Habitual squinting but don't want to wear glasses/contacts

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:55 pm

My eyesight isn't a problem to me, except I'm short-sighted when it comes to reading print from a certain distance (the smaller the print the nearer it has to be to me). But otherwise I can see well, like when crossing the street I can see far into the distance.
Also I don't need glasses when reading a book or looking at my phone.

But sometimes I still squint when having to read something that's on a wall or something. Other times it's out of habit, like if I'm doing a really fiddly task I often squint even if I can actually see what I'm doing. I think it just helps me focus better when I'm squinting, also I sometimes do it without realising.

I usually get people yelling at me "you're squinting - you need glasses!" But I don't want to wear glasses. I do have a pair of glasses but I don't like wearing glasses. I don't know why, I just feel self-conscious wearing glasses, I feel like even the stylish ones don't suit me and I'm scared I'll look plain or nerdy. I'm not saying all people under 45 look plain and nerdy with glasses, but I feel it does me. I think it's my shape face and hairstyle and the fact that I don't wear much make-up, I just don't want to give off that nerdy sort of vibe when I'm in public. But I don't want to wear contact lenses either, because I don't really need to have vision aides all the time only to read small print, and also contacts have risks and are fiddly to take in and out your eyes. But it seems that most NTs my age switch to contacts as soon as they need glasses.
I don't know why but I just get embarrassed wearing glasses. I wish people wouldn't get on my case every time I squint.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 2:35 am

Without contact lenses, glasses and squinting?

I got at least three:
This --
Though it can look weird.. Or weirder.

This -- not recommended in places with visibility issues. Not very safe when navigating.
Beware of overpriced similar item with marketing quips however...

Or... This --
Even NTs are wary of this. And expensive.

Contact lenses... Is only scary if one isn't meticulous, too clumsy to put contact lenses, or is actually freaked out on the idea of putting something directly into one's eyeballs.

But yes, it is a pain. I have the same habits -- I only wear my glasses if I want to see far.

And as for the glasses wearing? The embarrassment just the associations with nerdy archetype.

At this age where half of youths needed glasses due to tech, I won't be surprised if the whole thing is getting outdated.
There are glasses that are fashionable and can be trendy...

Or do not standout that much, amiable to one's appearances even -- it's not like you're wearing thick framed glasses. :o Or that your lens IS thick.
But if you must -- tinted lenses exists, usually can double for sensory related issues.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 3:30 pm

It seems that the thick-framed glasses are actually the most fashionable these days, especially with colourful frames. The thin glasses are the ones that make some young people look plain and expressionless. But even the thick-framed glasses don't seem to suit me. I hate being judged in public. I know it's easy for some Aspies here (not aimed at you) to say "ignore them, if they laugh it's their problem" but my fragile ego just can't take that kind of judgement, especially from other females my age and younger. Also if you look a bit nerdy or plain, you can sometimes come across as weak too, and people can exploit this or it could even make you a target.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 4:06 pm

I look better and younger with glasses.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 12:40 am

Being bugged by squinting, unable to read close and comfortably, anxious about appearances -- unsuitable trendy frames or being looking plain, unexpressive, nerdy or a target...
To stand out or not to stand out.

Make up your mind. :lol:

Or at least choose which you deem as the lesser evil between the 5-9 options mentioned so far;
One of which doesn't require any change from your current situation, one option no one would judge for not choosing, the rest is very undoable.

But have you consulted any glasses and face shapes yet? Are you one of those whose shape faces are hard to match frames with?

Or you simply got ideas between what suits you from what others follow? Trends can expire with time. Maybe the nagging about squinting too.

And contact lenses...
If you have to... It takes some sacrifice of comfort with closer objects, maintenance and change from one's usual routine.

The context here, while different (having any glasses meant you can afford something) so are the trends. :lol:
I dunno what's the current one anywhere in Europe -- but if it's contact lenses, it's even less easier to get.

My priority is more about comfort -- thick glasses and frames are too heavy for me and would give me headaches.

Non tinted ones would make my posture and gaze compensate against photosensitivity.

Smaller lenses would jar my eyes off -- bigger lenses would mean heavier lenses.
Nose padded frames would likely break, get dirty or alter and don't serve me well.

After some experiments, some feedback, at least 5 different sizes and shapes of glasses and lenses spanning around 5 years long later...

I aim for thinner -- preferably made of plastic because it's lighter -- but tinted or photochormic lens, frames that carries lens size that are at least a quarter of my whole face, with frames with lightest material I could afford without needing nosepads.

Of course I got several remarks; mostly a hit than a miss.
An amusing presumption or two who thought it was fashionable but not my intention to be.

My biggest miss is that my glasses is so huge, it thought it swallowed most of my face. :lol: And it was from the ophthalmologist.

And if I were to get contact lenses... I'd take the dailies disposable ones, preferably ones that are also photochromic.
Dailies are less of a pain to "keep" because it doesn't need meticulous daily cleaning.

I'm willing to sacrifice my habit, which includes eye rubbing -- and ability to read closely and comfortably.
But that's probably uncommon and really expensive.

And if LASIK is an affordable and available option for me -- I'd take it. I won't be afraid of the idea of someone cutting me either.

It's easier for me not simply because I'm a asocial aspie. :o

There is more to it -- because I'm not a true introvert, nor conditioned or driven to 'become' asocial, nor fragile with sour grapes. :lol: Nor even fragile myself.

At least you're fragile without the sour grapes.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.