Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PrincessInWonderLand
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2021, 5:42 pm

Ever since I started working I haven't been able to follow directions, I've been working since 16 I'm now in my 20s, the first job I had was fast food, I kept messing up the sandwiches countless times the boss would tell me how to make it literally right behind me and I would still screw it up I remember my coworkers laughing saying wtf giggling. So I only had that job during the summer, next job I had at a grocery store, stocking shelves. I don't know why but for some reason my brain couldn't comprehend how to place these sodas on the shelf so I tell my manger all these sodas won't fit. She rolls her eyes and rearranges the soda's to fit perfectly, once I see her do it I do it I felt like a complete idiot. She says to me "You really need to use common sense." I quit that job, take another job at a fast food place, I get fired from there for messing up the order too many times they sent me home about two hours into my shift I had worked there for about a month. I also have issues with the coworkers, they always look at me strangely or start laughing and snickering whenever I show up to work, but that's a different issue.

What the heck is wrong with me, I haven't been diagnosed with Asperger's but my mother had suspected it when was in middle school but she just thinks I'm lazy at this point. I'm trying to find another job now but I know I'll get fired within a month. It's like I can't focus on anything, I forget conversations right after having them, I misplace things, I have no clue if this is an Asperger's symptom or what but it's taking a toll on my life for years now.

I would see someone to get a real diagnosis but I have no money at the moment

TheEmptyShell
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Aug 2021, 5:33 am

Hello PrincessInWonderland. So sorry to hear about your job experiences. I am not a medical expert, maybe somebody on here is and can give you an explanation. If I had to guess, it sounds more like ADHD than Asperger's because of what you're saying about lack of focus, but please take this with a very small grain of salt. Hopefully you will find an answer soon and wishing you all the best.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 6:24 am

Sounds like you should go to college.

Fast food sucks as a career. You can do better than that.

Or at least go for a clerical job in an office. I’ve been doing exactly that for 40 years.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 11:18 am

Telecommute jobs where you can minimize distractions

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 12:14 pm

Sounds like some executive functioning issues w/ short term memory, planning, focus etc. Personally, I've found those symptoms to be caused by a food acid sensitivity that can be controlled via diet and supplementing minerals (magnesium and sulphur via epsom salts on my skin) to detox the excess acids.

As for type of work, perhaps seek something hyper repetitive that doesn't involve producing customized orders or a large menu of different items. You may find that you can focus well enough to do one simple repetitive task over and over and over again in a decent rhythm all shift. Unloading trucks, manufacturing or packaging something, cleaning etc - somewhere where you do the same thing over and over and over again so then you only have to watch the clock and ensure you're completing enough of the task per hour to accomplish your target for a full shift. That way you don't have complications of complex multi-step tasks or trying to remember several different things - just a singular process to focus on mastering and ensuring you're able to repeat enough times/shift to earn your pay and keep your job.