Why a NT "Would benefit by hiring somebody neurodiverted?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rabo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Aug 2021, 2:45 pm

Hi,
I would like to discuss the positive aspects of persons that are neurodiverse. Therefore I would like the members of the forum to post their ideas on why somebody should hire a neurodiverse person.

What is your opinion? Yes, I know. Some autists can be very good programmers. ;) But besides that? Are there more positive things we can offer? Or do all of us only create problems? I do not think so, but I also do not know many arguments that show our positive sides and would like to know more about them.

Thanks for your answers!

Last edited by rabo on 04 Aug 2021, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 2:51 pm

"Should" makes it seem mandatory.  "Would benefit by" puts a positive spin on the question.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 3:22 pm

Attention to detail. We will get things done thoroughly.

rabo

04 Aug 2021, 3:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
"Should" makes it seem mandatory.  "Would benefit by" puts a positive spin on the question.

I changed it. ;) English is not my first language., sorry.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2021, 3:28 pm

The only reason I see is that ND person is most likely easier to scam and abuse, therefore, cheaper.

rabo

04 Aug 2021, 3:35 pm

StrayCat81 wrote:
The only reason I see is that ND person is most likely easier to scam and abuse, therefore, cheaper.

NO, NO, NO! That is not the kind of argument that I am interested in, sorry. I am talking about advantages. Being cheap is not an advantage. :(

The real question should be: Which kind of surrounding helps an ND person to develop his talents properly and what are the benefits of the society of such a diverted solution? Or in other words: In most industrialized societies we face a very strong monoculture of NTs. But as we know from biology monocultures are very bad biotopes. E.g. they need lots of insecticides to keep parasites out, whereas healthy ecosystems have all kinds of plants/ animals but need no chemistry to survive. . So why a monoculture of NTs should be better than a more diverted society?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 9:12 pm

Benefits on hiring an autistic person (this doesn't apply to all autistic people):-

Autistic people are more likely to be detail-oriented, which is a good skill in a lot of jobs

Autistic people are less likely to waste time standing around talking and gossiping and more inclined to complete their given tasks

Autistic people are more likely to be reliable if they like routine (however, they may not be as flexible as some employers like because of their need for sameness and routine)

Some autistic people can be perfectionists and like to perform their work thoroughly without cutting corners

Autistic people are more likely to be helpful and show concern for other's wellbeing, and less likely to get involved in workplace bullying or targeting

Despite having social difficulties, some autistic people can be advanced in performing a formal presentation or other things like that

Yep, autistic people aren't as hopeless as society thinks they are. I'm quite hopeless but that's just me, most autistic people aren't.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2021, 9:41 pm

rabo wrote:
But as we know from biology monocultures are very bad biotopes. E.g. they need lots of insecticides to keep parasites out, whereas healthy ecosystems have all kinds of plants/ animals but need no chemistry to survive. . So why a monoculture of NTs should be better than a more diverted society?

I don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty sure monocultures still give way better yield than 'healthy ecosystems'. There is just way more money in them. And since society prioritizes profits above anything else, therefore NT monocultures will be preferable?

rabo

05 Aug 2021, 2:55 am

StrayCat81 wrote:
...And since society prioritizes profits above anything else...

It is not the main topic in that thread, but nevertheless, that prioritization on money is probably a major problem in many fields. Of course, vast monocultures produce more profit for the individual farmer. But if you take the society as a whole, it is not so sure, if excessive monocultures make a lot of sense. If you add the since-effects to the calculation it looks differently. But in most cases, the costs of the side-effects are socialized.

But to come back to our topic: A more diverted society (with fewer and smaller monocultures as well) might be more healthy and would offer more place for neurodiverse persons. But going deeper into that is too complicated for this thread, where I only asked about the advantages of neurodiverse persons.

rabo

05 Aug 2021, 3:03 am

Thanks, Joe90 for your answer. That summary is exactly what I searched for. But what about other forms of Neurodiversion? People with ADD/ ADHD e. g. are know as
- creative
- sincere
- fast deciders in fields that need quick reactions

but also as
- chaotic
- desorganized

In both cases (AD(H)D and milder forms of autism) these people can do great jobs if they are in the right positions.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 4:20 am

There are no general benefits of hiring neurodivergent people.

There are benefits of hiring some individual neurodivergent people, for the same reasons that hiring individual non-neurodivergent people is beneficial: they're great at the job, they are loyal to the company, they get along well with co-workers, etc.

Neurodivergent people are individuals, just like everyone else: Some are good with some jobs, some are good with other types of jobs, some haven't found any suitable job.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:11 am

Frankly, my organization has benefited from my employment with them. I became very skilled at the particular tasks I was assigned.

I exhibited odd behaviors at times—but I was rather indispensable, so I wasn’t fired.

I’ve been at my job 40 straight years.

rabo

05 Aug 2021, 5:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Frankly, my organization has benefited from my employment with them. I became very skilled at the particular tasks I was assigned.

I exhibited odd behaviors at times—but I was rather indispensable, so I wasn’t fired.

I’ve been at my job 40 straight years.

Hi kraftiekortie,
that sounds interesting. You are Aspie? And which skills do you have that made you indispensable?
I am sure that (nearly) all kinds of people have skills that can be needed. The challenge is to find a proper niche.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:26 am

I’m more classic autistic than Aspie. I had delayed speech, and classic autistic symptoms.

My typing speed is my main “talent.” I do the work of three people. I’m thorough and accurate. I never call in sick. I don’t mind that my job is very monotonous and repetitive. Im a data entry operator.

My job is clerical. Not high paying. But I’m getting a pension that’s about equal to my final salary on a net basis.

rabo

05 Aug 2021, 5:29 am

Thank you!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:41 am

Many neurodivergent people are better at doing “grunt work” than neurotypical people. Especially that which requires no contact with the public. And little contact with coworkers.

Repetitive factory work is excellent for neurodivergent people. Stock work. Data entry. Yes: computer programming and coding. Fixing computers, especially when not required to be a customer service/help desk person.