Applied for a job and did not mention I am autistic

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 8:21 am

I kind of regret it, but I know that I would regret mentioning it because places don’t want to hire anyone with autism. Seems like a good job too.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 8:29 am

You did the right thing.

Most employers are not exactly enlightened when it comes to autism.

I've been on my job 40 years, and I have civil service protections----yet will not disclose my autism.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 9:48 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You did the right thing.

I've been on my job 40 years, and I have civil service protections----yet will not disclose my autism.

They had something about how they are diverse in their hires and will not discriminate, but I know businesses will rather avoid dealing with all disabilities by not hiring them in the first place.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 10:07 am

Yep....pretty much.

And when you're hired, and you disclose, probably most will seek an excuse to fire you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 10:12 am

They have to have something about being diverse and not discriminating; it's the law (at least in the US, and probably in many other places).

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 10:38 am

If you didn't lie and don't expect special accommodations then it sounds OK to me. (Though I'm not a lawyer...thank goodness!)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 11:19 am

Especially when you're not asking for special accommodations, there's no use in "disclosing."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 8:50 pm

I am not going to disclose anymore.

I’m still faced with rabid ageism, though.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DevilMayAsian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2021, 8:12 am

I’ve never disclosed my autism to employers, but they can tell I have a disability. I don’t pass as NT. Some of them thought I had a intellectual disability. Which I don’t at all my IQ is at least above average.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2021, 9:06 am

Some countries have laws about disability accommodations

However, the employers can hire anyone they want and unless a former flunkie wins a civil lawsuit against the company, the flunkie can do nothing about it

Lawsuits sometimes take a lot of time cash and energy

Outcome not guaranteed

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 6:56 pm

At work I reported that I was disabled, but not in what way. On a recent application I did the same. I also am concerned about the current ignorance about Autism. That said, it would be "fun" to apply to a job and disclose, just to see if it went better than I expected. Test the waters, so to say. I'm learning to address my idiosyncrasies with simple statements: it really helps me to put my meeting notes in writing... I know I am smiling right now and it's b/c this is very sad and serious... (inappropriate by most NT standards, but many ASD persons would get it)

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2021, 11:10 pm

Why do you need to mention it, unless the job is at an organization that specifically works with autistic/neurodiverse people?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 1:27 am

I don't disclose it either, it's none of their business.

They already think I'm weird, I don't need to spell it out for them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 1:51 am

honeytoast wrote:
I kind of regret it, but I know that I would regret mentioning it because places don’t want to hire anyone with autism. Seems like a good job too.

what's the job?

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2021, 8:22 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I am not going to disclose anymore.

I’m still faced with rabid ageism, though.

Nor do I. I learned my lesson. I disclosed and it was used against me. So I won't do it again.

I don't think, my autism would prevent or affect the way I will do my job as an Executive Secretary.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2021, 8:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You did the right thing.

On the previous job I was fired, partly for being autistic, but I did my job well. Fired despite of doing my job well, was strange for me, but that did really happen. On my current job, it was a reason to not let me grow. "Someone on the spectrum won't "grow"," they think. It is about what they think, not what the reality is. I don't get more experienced.

An executive secretary job would be too hard for me, but I don't know how I will handle things. They don't know either, they just assume and therefore they think I am not suited for that. Although... I know people on the spectrum that are also executive secretaries. I know I would have to able to switch between tasks, and get interruptions, but I don't know whether I will handle that well. They don't know either, because they never really tried. They don't want to try, because they think it is not a good idea. But... too little stress gives... too much stress!

Now - and that is a good thing - they finally think of a career development or support to that. Then I will get somewhere.