Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:15 am

Blazingstar wrote:
Ditto for me. I hate to clean. I hate to pick up. I consider something done when I have the finished product in hand and dismiss from my mind the necessary clean up. I believe that if I clean clean something up it should stay cleaned up. :D :D :D Alas, the world doesn’t work the way I want it to.

you can say that again.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
mebbe pick up the papers one at a time, put each paper into 2 boxes- either "important" or "trash." the trash box is just for obvious unmistakable trash. the important box is for things like receipts, bills, correspondence.

Aye, sometimes I need to make a "first pass" just to improve things. Another trick is to look for all the things that belong in the same place, which simplifies each trip while thinning the mess.

Harry Haller
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Aug 2021, 8:59 am

It's not a priority
https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads ... ied-01.jpg
(Einstein's desk)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 11:07 am

-sensory issues (smells, feels, sounds)
-planning the steps and sequencing
-prioritising
-multitasking
-confronting your past failures (mess, dirt, procrastination)
-physical fatigue
-knowing it's pointless and you'll just need to do it again
-having to be "in your body" instead of "in your head"
-difficulty changing from one activity to another
-expense of cleaning products, not knowing which to use (environmental etc)
-lost time from other interests and hobbies, even if they're only mental
-fear of judgment or critique from other people, or being watched
-not knowing where to put things (disorganisation)
-anxiety that you don't know where to start
-anxiety that you'll start but not finish, or get carried away and not stop
-time management
-bad memories about cleaning / being disorganised or criticised
-not knowing how to actually clean things or do the job
-resentment that the task is all yours, especially if you're cleaning for someone else
-fight or flight response to stressful or demanding situations
-lack of routine

Take your pick.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 12:13 pm

Would it be an idea to design a house that one can lift the roof off and turn it upsidown to get rid of the mess, and turn it back over and put the roof on again? :D

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 12:42 pm

I actually work as a cleaner, and I still live in an indescribable pit of filth. I can not seem to transfer the skills from work to daily life.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 12:55 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Would it be an idea to design a house that one can lift the roof off and turn it upsidown to get rid of the mess, and turn it back over and put the roof on again? :D

Yes, that is an example of an idea. I wouldn't want to have all my furniture, books, plates, and plants bolted down, though. In 1955, Popular Mechanics thought that by now, because of the increasing use of synthetics, houscleaning would be done with a garden hose. I have sometimes used compressed air for dusting, but never water.
After a dust storm, construction, or other big dust event, you can even use a shop vac with a hose on the outlet. You use it to blow all the dust from intricate spaces into the middle of the room, where it can be swept up. At the same time, the machine is filtering all the finer dust from the air.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 8:04 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Cheekybean wrote:
Hey everyone! I've been diagnosed w/ mental illness in the past but now at 41 I suspect I may be on the spectrum instead. One of the things I find extremely difficult to do is clean my home. It has gotten pretty bad. I see the dirt and mess but dont feel that urgency to do anything. Im aware it needs to be cleaned and organized but Im not sure how to put the pieces together or where to start. Does anyone have any tips to actually get started? Thanks

Hiya CB- here's what you CAN DO-
*make "brains on paper" which is a calendar schedule that has single tasks on it that you can make yourself do on certain days.
*make one day per week your "cleaning" day.
*permit yourself a set length of time to accomplish a task. if the task takes longer than that, let yourself rest for 5 minutes, then resume until finished. when task is finished, check it off, every time. this gives you a sense of accomplishment and makes you feel ready for more.
*keep a map of where things should be put in your house, and stick to that map. if something is out of place, immediately put it back where it belongs NOW and not later, don't procrastinate above all as that is deadly to tidiness. i've been there [i'm still there] so i know this.
*keep this "brains on paper" list and stick to this list, when you add days and times to it.

good luck. :flower:

That's pretty good explanation.

I find if the messiness exceeds a certain point it only snowballs.. I can't get it done without assistance.

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 8:08 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
-sensory issues (smells, feels, sounds)
-planning the steps and sequencing
-prioritising
-multitasking
-confronting your past failures (mess, dirt, procrastination)
-physical fatigue
-knowing it's pointless and you'll just need to do it again
-having to be "in your body" instead of "in your head"
-difficulty changing from one activity to another
-expense of cleaning products, not knowing which to use (environmental etc)
-lost time from other interests and hobbies, even if they're only mental
-fear of judgment or critique from other people, or being watched
-not knowing where to put things (disorganisation)
-anxiety that you don't know where to start
-anxiety that you'll start but not finish, or get carried away and not stop
-time management
-bad memories about cleaning / being disorganised or criticised
-not knowing how to actually clean things or do the job
-resentment that the task is all yours, especially if you're cleaning for someone else
-fight or flight response to stressful or demanding situations
-lack of routine

Take your pick.

That's me all in one every minute of everyday. Thanks life! :wink:

Think I'll go die now.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 11:11 pm

Harry Haller wrote:
It's not a priority
https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads ... ied-01.jpg
(Einstein's desk)

he knew unmistakably where every single item was.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 11:12 pm

Danusaurus wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Cheekybean wrote:
Hey everyone! I've been diagnosed w/ mental illness in the past but now at 41 I suspect I may be on the spectrum instead. One of the things I find extremely difficult to do is clean my home. It has gotten pretty bad. I see the dirt and mess but dont feel that urgency to do anything. Im aware it needs to be cleaned and organized but Im not sure how to put the pieces together or where to start. Does anyone have any tips to actually get started? Thanks

Hiya CB- here's what you CAN DO-
*make "brains on paper" which is a calendar schedule that has single tasks on it that you can make yourself do on certain days.
*make one day per week your "cleaning" day.
*permit yourself a set length of time to accomplish a task. if the task takes longer than that, let yourself rest for 5 minutes, then resume until finished. when task is finished, check it off, every time. this gives you a sense of accomplishment and makes you feel ready for more.
*keep a map of where things should be put in your house, and stick to that map. if something is out of place, immediately put it back where it belongs NOW and not later, don't procrastinate above all as that is deadly to tidiness. i've been there [i'm still there] so i know this.
*keep this "brains on paper" list and stick to this list, when you add days and times to it.

good luck. :flower:

That's pretty good explanation. I find if the messiness exceeds a certain point it only snowballs.. I can't get it done without assistance.

my sister helped me today. i have a better handle on it now that the tough part was done.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 11:18 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I actually work as a cleaner, and I still live in an indescribable pit of filth. I can not seem to transfer the skills from work to daily life.

an example of fatigue [from working all day at hard labor] manifesting as a transient form of "pathological demand avoidance." i feel where you're comin' from here, i experienced that with my tough job, no energy left at the end of the day.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 4:32 am

Dear_one wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Yes, that is an example of an idea. I wouldn't want to have all my furniture, books, plates, and plants bolted down, though. In 1955, Popular Mechanics thought that by now, because of the increasing use of synthetics, houscleaning would be done with a garden hose. I have sometimes used compressed air for dusting, but never water.
After a dust storm, construction, or other big dust event, you can even use a shop vac with a hose on the outlet. You use it to blow all the dust from intricate spaces into the middle of the room, where it can be swept up. At the same time, the machine is filtering all the finer dust from the air.

It was funny the things that were predicted years ago.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 5:51 am

I am right now trying to get back to cleaning. I vacuumed the house but i still need to mop.

The only solution for me was to keep my headphones on and daydreaming while cleaning. The music also helps blocking the vacuum cleaner's noise.

I also make lists, like wipe the tables/surfaces first.

Then vacuum the whole house, then mop.

Lastly cleaning the bathroom.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 5:54 am

I wish I was like April.

I suck at cleaning.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 6:23 am

^Trust me i suck too! I am lucky since i live in a small apartment so it is easy to clean. Also i have free time now as opposed to the time i was working.