Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2021, 4:11 pm

This summer vacation I have done something which is quite extreme to some people, but not so to others.

Since August 2020 I have an own car. I financed it with Private Lease. I pay about 240 euros a months and have a car for 5 years. It is a Kia Picanto. I have been in several places since then.

But in this summer I went from Enschede, where I live to Berlin. I was there for three days. It is a bit of a challenge to drive in Berlin, but not really difficult. I have Google Maps navigation, and I do love that. From there I went to Spreewald and Dresden. These are really lovely places.

The following three days I went to Gerolstein and Cologne (in Western Germany). The problem is the flood catastrophe in some areas. So I went to Gerolstein for one day and to Cologn for two days. I do everything by driving. I have seen Trier and the Kölner Dom (an awesome building).

Then I went through Belgium to Paris. Paris is a difficult place to drive. There are lots and lots of motor scooters and motorcycles. They make me crazy. My father would compare them with hornets. I was driving in the center of Paris. It would be better if I would go to one of the suburbs of Paris and book a hotel there, and then go to the center of Paris by metro or other kind of public transit. I am glad that I am at a parking lot or on the Boulevard Périphérique, because the traffic is more organized and have access to the French highway, which is not very different from Dutch highways. I have been to Disneyland.

Then I went back to the Netherlands, to Breda, a town close to the Dutch/Belgian border. I went to Brussels, Antwerpen, Gent and Brugge. They are very beautiful Belgian cities.

I have been driving 3795 km in total which is an extreme lot! It is longer than Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles (once I want to drive that too).

Why did I do this? We are in a situation which is called a "corona pandemic" with lockdowns or partial lifting of the lockdowns, with less and less freedom to travel. I think the truth about that "pandemic" is different from what the politicians try to make us believe. Now I have something to remember. The future is very uncertain. The politicians are taken more and more rights, especially to those who are not vaccinated. I could go to Berlin, Cologne, Paris and the Belgian cities. Will I be able to do that when I wait?

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2021, 7:06 pm

That trip sounds pretty special!

I too love long drives.
I have driven from Perth to Melbourne in Australia (3,407kms) 4 times now and it never fails to bring me deep joy.
It is mostly uninhabited country and desert marked by tiny little road houses. I’ve seen dingoes and watched a blood red full moon rise over an uninhibited horizon. Stunning.

We are in and out of lockdown here too. Currently in our 6th. I believe the media perpetuates fear and compliance. I miss long drives and my family back West… I’m not sure when I’ll see them again due to border restrictions :cry: .

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2021, 1:44 am

The lockdown measures are crazy. There is some traveling freedom in Western Europe. Some countries requires one of the following:
- being partially or fully vaccinated;
- a recent test result of 24, 48 or 72 hours old;
- having had COVID-19.

I will not ever take a corona vaccination, because I don't trust the politicians nor the vaccins. Also if it means I lose my job or they put me in jail. The truth about all this can't be hidden forever. There will be a victory for the humanity and the politicians will face long emprisonment or death penalty.

chaosmos
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2021, 3:43 am

hmk66 wrote:
The lockdown measures are crazy. There is some traveling freedom in Western Europe. Some countries requires one of the following:
- being partially or fully vaccinated;
- a recent test result of 24, 48 or 72 hours old;
- having had COVID-19.

I will not ever take a corona vaccination, because I don't trust the politicians nor the vaccins. Also if it means I lose my job or they put me in jail. The truth about all this can't be hidden forever. There will be a victory for the humanity and the politicians will face long emprisonment or death penalty.

I absolutely agree. I’m glad some countries are allowing you to travel without a vaccine. Having had a virus and building immunity yourself should be valid! As you can imagine, all the constantly changing plans that come with lockdown is really challenging: at school, back to remote learning, back to school, constant adaptation, struggling kids, isolation, screen time blow-outs (I’m a teacher).

I hope there is fight back one day, but currently I see my peers and colleagues beaten down, disenchanted, complacent and terrified. Whilst I am not terrified of disease and death, I am terrified of not being able to choose what to do to my body and the ultimate neo-fascism emerging in our government.

And I mean, I quite like lockdown because I get extra time at home to do some of the things I love without the pressure of having to have a strict, on-site work schedule. But overall, and for extended periods of time, it’s pretty s**t!

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2021, 7:21 am

I definitely agree (with the above post).

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 9:50 am

Sounds exciting hmk66! I’m just back from doing similar, and am no stranger to lease hiring cars in the past, though now own an electric Nissan Leaf(instead of costing £150 in fuel for a recent driving trip up the East coast of England, travelling 700miles overall, it only cost me £5 in charging costs).

Prior to this, I’ve travelled, driving in many different countries, once drove the entire East coast of the US and live for the adventures! I moved from Australia to England, making the decision overnight and moved within 3 months of that decision. Life is an adventure! No matter the obstacles.

I was fascinated to read about your trip! I plan on visiting Dresden in the future. I made a Dresden quilt. My ancestry is half German, though I know very little of the family history. The other half is Irish. My surname is very German!

You mentioned travelling to stave off this feeling you have of being held back from your freedoms? I travelled hugely(to 6 different countries in 2 years) after having felt held back for other reasons. So, I had the memories, the photos to enjoy and look back on throughout the lockdowns here in England.

Now, I’m free to travel, but choose to travel only in England for now. I’m learning so much and meeting some pretty amazing people with incredible stories from the past in my journeys now.

I hope you stay safe and can continue your travels as as safely as possible, living your life freely.

Mouka
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2021, 1:31 pm

That sounds fun! I like to drive in the countryside, but driving in cities is too overwhelming for me. Traffic is a big no-no. Driving across the US on back roads is good fun though.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 7:23 pm

I just got back from a two-week road trip (with stops). Made possible in part by pandemic unemployment. I love to travel.