Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 7:37 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
Also as NaturalPlastic says, it makes it sound a bit like a career choice.

Oh, so you perform audits? :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 5:00 am

I don't find the term Autist offensive, just a little unusual as I don't notice that word used alot. It's not the word I use to describe myself, I just say I'm autistic

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 1:37 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The Wall Street Journal fad of using the term "autist" is most likely 'convergent evolution'. It probably derives, not from the autism community, but from the accounting/finance community, and derives from "audit" (as in "the IRS is auditing me!")and not from "autism". Among WSJ readers an "autist" is a person who audits their own finances - and doesnt mean someone with "autistic traits".

Could you please point us to an example of this "accounting/finance community" use of the word "autist"? I was unable to find it via Google, or as a definition of "autist" in any dictionary. Also, did you mean "Wall Street Journal" or "Wall Street Bets"?

s.

I guess I skimmed it, and read "Wall Street Bets" has "Wall st. Journal". :oops:

But still- I assume the folks who consume it are investors.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2021, 10:29 am

I have been called a lot worse being autistic +dd.I always knew that there was something wrong.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2021, 11:17 am

I think autist (like sewist) is unnecessary. We already have autistic... just like we already have sewer (one who sews). And I've not heard of pianist or gymnast being only used by those with high talent; they've always been used around me as the proper description for one who plays the piano (even just basic beginner lessons) or takes gymnastic classes (not competition level). Flautist sounds ​kinda of elitist only in that it's less used around here, but since my dad was a music teacher, it's the proper term he always used for those playing a flute (such as in high school band).

I have seen autist used in my accounting classes a handful of times, so between that and the redundancy with having the word autistic, I'd rather hear, see, & used autistic.

sport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2021, 11:24 am

Your are right.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 11:26 am

Blue_Star wrote:
I think autist (like sewist) is unnecessary. We already have autistic... just like we already have sewer (one who sews). And I've not heard of pianist or gymnast being only used by those with high talent; they've always been used around me as the proper description for one who plays the piano (even just basic beginner lessons) or takes gymnastic classes (not competition level). Flautist sounds ​kinda of elitist only in that it's less used around here, but since my dad was a music teacher, it's the proper term he always used for those playing a flute (such as in high school band).

I have seen autist used in my accounting classes a handful of times, so between that and the redundancy with having the word autistic, I'd rather hear, see, & used autistic.

Sewer is where waste-water goes.
A tailor or a seamstress is someone who sews for a living.

You might be thinking of a sower, someone who sows for a living, but sewing for a living isn't the same as sowing for a living even if they sound the same.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2021, 3:31 pm

No, I know what a sewer (sue-er) system is. Sewer is also said as sew-er & means "one who sews". Many sewing websites use sewist now because of the sewer (system) use (& pronunciation). Hobby sewers don't tend to call themselves tailors or seamstresses. If you haven't heard the term, then maybe it's not used wherever you're from. But I've frequently seen & heard it online & irl.

And I also know the diff between sow & sew.

funeralxempire wrote:
Sewer is where waste-water goes.
A tailor or a seamstress is someone who sews for a living.

You might be thinking of a sower, someone who sows for a living, but sewing for a living isn't the same as sowing for a living even if they sound the same.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 8:29 am

I think it's just a noun version of autistic. Uncommonly used, since a lot of people who want to use the noun form just use autistic as both noun and adjective, but not offensive in any way.

Urselius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2021, 3:39 pm

I quite like 'Autiste'. I would definitely buy a 'T' shirt that said, "Autist in Residence" on it.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2021, 4:40 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I use "autists" and call myself an "autist" sometimes, I've always done that. I don't see an issue with it.

How does it sound elitist?

It rhymes with elitist? If you say pianist vs piano player pianist denotes the highest level of skill, gymnist donates a higher level of skill then gym rat. I am not saying that everybody who calls themselves an “autist” feels this way but if I call myself an autist I would feel I am putting myself above autistics.

Agree, I don’t find it offensive but it certainly sounds a bit elitist.

- George Bernie Shaw