Did your romantic partners have a (suspected) disorder and w

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

did your romantic partner(s) have certain (suspected) disorder?
Autism( just as me) 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
AD(H)D 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Bipolair 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Borderline 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Anxiety 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
OCD 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dependancy 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Pizza.aspergia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2021, 7:35 am

I wonder if autistics are more likely to date people with certain disorders.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Aug 2021, 1:28 pm

I can not vote in this poll because all 6 things could apply & then some & I can only chose up to 3. My 1st girlfriend had BAD ADHD, Dyslexia, & a little OCD. My 2nd girlfriend was autistic & also had some anxiety & maybe some OCD. My current girlfriend has BAD depression, BAD anxiety, BAD OCD, Avoidant Personality Disorder, probably Social Phobia, probably is on the boarder of having Borderline, very probably has PTSD, is very dependent, & she has LOTS of symptoms of ADHD, Bipolar, & Autism. She has a family history of all the disorders I've mentioned for her with different family members having different disorders. It's very difficult to say exactly what she has because there is aLOT of overlap between things. It is extremely difficult to determine what is a cause & what is an effect sometimes.

I have a lot more going on with me mentally as well than just autism. I have Dyslexia, ADD, Anxiety, OCD, & Panic Disorder. I screwed up my 1st two relationships because my BAD anxiety, BAD OCD, & my panic disorder. I became very controlling in a futile attempt to reduce my anxiety. I fell into a sever depression when my 1st relationship ended & my GP diagnosed me with Bipolar Disorder & referred me to a psychiatrist who changed it to Aspergers, Borderline Personality Disorder, & Codependency. After I screwed up my 2nd relationship I realized that my BAD anxiety & BAD OCD, & the panic disorder played a major part & I researched meds to treat that & found good success with a couple. I do not have the panic disorder anymore & my anxiety & OCD are a lot better though still far from perfect, my anxiety & OCD are manageable now. I'm aLOT more stable within my current relationship as a result. I highly doubt that I would get the Borderline Personality Disorder & Codependency labels nowadays. I believe I had a Psychotic Depression at the time. This stuff is probably why me & my current girlfriend are a great match sometimes. I can relate to having a lot of her mental issues because I've been there myself. I researched things aLOT & tried working on myself in various ways. Being supportive(or at least trying to be) is actually probably one of my biggest relationship strengths which is something lots of Aspies would likely have major problems with. I don't do it in a typical NT way though. I'm much more direct & straightforward about things but my girlfriend usually appreciates that so it works. I tend to have a very hard time with normal non-disabled NTs. They are not direct & straightforward enough for me to understand & they find me too blunt & offensive & rude. We also can not understand where each other are coming from & they tend to judge me in very negative ways. They are unwilling to give me a real chance & put forth a bit of effort towards compromising & meeting me halfway with things. I'm written off as bad before they get to know me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 1:56 pm

I need to check all 7. :?

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 5:42 pm

My first one had undiagnosed schizophrenia and back then I thought he was some sort of aspie and OCD but yet I thought he was just lazy and didn't want to be an adult and would rather play his computer game.

My second one I thought was aspie but then I thought they were a narcissist. Turns out my ex was borderline disorder so close enough. Yes my ex fits the stereotype of why this illness is stigmatized.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 5:49 pm

My last partner dropped the bomb that he thought he had BPD a bit before we stopped talking. I don't try to demonize people with personality disorders, and I get that they are struggling and have a legitimate issue, but if he did have BPD I never want to be in a relationship with someone who has that unmanaged ever again.