Arizona state senator arrested for child molestation.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 7:30 am

Quote:
The Arizona governor and Democratic lawmakers called Friday for state Sen. Tony Navarrete to resign after he was charged with sexually abusing a boy and attempting to abuse another.

“These allegations are abhorrent,” Republican Gov. Doug Ducey wrote on Twitter. “My prayers are with the young victims and their loved ones during this traumatic time.”

Navarrete, 35, is accused of repeatedly abusing a boy with whom he was living over a period of several years, according to court records. The boy, now 16, told detectives that Navarrete touched his genitals with his hands and mouth, starting when he was around 12 or 13 and continuing through his 15th birthday. The teen said he suffers from anxiety and anger that stems from the abuse.

In a phone call recorded by police on Thursday afternoon, Navarrete apologized to the teen, saying he regretted his actions and would have to live with them for the rest of his life, according to the court records. When asked why he did it, he told the boy he “wasn’t well,” detectives wrote.

The teen’s younger brother, now 13, told police that Navarrete touched his upper leg inside his shorts, causing the boy to slap away the hand and get up, detectives wrote in a probable cause affidavit filed in court.

Navarrete made an initial appearance in court Friday and did not enter a plea on the charges, which include child molestation and sexual contact with a minor. He appeared by video from jail, most of the time holding an iPad so that only his forehead could be seen.

Source: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/arizona-lawmaker-arrested-accused-of-sexual-conduct-with-a-minor-in-2019/3206967/

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Aug 2021, 8:05 am

These type of activities transcend political affiliation. People of all political persuasions regularly get up to all sorts of shenanigans and the law must take its course...he certainly isn't an individual who should be representing a state in the Senate.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 9:20 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
These type of activities transcend political affiliation. People of all political persuasions regularly get up to all sorts of shenanigans and the law must take its course...he certainly isn't an individual who should be representing a state in the Senate.

Yet, there are people on the right that think people on the left want to normalize that kind of stuff.

Yet Matt Gaetz has been accused of similar stuff, and not a word from his MAGA and Q-Anon supporters.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

salad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 9:52 pm

Imagine a horrible and traumatizing account of sexual abuse being turned into a f*****g Right vs Left grudge match.

Like seriously, put the f*****g politics aside and not hijack tragedies for scoring points on the other side

Sexual abuse is no joke and whoever engages in it is scum regardless of religion, sex, political affiliation, etc

Master Oogway

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 9:55 pm

salad wrote:
Imagine a horrible and traumatizing account of sexual abuse being turned into a f*****g Right vs Left grudge match.

Like seriously, put the f*****g politics aside and not hijack tragedies for scoring points on the other side

Sexual abuse is no joke and whoever engages in it is scum regardless of religion, sex, political affiliation, etc

This.

If there's a bias in how it plays out that might be tied to how groups with sketchy morals like child marriage or a fixation on marrying virgins might be more likely to be aligned with one side or another, instead of it just being a left/right thing.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

salad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 11:15 pm

Remember the good old days when humanity came before petty partisan politics??

Remember??

Back when a story about rape and sexual abuse was just universally condemned as an unambiguous crime against humanity, instead of becoming a proxy war in the larger culture wars dividing America?

When I read this story the only thing that came to my mind was how f****d up this world is for little boys to be raped by people in power. Not once did I even subconsciously try to spin a political narrative out of a horrible atrocity that transcends politics and is indicative of people in power not being held accountable for abuses of power.

How you read this article is a literal Rorschach test for your basic humanity and morality. If the knee jerk reaction to this article is gleeful pleasure at being able to score points on the other side, or feeling anxious that your side was made to look bad, instead of basic indignation at someone else's life being f****d and empathy with the victim, then you need to get help

Rant over

Master Oogway

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 11:42 pm

salad wrote:
Remember the good old days when humanity came before petty partisan politics??

Remember??

Back when a story about rape and sexual abuse was just universally condemned as an unambiguous crime against humanity, instead of becoming a proxy war in the larger culture wars dividing America?

When I read this story the only thing that came to my mind was how f****d up this world is for little boys to be raped by people in power. Not once did I even subconsciously try to spin a political narrative out of a horrible atrocity that transcends politics and is indicative of people in power not being held accountable for abuses of power.

How you read this article is a literal Rorschach test for your basic humanity and morality. If the knee jerk reaction to this article is gleeful pleasure at being able to score points on the other side, or feeling anxious that your side was made to look bad, instead of basic indignation at someone else's life being f****d and empathy with the victim, then you need to get help

Rant over

I certainly agree with this.

On the positive side, it looks like the police have the person on tape admitting to what he did and "appologising" (if his statement to the victim that he (the person arrested) "wasn’t well" could in any way be considered an appology) indicating he probably did commit (at least some of) the acts for which he was charged, and will likely be facing jail for these actions - which include a mandatory minimum sentence of 49 years if he's convicted of all charges, according to the article.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

10 Aug 2021, 8:09 am

! Cornflake wrote:
Less personal recriminations and more on the apolitical side of the topic, please.
Posts have been removed to steer the topic back on track.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 8:30 pm

Well, it appears he has resigned:

Quote:
Last week, a teenage boy dialed up Arizona state Sen. Otoniel “Tony” Navarrete, 35, and confronted him with a question that had been weighing on him for the past several years: Why, the teen asked, had the man molested him?

An apologetic Navarrete responded that he “wasn’t well,” according to an arrest report reviewed by The Washington Post.

“I’m sorry, mijo,” Navarrete allegedly told the teen, using a Spanish term of affection.

Phoenix police, who had been recording the call with the teen’s permission, arrested Navarrete hours later. The state lawmaker, who is accused of sexually abusing the teenager and a second younger boy, now faces seven felony charges related to the accusations.

On Tuesday, Navarrete resigned from office, citing the ongoing criminal case.

“I adamantly deny all allegations that have been made and will pursue all avenues in an effort to prove my innocence. In doing so, I will be focusing the vast majority of my time and energy on my defense,” he said in a Tuesday email blast from his campaign account.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/11/arizona-navarrete-arrested-resigned/