Ways in which NTs and Aspies are the same?

Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 7:29 am

Jayo wrote:
OK, well what you just described in this list reveals an overarching (or underlying, whichever) theme of us ASD folks lacking applied smarts, as opposed to intellectual smarts. The "how I go about it" clearly bespeaks the applied part.
Asperger activitst Rudy Simone once said something like "on the average, we have a higher fluid intelligence (than NTs), but we do not have a higher crystalized intelligence, which is the ability to apply knowledge."

Which is why, both pre- and post-diagnosis / awareness of ASD, we were told things like we lacked common sense, and getting abrasive replies like "I don't understand how you could be so smart, yet so stupid."
8O

I resemble that comment. :twisted:

Thank you for the insight and terminology.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 10:19 am

While I agree that it is a "feel good" answer to say "I'm OK, You're OK" and "Hey! You and I are really just the same down deep", I have to say it is, at best, a partial truth. We can make arguments for the "sameness" but to say "there is no difference" is a clear overstatement.

There are physical differences in the brain:

Computers, Math, Science, and Technology - What's the differences between NT Brains and non-NT Brains

There are differences in behavior:

General Autism Discussion - Can someone please explain the DSM?

Using the concept of the Venn diagram you might be able to say that where there are not differences there are similarities.

I really don't understand people who want to say "no difference, really".

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2021, 3:56 pm

[quote][/If an NT woke up with Asperger's tomorrow after a life time of being neurotypical, they'll commit suicide within a week. quote]

I won't argue against that except to say that some NTs have been through mental and emotional torment they might gladly exchange for any number of other conditions or challenges. (I have no intention of starting a suffering contest--please don't go there!)

How do you imagine it might it be, on the other hand, to wake up as an NT after as many years as you've lived with all your own struggles? For better or worse, I can only believe the sudden change might be quite disorienting--at least at first.