Page 3 of 8 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 11:36 pm

The last game I won has to be a game of Rummikub.

The last game I beat (again) is the original Doom. 3 episodes, Ultra Violence, no saves, pistol start on death, blind run after not playing for many years. Some later levels are quite visceral from a pistol start on a blind run.

I always genuinely believed that Doom II is the better game, with the additional monsters, the double-barrel shotgun, and better level architecture, but I have to concede that after trying the same run on Doom II with no save-scumming, I have come to realize just how dickish some of the maps are with all those chaingunners and pain elementals, especially from a pistol start in the second half of the game.

The Mauve Factor
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2022, 1:11 am

Just 100%'ed THPS 1+2. Admittedly the game isn't difficult at all, I can rank ~1,000 on the global speedrun charts on my first try, and I'm really out of practice.

But hey, sometimes the easy games are fun, too. I rarely ever beat anything, so you've got to hold onto those you can!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 11:49 am

The Mauve Factor wrote:
Admittedly the game isn't difficult at all...

...says you ¬_¬

The Mauve Factor

16 Oct 2022, 4:11 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
The Mauve Factor wrote:
Admittedly the game isn't difficult at all...

...says you ¬_¬

I'll admit I have an extremely warped sense of difficulty due to being bad at mostly everything other people find easy! Throw a basic FPS at me and I'll probably die irrecoverably on the first level! I've even practiced enough that it's just some kind of mental block, and the same exists for anything related to traditional strategy games.

But alas, I thought OlliOlli and OlliOlli 2 were easy games as well until I read the reviews

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2023, 1:10 pm

rFactor:

1st place in the Interlagos Revival 300 km (SEC)
9th place in the 90 minutes of Interlagos Revival (PARRC)
1st place in the Goiania 150 km (PARRC)

And now on to Daytona for the third event on the SEC calendar, 500 km around the Daytona oval. After that it's off to California; PARRC and SEC both have races at Riverside and SEC has a race at Fontana.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 11:35 am

Fnord wrote:
3D chess by email.

Simply put, total respect. It's the fact you play by e-mail that makes me smile and think "nice."

To answer the question.
I generally do not win games anymore. I enjoy the puzzle leading to the outcome, but the actual outcome does not matter.

When I've played Magic the Gathering, I am an average player and a really good loser. It's actually awkward when I win. I prefer the other person wins.

I normally play "sandbox" games where there is no winner or loser.

So I believe the answer is Catan, last summer, with my sons, who usually win.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 11:32 am

Beetlejuice on the NES @_@
It's not too bad once you get used to it, but...
Half of the game is your typical NES-era "sit and grind for a while and max out all your powerups".
It takes a minute to learn not to blindly jump/fall off ledges, because the screen will not scroll down and you will fall to death.
You have to read the manual to find out what some of the things do.
Going down the beetle holes and wiping them out seems to be counter-productive.

Once I got into the house (overhead view section), I gave up trying not to cheat, and started using save states. It's way too easy to get sent to Saturn, and once you're there, you might as well give up and start over.

Yikes.

If I really sat down and practiced, I could probably finish it without cheating, but what would be the reward?

The Mauve Factor wrote:
I'll admit I have an extremely warped sense of difficulty due to being bad at mostly everything other people find easy!

Could be. I haven't hooked up my Dreamcast in a while, but I remember being stuck at a point where you needed more points to unlock the next area, and I couldn't get any more >_<

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2023, 6:38 pm

1st place at Auto Club Speedway.
Now on to Riverside.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 5:37 pm

1st place at Riverside, led flag to flag.
Now on to Texas Motor Speedway.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 6:15 pm

Strip Monopoly

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

03 Apr 2023, 10:29 pm

House of the Dead II in an arcade, just after the turn of the Millineum.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2023, 10:45 pm

I finally won two games as the Nordiques. I need to make some more trades, I want a faster team.
I didn't trade Mats Sundin, but did acquire Patrick Roy.
I did(n't undo the deal to) trade Eric Lindros, but he ended up on the Leafs. At some point I ended up with Rhoads in exchange for Fiset.
Gretzky, McSorley and Messier are back on Edmonton.
I snagged Bob Probert and Darius Kasparitus as well.
I realized I should probably have players specifically for PP and PK, otherwise the lines get too exhausted.

I need to figure out how to do rom hacks. I believe it's possible to add teams, although the way the season system works makes me uncertain.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2023, 9:45 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I need to figure out how to do rom hacks. I believe it's possible to add teams, although the way the season system works makes me uncertain.

A lot of games, especially popular sports games, people will make utilities to easily edit them.

Adding new teams is possible (provided you can allocate enough ROM space), but probably very difficult, especially for someone who's never hacked before.
It would be a lot easier to replace existing teams.

There are a lot of resources out there to help get started, especially for older systems. Some systems/games are easier to hack than others and/or have better tools available. I started out just doing graphical hacks, but I've slowly learned a bit of assembly and how to use some of the debuggers.

This utility looks quite extensive: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/290/

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2023, 2:49 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

A lot of games, especially popular sports games, people will make utilities to easily edit them.

Adding new teams is possible (provided you can allocate enough ROM space), but probably very difficult, especially for someone who's never hacked before.
It would be a lot easier to replace existing teams.

There are a lot of resources out there to help get started, especially for older systems. Some systems/games are easier to hack than others and/or have better tools available. I started out just doing graphical hacks, but I've slowly learned a bit of assembly and how to use some of the debuggers.

This utility looks quite extensive: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/290/

I've already got NOSE downloaded and I'm reading over what I can find about the 95-98 Genesis games.

I know 94 has a lot more rom hacks, which makes me think the season system is relevant.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2023, 1:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I've already got NOSE downloaded and I'm reading over what I can find about the 95-98 Genesis games.

I know 94 has a lot more rom hacks, which makes me think the season system is relevant.

Nice.
I don't think I've done any Genesis hacking yet.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2023, 1:12 pm

Slay the Spire :-)