Does systemic racism against blacks even exist anymore?

Page 21 of 21 [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 1:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
she did not resist that oinker.

You can clearly see he has his handcuffs out @53-54 seconds, and he's trying to get control of her hands to handcuff her.

She resists arrest at this point.

In what universe do you handcuff a young girl for walking her dog?? He warned her to leave, she tried to comply, this has been verified.

it is futile, you can't make people see the truth if they don't wanna see the truth, if it conflicts with their agenda. " The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." [Orwell]

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:07 am

cyberdad wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

You can clearly see he has his handcuffs out @53-54 seconds, and he's trying to get control of her hands to handcuff her.

In what universe do you handcuff a young girl for walking her dog?? He warned her to leave, she tried to comply, this has been verified.

You applauded Mr. Copper (black man) who targeted a young white woman for taking her dog into an prohibited area.

You should be consistent.

Be the hero of your life.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:17 am

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.." (Emerson)

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:34 am

auntblabby wrote:
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.." (Emerson)

Is this suppose to be a clever insult directed at people who don't agree with you?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:49 am

my my, aren't we sensitive tonight! :o fyi i did NOT direct this comment AT you, but in reply TO what you accused the previous poster of NOT being. you are smart enough to know this, you are just being contentious.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 3:30 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

You applauded Mr. Copper (black man) who targeted a young white woman for taking her dog into an prohibited area.

You should be consistent.

That's different, she was being a nuisance by letting her dog run without a leash in violation of the signs which she knew she was doing, I don't recall anyone laying a finger on the "young white woman" in your story. What I do remember is a certain "young woman" threatening the black man.

The girl walking her dog on a beach with no signage except for this creepy cop. She was sexually assaulted when she tried to leave/get away.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:14 pm

Absolutely, yes. As older people are getting to understand over time, kids will repeat the same mistakes that their elders did, unless they get educated, which adults need to take care of providing the kids with decent education about accepting people. For some white people, it's a sense of insecurity toward someone "different". anyway...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 4:19 pm

As long as women of color who go missing receive little or no law-enforcement interest or media coverage, while the plight of one missing white women receives high-priority involvement from multiple law-enforcement agencies and media outlets, systemic racism will continue to exist.

Missing White Woman Syndrome is a term used by social scientists and media commentators to refer to the observed disproportionate media coverage, especially in television, of missing-person cases involving young, white, upper-middle-class women or girls compared to the relative lack of attention towards missing women who are not white, women of lower social classes, and missing men or boys.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2021, 10:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
As long as women of color who go missing receive little or no law-enforcement interest or media coverage, while the plight of one missing white women receives high-priority involvement from multiple law-enforcement agencies and media outlets, systemic racism will continue to exist.

Missing White Woman Syndrome is a term used by social scientists and media commentators to refer to the observed disproportionate media coverage, especially in television, of missing-person cases involving young, white, upper-middle-class women or girls compared to the relative lack of attention towards missing women who are not white, women of lower social classes, and missing men or boys.

seems to be a 5 tiered system in the US

Tier one - White Americans
Tier two - Asian Americans
Tier three -native and hispanic
Tier four - black
tier five - hispanic without proper papers

When tier five people go missing nobody in the top 4 tiers knows or cares

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:19 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

There are stacks of laws on the books that are rarely enforced ... except when an officer is in the mood to make a big issue out of it.

When "resisting arrest" becomes the most serious charge on the list, there is a serious problem.

People of color are far more likely (something like 3-4 times as likely) to be arrested for breaking a silly law they may not even know exists than other Americans. We get serious about solving the issue, make some noise, do some training, then it all falls back into the same patterns. Another study points the destructive pattern out once again, maybe something like Floyd's death happens and people pay attention for a while, then the attention drifts and the patterns continues.

This is systemic racism.

I have to say, as someone with a slow reaction time and poor hearing, I am terrified of the idea I would ever get caught in a confusing situation with a police officer. I just know they would think I wasn't complying, when the reality would be I haven't heard and I haven't had processing time. Lucky thing I'm not a person of color. Seriously; I get to float around the world oblivious and it usually turns out just fine for me. Not everyone has that luxury.

Totally different topic, but another area of systemic racism is fraternal and social club memberships. These are the private organizations people use to make connections, and everyone knows (or should know) that connections increase opportunities. Generation after generation, people of color were shut out. That has changed now, but the effects will have lingered. I come from a time it was highly unusual for a person of color to even consider rushing a mainstream sorority or fraternity. Individuals with non-Christian religions tended to be shuttled into their own organizations, as well. It isn't that long ago. It is close enough to present day to be affecting whose child gets into what school, and whose child gets considered for which job. A lot of people aren't even aware of how pervasive those quiet little personal networks are, and it was appalling to look at my own personal networks and realize just how narrow they are.

I recently followed a discussion of the Greek system at colleges. Apparently quite a few chapters took a look at their own organizations and history over the summer and voted to disband their collegiate chapter. They then learned it wasn't that simple; each of these organizations has a massive corporate and alumnae network that isn't going to leave such a decision in the hands of a few idealistic college students. If the current student membership decides to disavow their membership, the national organization will simply recruit new members to replace them. Depending on the school and chapter, today's collegiates may look nothing like the vast alumnae network anymore, but the history and the network still have momentum and weight. That is also systemic racism.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

seems to be a 5 tiered system in the US

Tier one - White Americans
Tier two - Asian Americans
Tier three -native and hispanic
Tier four - black
tier five - hispanic without proper papers

When tier five people go missing nobody in the top 4 tiers knows or cares

https://www.migrationdataportal.org/the ... ppearances

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 8:12 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
When "resisting arrest" becomes the most serious charge on the list, there is a serious problem.

This seems to be about the officer feeling disrespected.

He warned her, RESPECT ME or this will escalate.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 4:36 pm

why are there so many pigs in the amuuurican police forces? why can't we hire more decent folks not on power trips?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 5:48 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

This seems to be about the officer feeling disrespected.

He warned her, RESPECT ME or this will escalate.

Since when did lack of respect become a crime? No one owes anyone respect.

In polite society we should choose respect, but it is not something that can be forced.

The law requires compliance with instructions from a police officer, not respect. Expecting compliance with instructions requires that one know those instructions have been heard and understood. In most of these situations the instructions have not been fully heard or understood, and police officers are using “respect” as a cover for THEIR failure to effectively communicate.

Simple fact: I would not be able to comply in the situations ending up in tape. UNABLE. Not unwilling. UNABLE.

Note: I have not watched the video (I just can't handle them anymore) and am speaking in general to the concepts raised in the discussion.

Last edited by DW_a_mom on 27 Sep 2021, 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2021, 6:04 pm

the ableists of the right wing are totally unwilling to understand the "unable" of anybody other than themselves. beware.