and be as deadly as MERS with a fatality rate of 35%. I read there were outbreaks in 2012, 2015 and 2018 of MERS in South Korea and Saudi Arabia but I'm sure I found out somewhere that very deadly viruses like MERS and SARS with high fatality rates are unable to spread to so many people. I can't quite remember what the reason for it is though.

I hope not, as my anxiety can't take an even worse pandemic. Also the vaccines would be futile, because each time they come up with new vaccines for each variant there'll be a new even deadlier variant and there'll be no end to it all. I don't want to live the rest of my life living in fear and doing everything online and never being allowed out to see my family. Might as well be dead. :cry:

We'll nor do I. I don't want to keep feeling worried about a virus out there, before all this, I was going out in winter to town and stuff knowing you could get flu from someone but it hardly worried me.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 1:11 am

chris1989 wrote:
We'll nor do I. I don't want to keep feeling worried about a virus out there, before all this, I was going out in winter to town and stuff knowing you could get flu from someone but it hardly worried me.

One positive to all of this: hopefully when this is all over, wearing masks when you're sick will become more normalized, like in Japan.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Aug 2021, 1:24 am

Joe90 wrote:
I suppose there are a small group of people with autoimmune diseases or whatever it is that can't have vaccines otherwise they'll die, so the whole world has to stop just for those people until there's a vaccine suitable for people with those immune system conditions. God knows what people with diseases that weaken the immune system to every virus out there carried on even before COVID existed. But society didn't shut down for those people.
I think it would be better for the governments in the developed countries to start focusing on giving out oxygen masks & portable oxygen tanks. It would be more effective than the vaccines at stopping the spread & it would help protect people from other viruses & also from air pollutants. It would be aLOT easier for me to breath with an oxygen mask than with a regular face mask that makes me feel like I'm suffocating from breathing in the CO2 that I just breathed out.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 8:51 am

Less pessimistic than that Joe, happy to say, in that after a critical fraction of a population has achieved immunity, the combined immunity of every one impedes the spread of infection so much that an outbreak can't spread out of control.

Everyone who can who takes the vaccine collectively protect the small number who can't by this effect, called "Population immunity" or Herd Immunity.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 7:36 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
Less pessimistic than that Joe, happy to say, in that after a critical fraction of a population has achieved immunity, the combined immunity of every one impedes the spread of infection so much that an outbreak can't spread out of control.

Everyone who can who takes the vaccine collectively protect the small number who can't by this effect, called "Population immunity" or Herd Immunity.

Well that's what happened with all the other global diseases and viruses in the past, but with covid some people seem to think that this is going to change the world forever, despite having vaccinations. I don't know if it's because we live in a snowflake society these days or if there's some other conspiracy behind it such as turning the whole world into communism or something, like all the leaders of the world using covid as an excuse to control everybody or to enforce everybody to do everything online.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 7:40 pm

I hope so. :oops:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 10:07 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Well that's what happened with all the other global diseases and viruses in the past, but with covid some people seem to think that this is going to change the world forever, despite having vaccinations.

I would argue that even if Covid magically disappeared tomorrow, it would still have changed the world forever.
(well, maybe not forever...but at least until the next viral pandemic)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 10:41 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Well that's what happened with all the other global diseases and viruses in the past, but with covid some people seem to think that this is going to change the world forever, despite having vaccinations. I don't know if it's because we live in a snowflake society these days or if there's some other conspiracy behind it such as turning the whole world into communism or something, like all the leaders of the world using covid as an excuse to control everybody or to enforce everybody to do everything online.
Here in the US Trump used Covid as an excuse to try & prevent people from voting. His crony that he put in charge of the post-office before the 2020 election is still actively trying to destroy it in an attempt to restrict people from voting by mail & so more people would use UPS & FedEx to ship things. Trump accused China of bio-engineering & intentionally releasing the virus early on so people would blame the Chinese instead of Trump for dropping the ball & also so Americans would start hating on the Chinese Americans. Trump has been all about dividing the American people from the very beginning. If we are too busy fighting & hating on each other, there will be less focus on Trump for screwing up & we will be easier to control & manipulate. Trump also promised to have the vaccines by November even though Dr. Fauci & the CDC said it would take at least half a year longer for the vaccines to be developed & released. Trump wanted to rush the vaccines out before the 2020 election so he would get the credit & win re-election. I know your post was not about Trump, Joe & that this thread is about the vaccines but this virus has been used here in the US as a way for a desperate wannabe dictator to try & keep his power so yes Joe here in the US there has been a conspiracy behind Covid & the vaccines from the start.

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 9:33 am

I've heard that there have been scientists and experts here in the UK who suggest that there is no herd immunity threshold to this virus and that we have to live with it, we'll how come there is herd immunity thresholds for measles, chicken pox, mumps, rubella, and small pox ?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 9:35 am

chris1989 wrote:
I've heard that there have been scientists and experts here in the UK who suggest that there is no herd immunity threshold to this virus and that we have to live with it, we'll how come there is herd immunity thresholds for measles, chicken pox, mumps, rubella, and small pox ?
Links, please?

Or are you just trying to spread doubt and confusion all on your own?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 12:18 pm

One of my cousins was vaccinated & she ended up catching the virus recently. She may of been vaccinated early on because she's a teacher(I'm not sure when she was vaccinated) but she caught Covid during this summer because a friend she goes walking with who was also vaccinated ended up catching it. Her friend got sick 1st & tested positive before my cousin got sick. My cousin tested positive as well. My parents did not tell much much more details when I called em last night except about half my cousin's family has Covid right now but a lot of em were not vaccinated but my cousin got sick 1st so it seems like they very well could of caught Covid from her but who knows :shrug: