mutations in top autism gene could lead to seizures

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 6:54 am

Spectrum

Quote:
Some mutations that disable SCN2A, one of the genes most strongly linked to autism, can unexpectedly make neurons hyperexcitable, a study in mice shows. The findings may help explain why a sizeable proportion of autistic children with mutations in SCN2A experience epileptic seizures.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 8:02 am

I love your informative posts about autism research , you do a service by searching these out and posting them. I try to keep up with new research but you catch a lot of them that I miss. Just wanted to say thank you.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 11:39 am

If this is the case then why are autistic people allowed to have a driver's license? Or does it only apply to autistic children?

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2021, 2:51 pm

Why would you assume it would affect all ASDers?

Here one is allowed to drive as long as one hasn't had seizures for so many years (3 or 5 or such). I had a friend who in his mid-30s is finally able to drive because he hasn't had one in years. Last time he tried, he had one just before getting the doc's note that enough time had passed seizure free.

Joe90 wrote:
If this is the case then why are autistic people allowed to have a driver's license? Or does it only apply to autistic children?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 2:58 pm

It should be noted that many autistic people DO NOT have that mutation.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 3:21 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
Why would you assume it would affect all ASDers?

Here one is allowed to drive as long as one hasn't had seizures for so many years (3 or 5 or such). I had a friend who in his mid-30s is finally able to drive because he hasn't had one in years. Last time he tried, he had one just before getting the doc's note that enough time had passed seizure free.

Joe90 wrote:

Sorry, I was just freaking out a bit. I've never had a seizure in my life and I hope I don't suddenly start now because I have an ASD.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 2:06 pm

autisticelders wrote:
I love your informative posts about autism research , you do a service by searching these out and posting them. I try to keep up with new research but you catch a lot of them that I miss. Just wanted to say thank you.

I do not specifically look for Autism research stories but Autism stories that seem important or interesting.

You are welcome.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2021, 2:54 pm

My daughter is on the spectrum and she has Epilepsy. I have no idea if it's from a gene mutation but that's interesting information. She is allowed to drive because her Epilepsy affects her stomach more than her brain. It's a rare type of Epilepsy that gives her seizures which involve nausea. She kind of zones out but not like most people with Epilepsy. If she's driving she's always been able to pull over and puke her brains out on the side of the road.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 6:23 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My daughter is on the spectrum and she has Epilepsy. I have no idea if it's from a gene mutation but that's interesting information. She is allowed to drive because her Epilepsy affects her stomach more than her brain. It's a rare type of Epilepsy that gives her seizures which involve nausea. She kind of zones out but not like most people with Epilepsy. If she's driving she's always been able to pull over and puke her brains out on the side of the road.

I'm a severe emetophobe, so if I ever got stomach seizures I'd kill myself.

cornerpiece
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2021, 1:23 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
[...] her Epilepsy affects her stomach more than her brain [...] If she's driving she's always been able to pull over and puke her brains out on the side of the road.

I DID imagine her puking her actual brains out... and then I thought - but you said, it wasn't a brain issue. And then I thought - oh wait... yep I guess I have a brain issue

Sorry for offtopic ...