Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Cheekybean
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2021, 5:35 pm

Hey everyone!

Ive been diagnosed w/ mental illness in the past but now at 41 I suspect I may be on the spectrum instead. One of the things I find extremely difficult to do is clean my home. It has gotten pretty bad. I see the dirt and mess but dont feel that urgency to do anything. Im aware it needs to be cleaned and organized but Im not sure how to put the pieces together or where to start. Does anyone have any tips to actually get started?

Thanks

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 5:36 pm

Because it's not a high priority and it's boring AF. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 5:58 pm

I have the same problem. I have so much clutter and stuff everywhere which means I'll have to move everything and that takes more time than the cleaning itself. So the solution is to leave it and worry about it another day. :lol:

I have ADHD by the way.

A_minor
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2021, 6:16 pm

Cheekybean wrote:
Im aware it needs to be cleaned and organized but Im not sure how to put the pieces together or where to start. Does anyone have any tips to actually get started?

I have the same problem, it's a problem with executive functioning, which is common with people on the spectrum.
I have no tips, could use some too.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:23 pm

Depends what the main issue is.

Sometimes cleaning is harder due to executive functions, certain physical conditions, the too common conditioning, inexperience, or just plain laziness. :lol:

Physical conditions -- likely would need assistance, techniques, energy management, or special tools and equipment...

Conditioning can be done by opening your own mind, and laziness can be done with willpower and discipline.

Inexperience is just that -- inexperience. But it can get behind worry and overwhelm by lack of knowledge.
Research if one is very uncertain of what to do in specific tasks.

In executive function, it can seem like a combination of many.

Planning, initiating, executing, etc. No plan or routine seems to be followed.
To just plain forgetfulness, overwhelm, or certain aversions definitely can relate to mental health issues.

I know 'how' but I wouldn't recommend anyone. :o
Because there are plenty of gaps without any acknowledgement of one's circumstances;

It's the cliche 'list them all, break huge task into smaller pieces, and prepare tools' and 'disregard any fancy overthink, grab whatever's tool relevant to use, allow yourself to get dirty and just do it'.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:43 pm

Cheekybean wrote:
Hey everyone! I've been diagnosed w/ mental illness in the past but now at 41 I suspect I may be on the spectrum instead. One of the things I find extremely difficult to do is clean my home. It has gotten pretty bad. I see the dirt and mess but dont feel that urgency to do anything. Im aware it needs to be cleaned and organized but Im not sure how to put the pieces together or where to start. Does anyone have any tips to actually get started? Thanks

Hiya CB- here's what you CAN DO-
*make "brains on paper" which is a calendar schedule that has single tasks on it that you can make yourself do on certain days.
*make one day per week your "cleaning" day.
*permit yourself a set length of time to accomplish a task. if the task takes longer than that, let yourself rest for 5 minutes, then resume until finished. when task is finished, check it off, every time. this gives you a sense of accomplishment and makes you feel ready for more.
*keep a map of where things should be put in your house, and stick to that map. if something is out of place, immediately put it back where it belongs NOW and not later, don't procrastinate above all as that is deadly to tidiness. i've been there [i'm still there] so i know this.
*keep this "brains on paper" list and stick to this list, when you add days and times to it.

good luck. :flower:

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:45 pm

Executive processing dysfunction

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:46 pm

the main reason cleaning is such a female dog is because it taxes the resources of the frontal lobes which are weak in many of us. the brains on paper technique is one way of strengthening those suckers. following this list develops self-discipline and improves self-esteem, one feels more normal.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:51 pm

It is something I struggle with at times. I never let food stuff pile up, but general things do tend to pile up. Books and paperwork and trains and things... All sorts!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:53 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
It is something I struggle with at times. I never let food stuff pile up, but general things do tend to pile up. Books and paperwork and trains and things... All sorts!

How bad are you for letting train-related clutter build up?

I'm terrible when it comes to toy car related stuff. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 7:01 pm

I tell myself I would clean my house if other areas of my life calmed down. I could take the time to focus on it. I would start where I could get the most positive impact with the lowest effort and begin in small increments (10-20 minutes).

But alas, I'm over committed, so messy house it is. Plus I like to see where things are, or else it's out of sight and out of mind, so messy house it is. It drives my husband and relatives crazy. Executive function continues to decrease with age so there are a few folks in my support group that have executive function support. A person visits to either help them plan etc., or else just be there (e.g. reading a book) which seems to help some people also.

Maybe if I had a really good "clean up" song list that I could enjoy for 10 min a day that would help.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:01 pm

If you look at a mess, it can look normal, and you may remember where everything is, or prefer having a little bit of it visible. It may be hard to guess where you put away things like a glass cutter, which is not really like any other tool. However, one trick that works for some people is to stop looking at a mess and seeing an overwhelming number of things to do, but to look at the space and strongly resist moving anything as long as you can while imagining the space when tidy. Eventually, the urge to remove things that don't belong in the tidy vision is overwhelming. I try to always have at least one table clear for a new project. I don't mind cleaning when I can see a real difference, unless I'm really depressed.

I was also ill-trained by the frequent class changes in school - I had to put things away just when I was well engaged. Now, I tidy up after various stages of progress on a project, not by a clock.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

When I have made railway layouts, they usually have so many things sitting on them that I rarely get to run trains!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:10 pm

there is a stubborn mess behind my puter chair that i MUST deal with before sis comes by tomorrow.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:24 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I often let game related things pile up. You'd think I'd treat those things better and organize them better since they're related to my S.I., but no I usually have some video game cases strewn in little piles around my room at any given time. My excuse is always that I'm going to play them soon... lol

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:31 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

When I have made railway layouts, they usually have so many things sitting on them that I rarely get to run trains!

When I had my diorama setup the same thing happened. It was always buried under ongoing projects, if I wanted to take some pictures cleaning/organizing too more time than the photoshoot.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I often let game related things pile up. You'd think I'd treat those things better and organize them better since they're related to my S.I., but no I usually have some video game cases strewn in little piles around my room at any given time. My excuse is always that I'm going to play them soon... lol

Same, it always two or three things away from what I'm doing now so the clutter doesn't get put away.

(no matter how unrealistic my intended schedule is)

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う