Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

timf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 1:52 pm

I would like to make connections with other Christians who also may have difficulty in church environments.

I have not found much value in the sermon / lecture format of most churches and see a questioning / discussion approach better suited to growth. As Christianity seems to be a diminishing practice and what is left seems a poor fit for inquiry, I was curious if there might be any others also seeking connection outside of traditional church systems.

I think there might be value in correspondence and it seems worth exploring the possibility. If one is reluctant to post a reply, a private message can be used. One need not have a high IQ, but I have found others often disinclined towards correspondence.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 2:37 pm

What IQ is considered high?

Also I have heard low IQ Christians preaching with such an anointing that no high IQ Christian could match so it is not based on IQ but on faith.

If one misses the faith aspect all one has left is IQ and one ends up relying on ones IQ instead of simple faith in God.

My IQ is above average but not into genius level, but I know enough to get by.

My experience has been that those with High IQ's need to let God take charge and not rely on their IQ too much because the simplicity of the Gospel does not rely on having a high IQ to grasp it.

I have been astounded by the odd church leader who's preaching has gone so far off the true Gospel message and while the guy saw me in shock at the crap he was preaching he suddenly realized how he had gone astray, and he then attempted to try and justify himself by quoting his qualifications and telling us why he is "Qualified" to preach... I had not said a single word! I watched him rely on his high IQ and he fell into his own trap.

Having a high IQ has a high responsibility. It is a blessing from God, but it must be used wizely and one must not get to feel that one is in some way superior to those with a low IQ.

God gives and God can take away.

I have seen God use the meekest lowliest pwople to carry his anointing forward which has left me in tears... It is so beautiful and wonderful to see. I have seen a man who can't read or write read the Bible as if he has always been able to read while under the Holy Spirits anointing. I have then without thinking given him leaflets of information and he looked at me and said "Why give me these? I can't read them!"... And then it hit me how powerful and amazingly wize God is to use those who the world considers low to keep the intelligent humble so that pride should not take root, and it is amazing to see how God works! How the miriacles flow under the Holy Spirits anointing!

It is not about intelligence. It is about being available.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 5:01 pm

You might want to look into the Quakers, formally known as the Religious Society of Friends. There are no ministers, no hierarchy, no sermons. Instead there are questions, called Queries. And thoughtful, prayerful discussions called worship sharing. And most Quakers are pretty high up there in the IQ department.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 12:48 am

Hi-IQ, Lutheran here!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Aug 2021, 4:16 pm

! Cornflake wrote:
Several off-topic posts arguing about religion have been removed.
Please keep to the topic and remember that this is the Social Skills and Making Friends forum, not PPR.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2021, 5:06 pm

timf wrote:
I would like to make connections with other Christians who also may have difficulty in church environments.

Though I'm quite certain that the question will be seen as superfluous, would you indulge me please, and define Christian?

timf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 6:59 am

The request to define a Christian is an interesting challenge. In the end, it is a self assessment to various criteria that different branches establish for themselves. One aspect of the difficulty of this task can be seen in the following joke;

Walking across a bridge one day, one man saw another man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So the first man ran over and said, "Stop! Don't do it!" "Why shouldn't I?" the second man said. The first man said, "Well, there's so much to live for!" "Like what?" the suicidal man said said. "Well, are you religious or atheist?" "Religious." "Me too! Are your Christian or Buddhist?" "Christian." "Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?" "Protestant." "Me too! Are your Episcopalian or Baptist?" "Baptist!" "Wow! Me too! Are your Baptist Church of God or Baptist Church of the Lord? "Baptist Church of God!" "Me too! Are your Original Baptist Church of God or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?" "Reformed Baptist Church of God!" "Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915?" "Reformed Baptist Church of God, Reformation of 1915!" The first man said "Die, heretic scum!" and pushed him off.

Most of the people that would call themselves “Christian” have come to see themselves as belonging to a particular franchise brand or denomination. These are often reluctant to associate with anyone outside that comfort zone. However, within each group there are those few who feel a stirring to question and seek out answers that may not be contained in a denominational doctrine package. Sometimes those who feel restless in denominational confines are those with a higher IQ.

Jesus said that those who were “of the truth” would hear his voice. We live in an age when how one feels is generally considered much more important than truth. Truth is often considered an enemy of feeling good. Those who feel a need to seek after truth even in the face of discomfort may also have a higher IQ that feeds a thirst to know and understand.

Most Christian practice today is defined by the requirement to accept a doctrinal package and sort of “park” in a denominational pew. To me this does not seem so much “wrong” as it is static and limiting. Since many of these Christians feel uncomfortable in questioning and delving deeper (what I would consider dynamic as opposed to static), I do not see that many of these would respond.

It was my hope to be able to connect with those who either saw themselves as Christians or were at least intellectually curious as to what such such correspondence might entail that a dynamic inquiry might be pursued. One can see this sort of enthusiastic and vital environment of inquiry with first or second year seminary students. Sadly, as time progresses, this enthusiasm for inquiry is replaced with an almost sullen guardianship of the fixed doctrinal position of their denomination.

The bible presents so many areas of inquiry that one would never be able to satisfy his curiosity. However, the process of inquiry can yield intellectually rewarding results. For example the, verse that says "blessed are the poor in spirit” makes it difficult to take at face value. However, if one understands that there are two Greek words for poor (one that means having to work for a living). The word used in this verse is for one who is destitute with no hope of change (no family or other connection). The word is made from the sound of one spitting (as if the poor needed even more to go wrong). Here the meaning can be taken to be “blessed are those who have become so distant from any other claim on their spirit that they can be fully devoted to God.”

This realm of Christian inquiry might seem of interest only to those whose intellect can open that door. It is a realm of less “right versus wrong” and more a realm of how one builds a case to support a thesis or what might be found to refute a supposition. There are those who enjoy such inquires and I was seeking to learn if any perused these forums.

If anyone has an interest, please send me a private message (PM). I can even send free bible software tools in case someone has an interest in inquiry but would prefer to inquire alone. I can send a DVD with the software that I know runs on windows XP.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 8:17 am

If you are looking to connect - My IQ is above the mean. Also my two son's and daughter - probably my wife as well.
You can PM me of you want more details.
I am sometimes blunt and sometimes verbose and sometimes timid when it comes to talking about my beliefs, but it is a topic I have given quite a bit of thought to.