have you constructively criticised an NT's communication?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 9:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
Jayo wrote:
On a tangent, I have noticed salesmen who are "very NT" to act in the complete opposite manner, like a person on the autism spectrum - they don't seem to "get" subtle rejection or nuance - so I get justifiably impatient with them. B(

Actually salesmen/women are uber NT. You have to remember they won't take "no for an answer", they know the signals and selectively ignore resistance from a potential customer. The trick they use is to persistence to wear down the customer.

Yeah, but that sort of behaviour isn't based on any real social skills. It's just blunt force tactics, which any of us could arguably do. OK, so you "uber NT" person intuitively recognize the signals, but you CHOOSE to filter them out...yeah, real smooth... there is such a thing as self-respect, you know, that if someone keeps saying "no not interested", you move on to the next prospect. Heck, even I learned that in my late teens / early 20s, you don't keep calling some girl you fancy asking for a date, or calling that restaurant to ask if they had a moment to look at your application - any basically street-smart NT would see your pestering behaviour as a red flag, that you're not worth their while.
Yet these stupid salesmen (b/c it's usually men) still act like they never learned this basic life lesson...

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 10:07 am

^
Yes, I've long seen those aggressive salesmen as being much the same as stalkers. What I don't understand is why they haven't all gone out of business. Either it works well enough to keep them afloat, or they've managed to convince their bosses that it works. Whichever is the truth, it suggests a lot more gullibility out there than I'd have thought possible.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 10:17 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
^
Yes, I've long seen those aggressive salesmen as being much the same as stalkers. What I don't understand is why they haven't all gone out of business. Either it works well enough to keep them afloat, or they've managed to convince their bosses that it works. Whichever is the truth, it suggests a lot more gullibility out there than I'd have thought possible.

I think a lot of them are also sociopathic, or at least at a higher percentage than the general population... I mean, on a couple of occasions, I had to be hostile with one of them and shout at him to "f*** off" or "GTFO of here". One of them even said to me in a sarcastic way, "Oh gee, I guess someone never learned any manners!!" - yeah, talk about hypocrisy, my reaction was not without provocation, and I tried the polite way... sometimes I think they prey on people who are TOO courteous and have too much hesitation about being "rude" even when it's the justified last resort.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 8:09 pm

Jayo wrote:
I mean, on a couple of occasions, I had to be hostile with one of them and shout at him to "f*** off" or "GTFO of here". One of them even said to me in a sarcastic way, "Oh gee, I guess someone never learned any manners!!" - yeah, talk about hypocrisy, my reaction was not without provocation, and I tried the polite way... sometimes I think they prey on people who are TOO courteous and have too much hesitation about being "rude" even when it's the justified last resort.

This really depends on what type of salesperson. If you are talking about phone sales then definitely, they have nothing to lose, it's anonymous and a whole phone book to target.

If you are talking about salespeople selling in public walkways of shopping malls then yes again, they do hard sell.

If you are talking about the pre-COVID practice of door to door sales then yes again.

What I am talking about are shop sales staff who use smiling, friendly greetings and subtle tactics to reel you in. I have never in my life had to be rude to a salesman or woman in a business that I walked into. If anything I often have to chase them. The worst are in high-end boutiques or perfume outlets, those ones behave as if they are too good for you.

On average watch a shop salesperson come and have a friendly chat with a potential customer and you can pick up some really good tips on how to approach people and break the ice with strangers. New car salespeople are really good, I also like clothing store staff.