What does 'spiritual community' mean to you?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Aug 2021, 3:21 am

Fnord wrote:
If you consider what myself and others have had to say about our interpretations of "Spiritual Community", you might also have to consider that our negative experiences are valid and more universal than your positive ones.

Instead of placing the blame for those negative experiences on ourselves, you might also want to consider that the sources of those negative experiences were within those very same "Spiritual Communities" -- that it is the way those "Spiritual" people treat the rest of us (e.g., condescending attitudes) that caused the negativity to occur.

The "Spiritual Community" is far from perfect, nor is it superior to "Non-Spiritual Communities", yet its members seem to believe otherwise.
Not all spiritual people believe otherwise. My girlfriend grew up having some very extreme religious beliefs pushed on her that she kinda just followed for a while but she eventually started questioning things & started studying various religions & would point out things. The church she went to & it's members may of been the most conservative town in the whole state & they treated Cass's family like they were dirt because everyone else in the church & town was rich & her dad worked 12 hours a day 5 days a week for one of the rich people & her dead never missed a weekday of work & yet her family was dirt poor for it. Cass kinda started opening her eyes to things & decided to study lots of other religions. She's a very spiritual person but is no longer part of a church. She's now a Panthiest & believes that god is in everything & that all religions can have some good in them & can all have some bad as well. She's very liberal & tends to prefer people who are Atheist, Agnostic, Secular Humanist, Unitarian Universalist, or Wiccan. I'm an Agnostic Secular Humanist & she wishes she could talk about god & spiritual stuff with me but she never tried to push it on me & I never tried to get her to stop believing or stop being spiritual.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2021, 8:15 am

nick007 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If you consider what myself and others have had to say about our interpretations of "Spiritual Community", you might also have to consider that our negative experiences are valid and more universal than your positive ones.

Instead of placing the blame for those negative experiences on ourselves, you might also want to consider that the sources of those negative experiences were within those very same "Spiritual Communities" -- that it is the way those "Spiritual" people treat the rest of us (e.g., condescending attitudes) that caused the negativity to occur.

The "Spiritual Community" is far from perfect, nor is it superior to "Non-Spiritual Communities", yet its members seem to believe otherwise.
Not all spiritual people believe otherwise. My girlfriend grew up having some very extreme religious beliefs pushed on her that she kinda just followed for a while but she eventually started questioning things & started studying various religions & would point out things. The church she went to & it's members may of been the most conservative town in the whole state & they treated Cass's family like they were dirt because everyone else in the church & town was rich & her dad worked 12 hours a day 5 days a week for one of the rich people & her dead never missed a weekday of work & yet her family was dirt poor for it. Cass kinda started opening her eyes to things & decided to study lots of other religions. She's a very spiritual person but is no longer part of a church. She's now a Panthiest & believes that god is in everything & that all religions can have some good in them & can all have some bad as well. She's very liberal & tends to prefer people who are Atheist, Agnostic, Secular Humanist, Unitarian Universalist, or Wiccan. I'm an Agnostic Secular Humanist & she wishes she could talk about god & spiritual stuff with me but she never tried to push it on me & I never tried to get her to stop believing or stop being spiritual.

Your girlfriend sounds like an amazing person.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Aug 2021, 1:11 am

AngelL wrote:
Your girlfriend sounds like an amazing person.
She is though she wouldn't believe it & that's one of the things I love about her.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition