Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2021, 8:31 pm

I am watching the first season of Bewitched on DVD and I am noticing it seems like the show was ahead of its times. Because in it it was bringing up issues people are talking about today but in the show it is about witches that are the minority and are oppressed and face prejudice instead of people of color and other minorities.

Sam brought up to Darin about how she feels about how witches are portrayed and when they are used as Halloween costumes and this made me think about how Natives feel when people wrongly portray them and use them as logos and costumes. Sam also brought up the negative stereotypes about them and it reminded me of how the minorities have spoken up against negative stereotypes about them. Sam also keeps calling her husband out on his prejudice on witches.

People today like to say TV and film have gone woke but I want to say this is not anything new and even back in the 1960s, these issues were being brought up but in this TV show I don't know if they did this as comedy or did it as they were aware of the issues then but this time decided it was witches. Also Sam brought up how they used to be murdered and back then for witch craft. I knew she was referring to the Salem stuff when women would be accused of witches and be put to death. But it made me think of black people being murdered for crimes they didn't commit and trans people being murdered and gay people for gay panic. Also Sam is trying to make herself live like a mortal and it made me think that in the TV show, life is made for mortals and this is how the minority feel that American culture is made for white people so they are forced to live like us. I guess in the TV show, it was implied it's part of their witch culture to do witchcraft and make things appear magically and go anywhere magically and move things with their spells.

I must say the first season makes me think of what is going on today and the hot topic we have now which the right wing like to call woke and SJW.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 1:27 pm

And I just saw an episode where Sam's father did not approved of mixed marriages meaning he did not approve of mortals and witches marrying each other.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.