Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:37 pm

Does anyone else do that hand-wringing thing, or used to?

I did it a lot as a kid and still do it if I don't know what to do with my hands.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:51 pm

My daughter does; she's still a child. My BFF will tap her thumb on her finger tips one-by-one. As a child I bit my nails and twisted, chewed on and smelled my long hair. Now I rub my ears a lot. My therapist suggested I tap my hands against the side of my legs, or cross my arms and tap my hands on my sides.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:52 pm

Yes. I used to do it a lot until I had a shop manager who would watch me and tell me off every time I did it.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 7:17 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Yes. I used to do it a lot until I had a shop manager who would watch me and tell me off every time I did it.

I think I stopped doing it because my parents and teachers noticed it and told me to stop. I've been doing it more recently. Otherwise I usually am holding something like my phone or something to fidget with so I don't do it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:30 pm

When I was 13 I went through a phase of wringing my hands and also pulling loose hairs out my head because I couldn't stand loose hairs. I'd scan the ends of my hair and look for any loose ones and pull them out. It was embarrassing because I done it at school too.

I don't do that now, and I don't wring my hands.

Redpaws
Toucan
Toucan

05 Aug 2021, 4:46 am

I wring my hands too much if I don't pay attention. Especially when I'm anxious but at other times too.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2021, 6:24 am

Yep, though not strictly just wringing my hands. Seems like its just about evoking senses from my hands in one way or another. For me it's definitely stimming.