No, and I am other ND 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, and I am NT 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
No, and I am NT 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 29

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 10:11 am

I was thinking about my nail biting and googled "nail biting". I was only slighted surprised that ASD wasn't listed as conditions associated with nail biting. Oh right, autism is still dirty word. They aren't concerned that someone will conclude "I bite my nails, I must have OCD". But they wouldn't want anyone to think they might be ASD. OK, that's enough ranting for now.

The overall prevalence of adults who regularly bite nails is 20%. I think we might be a bit higher than that.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 10:21 am

I used to bite my nails as a kid all the time. After having braces I don't do it anymore, though.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 11:06 am

Cant answer pole as I have not been assessed.

I used to be always biting my nails as a kid during stressful times but then I was told off many times so I stopped. I would then rub my fingernails into my skin and cause skin to bleed etc.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 11:40 am

I used to when I was a child. Apparently it's fairly common (30-60%?) in kids, not so much in adults (10%?). So I'm normal, it seems.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 12:22 pm

I actually have always hated the feeling of biting my nails.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 1:19 pm

Most things won't include autism when you look them up, because not everything is an "Aspie thing".

I bite my nails, always have done.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 2:05 pm

Nail biting is several kinds of disgusting ...to me. But to each his own.

I went through a phase of nail biting -tried to force myself to acquire the habit...so I wouldnt have to buy nail clippers. Because some friend did it. Would bit his nails so short that he never had to clip them.

Couldnt deal with it. Cant even deal with listing the reasons- so gross. Went back to nail clippers.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 2:08 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Nail biting is several kinds of disgusting ...to me. But to each his own.

I went through a phase of nail biting -tried to force myself to acquire the habit...so I wouldnt have to buy nail clippers. Because some friend did it. Would bit his nails so short that he never had to clip them.

Couldnt deal with it. Cant even deal with listing the reasons- so gross. Went back to nail clippers.

The white ends of my nails are actually super uneven and gross looking where they start, from biting my nails short as a kid. I wouldn't recommend it. lol

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2021, 3:46 pm

Yes, I bite my nails but, that's the least of it. I also bite the cuticles and the skin around the nails. Yeah, I know it's gross but am getting into details in the event that someone sees their behavior. Anyway, the skin all around my nails is callused really badly from this habit. So much so that when I tried to stop it about nine months ago for the first time in my life, I ran into a couple of problems.

First, the calluses get so thick that the nail tip ends up growing into the callus. The second problem was trying to use my cell phone. Apparently, the phone recognizes that you're tapping the screen not from the pressure but due to the temperature of our bodies through the fingertips. Calluses are dead skin; there's no blood flowing just under the surface so there is no recognition by the phone that I'm tapping it. I had to start answer my phone with various other parts of me (like my nose). Eventually I gave up but five days ago I talked to my doctor about it and he's got me filing the calluses down every day as I let them grow back this time.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 4:33 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

I like the idea of saving money, but I suspect that method would have been false economy. It's said to be bad for the teeth (think dentist bills, pain, loss of time, anxiety), and if I remember right, biting the nails involves making a small nick at one side and then using that to tear the unwanted part of the nail off, and sometimes the tear goes in the wrong direction and too much is removed, making the finger end sore. Also most people would also find it difficult to bite their toenails, so they'd probably need to buy clippers anyway.

I have to keep the nails on my left hand as short as possible so I can play the guitar. Unfortunately I had an accident with a "flymo" (an old type of lawn strimmer with a sharp metal blade), and the result is that the nail on my index finger is hard to trim right down without nicking the flesh. I found that the right kind of scissors - small ones with long handles and short blades - are more suitable for a precision trim. Surprisingly, I also found them to be the most effective thing for my toenails, which are so thick and strong that even purpose-built toenail clippers can't cut them. Not much use for trimming the nails of the dominant hand though.

Fun fact: Nails can be trimmed very effectively using an old-fashioned razor blade, though only by somebody who has the necessary skill, otherwise of course it's dangerous, and there are probably very few people with such competence these days. Somebody once trimmed my toenails that way, and did a really good job.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 5:06 pm

I have always picked them. Biting them is gross and clippers are unnecessary.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 6:32 pm

I'll bite my nails if I break one and there's a jagged bit. Just so it won't snag on things until I can sort it out properly.

I used to bite the skin either side of my nails - the "corners" - if I was stressed. I don't know why really. I don't do it so much now, though every so often I find myself doing it without thinking. I'm guessing that's a neatness / control thing?

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 9:17 pm

Udinaas wrote:
I have always picked them. Biting them is gross and clippers are unnecessary.

So have I since I was 5.

They don't look good since as a result of picking, the skin around the nail is kind of uneven and I end up picking that too. Then it bleeds and looks terrible until it heals. Because there's 10 of them to pick at, there's always one at the trying to heal stage. I've never seen anyone with nails as bad as mine and I'm very self conscious about it. Right now only my thumbs are semi-decent, my right pinky is the worst because I've picked beyond where it should grow to at the end of the finger. The ring finger next to it is almost as bad. I'm trying to grow that back.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 1:09 am

As a child and even as a teenager, yes.

But later than that, no.
Yet as of now... I can't.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2021, 1:24 am

I have bitten my nails down to the point where they are rather surprisingly short. And despite that I still do so.

I am awaiting diagnosis, so I can't answer the poll.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 1:54 pm

As a side note, I rarely need to trim my fingernails. Usually they naturally start to break just before they get long enough to be annoying. Usually starting with just a little break at one side, which I typically notice, and then I slowly and carefully tear it, to keep it from tearing too far down anywhere. Then I use a nail on my other hand to smooth the edge. I can’t stand nail filing. But I do have to trim my toenails.

I get comments on how nice my nails look, and have even been asked if they’re real, which I find very amusing since I do absolutely nothing with them, including trimming :lol:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"