fixation/fascination in Aspergers Syndrome

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Wolfi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2021, 3:21 pm

Can everything be an object of fixation/fascination in Aspergers Syndrome?

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 3:35 pm

What exactly do you mean by "object of fixation/fascination"? I'm a bit confused.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 3:37 pm

You mean sorta like how Rule 34 works? If you can conceive of something, there's someone with ASD who's fixated on it? Yes, even that**.

** That meaning literally whatever you're about to say. Yes, that too. :nerdy:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2021, 3:45 pm

I would say so…
I’m interested to hear what other people get fixated on.

Wolfi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2021, 4:59 pm

I'm fixated on straight line, it's The most beautiful shape for me. And I'm thinking about how common is this fixation and I'm searching for answer- is it really connected with my Aspergers syndrome?

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2021, 1:22 am

Wolfi wrote:
I'm fixated on straight line, it's The most beautiful shape for me. And I'm thinking about how common is this fixation and I'm searching for answer- is it really connected with my Aspergers syndrome?

It can be. But there may be other reasons for the fixation if you have any other conditions.

Most people with ASD have something they "fixate" upon. The degree of their fixation depends on the particular person. I have really rather mild things for ASD in some areas, and things that are more common for others. regarding fixations, I would not say I have an all consuming fixation. I have things I tend to get stuck on, but not to the point of disruption or fascination.

Shapes and geometric designs seem to be a common thing for ASD. Numbers too (Though there are exceptions. I am one of those...I don't find numbers particularly interesting). I myself like Hexagons. I like the way they tile. If I have to pick a number to be fixated upon, I like the number 5. No real major reason I am aware of. Hexagons actually bug me because they don't have 5 sides, but that doesn't stop me from liking their tiling capabilities.

But I would say every person who identifies as an Aspie or with ASD has a fixation, even if it isn't geometric shapes, lines, patterns, numbers, or whatever. Most of us have an area of interest that we tend to get really really hyper focused on. There are too many things to consider, so each person here will have a different answer.

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2021, 6:15 am

IMO it can be tough to separate asperger interests from 'normal' interests...but I also believe that that distinction doesn't really matter too much if it's not leading you down an unhealthy path. Even 'normal' people get all kinds of weird interests.

Also, in my experience fixations can get pretty odd and abstract. I am absolutely almost obsessively fascinated by symbolism, variables and systems, grouped together as a kind of themed interest. I'm also really into optimization and finding out 'why?'.

I'm not fixated on it, but I tend to gravitate around 'threeness' and patterned beats.

I also love resonance. Hearing a note being held on a violin, cello or anything in that family of instruments is just fantastic to me. Sometimes I'll just replay the memory of the sound, shortly after, and try to listen for the subtleties of the resonance. Even with birds, too. If you slow down a birds tweet, just a second or two turns into full phrase of a sounds.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 4:01 pm

The way I have heard it explained "folks with aspergers can form obsessions on things like the life and career of Alexander Hamilton, or on things like deep fat fryers".

So ...basically ANY thing... can trigger aspie obsession.

cbd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2021, 8:17 am

a burning fire . could be the heat .. could be the change in tonation of flame . who knows .

the stars . you see unexpected things 8)