Google teaming up with Stanford to hire Autistics

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 7:24 am

Google Launches Program To Hire More People With Autism

Quote:
Google is teaming up with Stanford University in an effort to make its workforce more neurodiverse.

The technology giant said recently that it is launching a new program aimed at bringing more people with autism into its cloud workforce and supporting them better.

With Google Cloud’s Autism Career Program, the company said that it will work with experts from the Stanford Neurodiversity Project — part of the university’s medical school — to train as many as 500 Google Cloud managers and others who are integral in the hiring process to work more effectively with candidates who have autism.

In addition, there will be changes to the interview process for those who are part of the Autism Career Program in order to be more accommodating, according to Rob Enslin, president of global customer operations for Google Cloud. Candidates with autism may receive extra interview time, be offered questions in advance or be able to do their interview in writing.

“These accommodations don’t give those candidates an unfair advantage,” Enslin said in a blog post about the new program. “It’s just the opposite: They remove an unfair disadvantage so candidates have a fair and equitable chance to compete for the job.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by Cornflake on 20 Aug 2021, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.: Corrected title spelling

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2021, 12:19 am

This program is just for Stanford University grads, Stanford being one of the very top universities for tech. Indeed the entire Silicon Valley industrial community is, to a large degree, an outgrowth of Stanford University.

To get similar accommodations for autistic workers more generally (and perhaps eventually to get the corporate hiring process reformed more generally, for everyone including NT's), we need to organize.

If enough of us form and join career-oriented groups of autistic people who work or want to work in some particular category of professions / occupations / jobs, then corporations will reach out to these groups as a source of talent, just at they reach out to organizations like the National Association of Black Accountants when they want to diversify racially.

(For a list of some of the professional / occupational categories I envision, see my Autistic Workers Project page.)

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 12:31 pm

It's worth mentioning that Stanford is a top, selective, elite university, sometimes called the Harvard of the West.

Graduates from four-year programs there, or even more so, graduates from masters and doctorate level programs, are going to be very very smart, much smarter than the average autistic person. They might well get decent tech jobs even without a boost like this one. Be assured, this arrangement benefits Google as much as Stanford grads, because they will be getting brainy, accomplished, top notch people.

My brother graduated from Stanford with a Ph.D. in electrical engineering and has had a comfortable and lucrative career in a Palo Alto think tank. Yes, he's autistic, although that's just my diagnosis - I'm unaware of him ever being diagnosed.

Although we can hope for more career pathways to open up for people with autism, it is a little unrealistic to compare ourselves or the general autism population to those ultra smart Stanford grads.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2021, 1:11 pm

Mona, I love your activism!! !! !!

Having been bullied out of my last job, I am so beaten down. I would like to be proud and effective (or at least appropriate irate), but it escapes me. Nobody in my last workplace disclosed. I can't decide whether I want to disclose my Autism in my next workplace much less during the interview process although surely my "quirkiness" is apparent. It would have to be a supportive work environment and so far I have not met one. Still "between jobs" here.

Google is probably over half ND people anyway --- I hope it figures out how to generally accommodate its majority.