Have you made any friends on WP?

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Have you made any friends on Wrong Planet?
Yes 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
No 45%  45%  [ 10 ]
Not sure 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Don't care 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Other 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

Steve1963
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:02 am

blackicmenace wrote:
Yes. One person. Which brings my grand total of friends to one. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:20 am

I have made some friends.

I hope the people I feel are friends feel the same about me.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 12:33 pm

StrayCat81 wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
smudge wrote:
You seem really nice to people including me, blackicmenace.

Thanks, but I am not always nice. I wasn't very nice to StrayCat81.

Not true, I wanted to try how it is to have an enemy, and I got it! So guess you deserve a hug as my brand new nemesis! :3

Sorry, that would require far too much energy to be a nemesis. You will have to settle for an apology. I am sorry for reinforcing any negative feelings and biases you may hold for humans.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2021, 4:18 pm

Heh, well, I didn't even know it requires so much energy, so guess I still learned something.

Anyway, what's so bad about negative bias? I thought it's kind of practical, to counter humans tendency to constantly lie and paint themselves in a good light? Without it, I tend to take what humans say at face value, which inevitably leads to disappointment, which is depressing. Is there a better way to handle humans?

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:18 pm

StrayCat81 wrote:
Heh, well, I didn't even know it requires so much energy, so guess I still learned something.

Anyway, what's so bad about negative bias? I thought it's kind of practical, to counter humans tendency to constantly lie and paint themselves in a good light? Without it, I tend to take what humans say at face value, which inevitably leads to disappointment, which is depressing. Is there a better way to handle humans?

On an individual level without biased presumptions.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 5:22 pm

StrayCat81 wrote:

Treat others as you would treat yourself. That means, realise they have good days and bad days. Days where you're upset with them and days where you forgive them. Realise that everyone has the same concerns you do, whether they express it or not. At the end of the day we're all only human.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2021, 5:44 pm

blackicmenace wrote:

Takes too long though, and by the time I uncover all lies, damage is already done and I feel awful for wasting time and energy on someone so fake and incompatible... There must be a faster way?

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Treat others as you would treat yourself.

Doesn't work, humans hate it when I treat them like that. For example, I never lie to myself, and I always try to figure myself out to the best of my ability. But humans hate when I don't lie to them, they only want to hear some weird compliments. And they freak out when I try to get to know them, I'm guessing it's because they don't like when I uncover their lies?

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 6:17 pm

StrayCat81 wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:

Takes too long though, and by the time I uncover all lies, damage is already done and I feel awful for wasting time and energy on someone so fake and incompatible... There must be a faster way?

If you're going to have a genuine relationship with another person, it must be on an intimate level and that takes trust and time. You're going to end up with a few scars along the way.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 6:24 pm

I think all the friendships I have had since getting out of college have begun on WP.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 6:29 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Treat others as you would treat yourself.

Doesn't work, humans hate it when I treat them like that. For example, I never lie to myself, and I always try to figure myself out to the best of my ability. But humans hate when I don't lie to them, they only want to hear some weird compliments. And they freak out when I try to get to know them, I'm guessing it's because they don't like when I uncover their lies?[/quote]

So I'll change my word. Instead of "treat", how about "consider" ?

Consider them as you would consider yourself: Sometimes good, sometimes making mistakes, sometimes masking, or whatever. Until someone has done something demonstrably terrible and unforgivable, I'd just consider everyone equal in their imperfection. If you really don't like people then don't bother trying to analyse them, or make friends.

Problem solved.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2021, 6:29 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
If you're going to have a genuine relationship with another person, it must be on an intimate level and that takes trust and time. You're going to end up with a few scars along the way.

Or raped or dead, like many before me? Well, yeah, that's the problem, I'm trying to minimize that possibility here. How to do that, when most humans will do those things the moment thy feel they can get away with it? :3

Last edited by StrayCat81 on 05 Aug 2021, 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 6:30 pm

StrayCat81 wrote:

Doesn't work, humans hate it when I treat them like that. For example, I never lie to myself, and I always try to figure myself out to the best of my ability. But humans hate when I don't lie to them, they only want to hear some weird compliments. And they freak out when I try to get to know them, I'm guessing it's because they don't like when I uncover their lies?

So I'll change my word. Instead of "treat", how about "consider" ?

Consider them as you would consider yourself: Sometimes good, sometimes making mistakes, sometimes masking, or whatever. Until someone has done something demonstrably terrible and unforgivable, I'd just consider everyone equal in their imperfection. If you really don't like people then don't bother trying to analyse them, or make friends.

Problem solved.

StrayCat81
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2021, 6:34 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
If you really don't like people then don't bother trying to analyse them, or make friends.

I'm not trying to make friends. But I'd argue that analyzing is very important for my survival when I'm basically surrounded and dependent on civilization made by those monstrosities? I don't want to end up like others animals, enslaved or tortured for human amusement... :3

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 7:54 pm

Steve1963 wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
Yes. One person. Which brings my grand total of friends to one. :)

That's great, best of luck with your friendship! May it grow and flourish standing against the test of time.

browneyedgirlslowingdown
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2021, 8:33 pm

How would I know if someone is my friend here? There are people I find myself liking even though I have only exchanged a few replies with them on a post or I have read their commentary and found it pleasing. Besides that, I am not sure how to measure friendship so I went with I don't know. Shrug.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 50 of 200
You are very likely on the broader autism cluster (Aspie)
Systemising Quotient (SQ) 78
Empathy Quotient (EQ) 41
CAT-Q 156 Compensation 56 Masking 48 Assimilation 52

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 8:36 pm

I hope so.
Should I call them out? What if they're embarrassed or don't reciprocate? :oops:

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う