Why a NT "Would benefit by hiring somebody neurodiverted?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 9:40 pm

Neurodivergence is so broad that giving a specific answer to this question is impossible. Autistic, ADHD, and other conditions have different characteristics, which lead to different kinds of skills. And there will be different skills among autistic people because autism is defined so heterogeneously.

rabo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2021, 4:53 am

Hi, starkid,
yes of course. But choose any condition you like and write about the advantages. About the disadvantages, there is enough information available. I want to collect some information about the advantages. ;)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 5:48 pm

rabo wrote:
Hi,
I would like to discuss the positive aspects of persons that are neurodiverse.

First, regarding terminology:

I've never seen the term "neurodiverted" before. I think you meant "neurodivergent"?

Regarding "persons that are neurodiverse": An individual person can be "neurodivergent," but not "neurodiverse." Only a group can be "neurodiverse," meaning composed of people who are neurologically different from each other. So, a workplace that knowingly hires neurodivergent people is a neurodiverse workplace.

Now to more substantive matters:

Regarding the "superpowers" of at least some (probably not all) people with ADHD, see 5 Superpowers of ADHD by Dr. Umesh Jain.

Regarding autistic people: It seems to me that many of the traits commonly listed as advantages of autistic people (detail-orientedness, etc.) would apply mostly to those of us without co-occurring ADHD.

Be that as it may, we all vary widely in our strengths and weaknesses. We tend to have odd combinations of ability and disability.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 15 Aug 2021, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 5:56 pm

Sight-lines.

Someone whose neurodivergent (key - highly observant as well) can be a good ace in the pocket in terms of being able to tell where group think of one sort or another has paved over either opportunities or risks. it's having someone on staff who can both think and see outside the box and be able to clarify when the emperor is sun-clad.

This sort of makes me wonder, Jim Rutt has presented himself as the brass-balled guy who whips organizations into shape who've either had misdirected culture or turned to fiefdoms and people in various department building castles and has made it clear that he'll fire people on the spot for playing politics and information-hording. I'd have to wonder if he's aimed for getting neurodiverse people in just as a bit of an immune system against BS taking control again.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2021, 2:35 am

they would beneift by having a loyal hard worker with attention to detail.

rabo

16 Aug 2021, 2:48 am

Thanks for all the new answers!

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2021, 2:41 am

rabo wrote:
StrayCat81 wrote:
The only reason I see is that ND person is most likely easier to scam and abuse, therefore, cheaper.

NO, NO, NO! That is not the kind of argument that I am interested in, sorry. I am talking about advantages. Being cheap is not an advantage. :(

The real question should be: Which kind of surrounding helps an ND person to develop his talents properly and what are the benefits of the society of such a diverted solution? Or in other words: In most industrialized societies we face a very strong monoculture of NTs. But as we know from biology monocultures are very bad biotopes. E.g. they need lots of insecticides to keep parasites out, whereas healthy ecosystems have all kinds of plants/ animals but need no chemistry to survive. . So why a monoculture of NTs should be better than a more diverted society?

employers such as big corporations like Starbucks,Apple,Facebook,Amazon,Microsoft, McDonalds and Walmart would benefit by being able to save on payroll and still have company loyalty among a group of hard workers.